Green Flag Laws - Page 2

Green Flag Laws

This is a discussion on Green Flag Laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Please tell me this is a joke...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree224Likes

Thread: Green Flag Laws

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Please tell me this is a joke
    baren likes this.

Green Flag Laws
    I like it. It ranks right up there with the "Green New Deal".

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonGuy View Post
    With all the talk about the awful red flag laws and how they've been applied in some states and how they're in the process of being applied in other states, I've got a proposal on how to fight red flag laws and I call it "green flag laws." With green flag laws you can enjoy "green flag status." The way you get green flag status is by undergoing a background check just as if you were buying a gun, you would be checked for any criminal, mental health, or substance abuse history and so forth. You would also have to get a few references, people who can vouch that you're a person of good character. Green flag status would be good for a year. When it expires it can be renewed by repeating the process above.

The benefits to being under green flag status are these. You are immune to being red flagged, so if somebody says you're a threat or whatever in a place that has a red flag law you would not get your guns seized prior to undergoing due process the way you would be if you didn't have green flag status. Also, when buying firearms from an FFL dealer you don't have to undergo a NICS check or any kind of background check since your green flag status would say that you're eligible to buy and own guns. So this is how we can fight against red flag laws, with green flag laws, just a thought.
    Photon Dude

I know why you say what you say, sort of an inverse red flag. A proactive thought, however I respectfully do not concur.

It is much better, my friend, that we have the right to be presumed innocent, and the right to be presumed green flag.

Keep the ideas coming, they stimulate thought and analysis.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    I think it's Yiddish.
    ...And it's misspelled!
    Rock and Glock and msgt/ret like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by KevinRohrer View Post
    We already have a "Green Flag Law". It is called the US Constitution's Second Amendment.
    The Doc isn't even close to what the OP is describing. The Doc requires no background check, no mental health check, no substance abuse check. How one could compate the OP's green flag idea to the Doc boggles.
    M1911A1 likes this.

I thought green flag would indicate people the state should give guns too, make it the exact opposite of the red flag.

Example, my neighbor calls to tell the authorities what a great guy I am, and later they bring me a new pistol free of charge

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I prefer the red,white and blue flag laws myself. No permits, no background checks. Some people in life are dangerous, I thought that was why we all carried guns?
    Ideally that's how it should be but do you have plans for making that so?

It has been happening all around us. The number of shall issue locations has increased in recent years, and the number of Constitutional carry locations has gone up too.

The suggested green flag laws are essentially the IL FOID card on steroids. Guilty until you have the means to prove you're innocent is not a direction we should advocate.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

I proudly open carry as much as I possibly can instead of being shamed to hide in the shadows like they are now convincing us to do. I have Trump and "gun stickers" on my truck as I will no longer cower from confrontation. Walmart banning open carry is meant to shame gun owners into crawling into the shadows. Soon we will gather in small groups in the dark and when the light is shined on us we will scurry into the dark corners like cockroaches. This is how they disarm us and then control us. We are fighting for the very survival of this country, this is not a game of which new gun did you buy or does my butt look big with this holster. This is not a hobby as it is for many even here, unfortunately. I have no doubt that most here will obey whatever "order" is given to be rounded up and would willingly turn in their guns just to avoid having to really stand up for something worth standing for. I also give to several pro gun organizations but, I will never come up with new laws to support no matter what color you use to make them sound innocuous.
    Bikenut, M1911A1 and Poorly like this.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    It has been happening all around us. The number of shall issue locations has increased in recent years, and the number of Constitutional carry locations has gone up too.

The suggested green flag laws are essentially the IL FOID card on steroids. Guilty until you have the means to prove you're innocent is not a direction we should advocate.
    The green flag laws I suggest would not mean you have to have green flag status to get guns, it would just mean that you're immune from being red flagged if you're ever in a state that has red flag laws and that you can bypass the background check if you buy guns from FFL dealers.

If we completely got rid of red flag laws and if we got rid of any kind of background check so that the only thing you have to do when you buy a gun, aside from paying for it, is to show your ID to show you're of legal age, then we wouldn't need green flag laws.

But, if we do get rid of background checks that would mean convicted felons would have access to guns and even in this forum there has been some debate and controversy regarding that.

The green flag laws I suggest would not mean you have to have green flag status to get guns, it would just mean that you're immune from being red flagged if you're ever in a state that has red flag laws and that you can bypass the background check if you buy guns from FFL dealers.

If we completely got rid of red flag laws and if we got rid of any kind of background check so that the only thing you have to do when you buy a gun, aside from paying for it, is to show your ID to show you're of legal age, then we wouldn't need green flag laws.

But, if we do get rid of background checks that would mean convicted felons would have access to guns and even in this forum there has been some debate and controversy regarding that.
    No way. I should never have to proactively prove my innocence in order to keep from having my rights stripped without due process.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

The green flag laws I suggest would not mean you have to have green flag status to get guns, it would just mean that you're immune from being red flagged if you're ever in a state that has red flag laws...[emphasis added]
    Um, but there are individual occasions within which "red flag" actions by the state are indeed called for.
    What is objectionable in today's "red flag" laws is the total lack of due process, of adversarial hearings, and of the admission of mitigating evidence.
    KILTED COWBOY and Poorly like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    Um, but there are individual occasions within which "red flag" actions by the state are indeed called for.
    What is objectionable in today's "red flag" laws is the total lack of due process, of adversarial hearings, and of the admission of mitigating evidence.
    Well that's exactly what a red flag law is, you can get your guns seized without any due process, adversarial hearings, and mitigating evidence. Lets say you accidentally cut somebody off on the road. They see a bumper sticker on your car that's an NRA sticker, or some other kind of sticker indicating you're a gun enthusiast, they can then call the police, give them your license plate, and tell them you threatened them with a gun and you would get red flagged and all your guns will be seized and then you would have to go through due process to get them back. That is how red flag laws work.
    msgt/ret and Merovius like this.

VIP Member
    No, no way, nada. Sounds too much like getting permission to exercise a constitutional right.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Not I.
    Appalachian Concealment

I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links