Wal-Mart Announcements: Master Thread - Page 8

Wal-Mart Announcements: Master Thread

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart Announcements: Master Thread within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by NECCdude https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan "In 1967, Reagan signed the Mulford Act, which repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms (becoming California Penal ...

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: Wal-Mart Announcements: Master Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan

"In 1967, Reagan signed the Mulford Act, which repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms (becoming California Penal Code 12031 and 171(c)). The bill, which was named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, garnered national attention after the Black Panthers marched bearing arms upon the California State Capitol to protest it."

It wasn't the first time Reagan signed anti-gun legislation. But, I'm not sure if I agree with what the Black Panthers did - I would have to go find some kind of video documentary to see what they actually did. I was a teenager at that point in time so I didn't pay a great deal of attention to the news or politics of that time frame.
    I’m not saying anyone has to agree with what they did. My point was that the law was signed by someone who wasn’t in favor of gun rights as it was. The black panthers were the excuse, not the reason. It’s not like aside from this one law, California had some great history of gun rights.
    Risasi likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array 19Kvet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DZUS View Post
    Interesting post. I do believe that this is exactly what happened some years ago in Cali. There were some in-your-face open carriers who got their pic in the news, and the liberal Cali leg jumped on the story and banned open carry shortly thereafter. (All if I correctly recall.)

Yes, and that ban has created a conflict in the courts as to what the "bear" arms part of the 2A means as the 9th Circuit tries to allow states to ban all carry while allowing people to bear arms.

The OC ban made the Peruta decision go the way it did and the Peruta decision made Young happen. The challenge to CA's may-issue CCW scheme will be interesting to watch and would not have happened without the California OC people.
    Havok and Bikenut like this.

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan

"In 1967, Reagan signed the Mulford Act, which repealed a law allowing public carrying of loaded firearms (becoming California Penal Code 12031 and 171(c)). The bill, which was named after Republican assemblyman Don Mulford, garnered national attention after the Black Panthers marched bearing arms upon the California State Capitol to protest it."...
    Having been there at the time, I'd like to suggest that, in this case, the Wikipedia article may have gotten it wrong. (I also suggest that Wikipedia is not always the best source of factual information.)
    I believe that it went as follows: First, the Black Panthers held a political demonstration while openly carrying firearms (which, I believe, were loaded). Next, the state legislature passed a new law forbidding open carry. Finally, Reagan signed the law.

At the time, the Black Panthers were a militant and para-military, social-progress organization. They were doing, and had been doing, quite a lot of good in the Bay Area's ghettos, but this time their justifiably-angry, militant behavior got every gun-owning Californian into trouble.
    Poorly and The Old Anglo like this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My friends buy from Walmart all the time. However, I have always bought 1-2K rounds at a time, online which beats Walmart, even with shipping and/or taxes.

They used to carry AR rifles, until a few years ago.

Walmart has always tried to wipe out local businesses. Now they’re trying to get on a high horse to look better in the eyes of liberals.

I never bought guns from them. I used to buy ammunition from them, until I started reloading.

I stopped going to Dicks Sporting goods. I never bought guns or ammunition, anyways, from them, because they were overpriced. Same went for Gander Mountain, which became Gander Outdoors, where I live.

Good riddance, Walmart. They speak with forked tongues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram CDR_Glock
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Opinions of Walmart aside, their decision to stop sales of "scary type" guns and ammo will decrease the access and familiarity of the general public to these things.

People not familiar with guns may feel intimidated or awkward going to a gun shop. I've been in enough gun shops to know many of them are not welcoming places to the general public, even though the owners and employees may not realize it.

Not everyone can afford to buy ammo in bulk, or would even if they could afford it. Some people just want to buy an inexpensive new gun, and a box or two of low priced ammo. Some of these people will never shoot those guns unless they have to. That's okay in my opinion as there are plenty of stories of successful defense by inexperienced people. Would I prefer these people train and shoot more? Of course, but the first step may be dipping their toes in the water.

Walmart is where many of these people shop, and this was a big win for the antis.
    Novarider likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Opinions of Walmart aside, their decision to stop sales of "scary type" guns and ammo will decrease the access and familiarity of the general public to these things...
    I'm not sure that this is an important factor.
    I believe that anti-gun sentiment is rooted elsewhere than in unfamiliarity.

I believe that it stems from the rise of "feminism," in which the newly-empowered women's movement seeks to "make up for thousands of years of subjugation."
    We see this in the replacement of reason with emotionalism, in Politically Correct fascism, in gender-language control, and in the foolish, irrational attempt to somehow erase all violence.
    Physical violence, they say, is a male thing, which, while essentially correct, begs the question, "But what about emotional violence, as practiced almost exclusively by women?" Evidently, that doesn't count.

It's almost an Orwellian case of "two legs bad, four legs good," except that the "leg" in question is the male member. Think of pejoratives like "mansplaining," and the nonsensical construction "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."*
    Men, after millennia of hunting and family protection, have a built-in (maybe genetic) fascination with weaponry. But "man things" are now decreed to be bad, so weaponry, hunting, and family protection are, by incorporation, all necessarily bad.

No amount of general familiarity with "black rifles" could ever overcome the modern need to depict men, their tools, and their beliefs as somehow wrong. And this includes the issues of patriotism, "American Exceptionalism," and controlled immigration into this country, all of which are viewed as "man issues," and all of which are therefore wrong.

*Actually, a sunken derelict bicycle makes an excellent, protective "reef," behind and within which fish may more safely live and spawn.
    graydude, msgt/ret and forester58 like this.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post

I believe that it stems from the rise of "feminism," in which the newly-empowered women's movement seeks to "make up for thousands of years of subjugation."
    We see this in the replacement of reason with emotionalism, in Politically Correct fascism, in gender-language control, and in the foolish, irrational attempt to somehow erase all violence.
    Physical violence, they say, is a male thing, which, while essentially correct, begs the question, "But what about emotional violence, as practiced almost exclusively by women?" Evidently, that doesn't count.

It's almost an Orwellian case of "two legs bad, four legs good," except that the "leg" in question is the male member. Think of pejoratives like "mansplaining," and the nonsensical construction "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."*
    Men, after millennia of hunting and family protection, have a built-in (maybe genetic) fascination with weaponry. But "man things" are now decreed to be bad, so weaponry, hunting, and family protection are, by incorporation, all necessarily bad.

No amount of general familiarity with "black rifles" could ever overcome the modern need to depict men, their tools, and their beliefs as somehow wrong. And this includes the issues of patriotism, "American Exceptionalism," and controlled immigration into this country, all of which are viewed as "man issues," and all of which are therefore wrong.

*Actually, a sunken derelict bicycle makes an excellent, protective "reef," behind and within which fish may more safely live and spawn.
    Agreed. Words like .. murses.. moobs... and hair styles like man buns show the pussification of men has been very effective.
    forester58 likes this.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Is it really an either/or concept? IMO the Walmart decision will lead to an acceleration of the emasculation of society, rather than inhibiting it.
    G-man* likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Is it really an either/or concept? IMO the Walmart decision will lead to an acceleration of the emasculation of society, rather than inhibiting it.
    Yes, exactly.
    That was my point.
    Steve

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    My Wife open carried at Wally World yesterday.
    Nothing different than any other day.
    So far.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Significant New Development

Reported by the VCDL and in the article linked below. There was an incident at a Walmart in Kentucky where someone open carrying a handgun was approached by police and asked to sign a trespass document saying he acknowledges being banned from Walmart property anywhere in the U.S., indefinitely. That contradicts the official policy as laid out by Walmart's CEO.

The VCDL has also heard from a third party that Walmart is going to post their stores "no open carry." However, the VCDL is saying that report is unconfirmed. However, the VCDL is advising its members not to open carry in Walmart stores until this all shakes out.

https://concealednation.org/2019/09/...un-in-walmart/
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Which is a major if not THE major reason for the creation of "mass shooters" disaffected white males being told they should be ashamed to be born American, even more ashamed to be born white and that every male character trait is wrong and the very reason for every ill in society. Also the reason behind the rise in men trying to become women either physically or emotionally or both. Look at the men in cities for example. Last time I was in Denver I thought there was a gay convention in town...nope, just the so called "normal" metro and lumbersexuals. Painted nails, earrings, hairdos and skinny jeans. I could not get out fast enough.
    The left created the crisis and now wants to use that same crisis to shred the Constitution.
    M1911A1, Wolf357 and AKADave like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Opinions of Walmart aside, their decision to stop sales of "scary type" guns and ammo will decrease the access and familiarity of the general public to these things.

People not familiar with guns may feel intimidated or awkward going to a gun shop. I've been in enough gun shops to know many of them are not welcoming places to the general public, even though the owners and employees may not realize it.

Not everyone can afford to buy ammo in bulk, or would even if they could afford it. Some people just want to buy an inexpensive new gun, and a box or two of low priced ammo. Some of these people will never shoot those guns unless they have to. That's okay in my opinion as there are plenty of stories of successful defense by inexperienced people. Would I prefer these people train and shoot more? Of course, but the first step may be dipping their toes in the water.

Walmart is where many of these people shop, and this was a big win for the antis.
    +1000 to this.

My wife wouldn't step foot in a gun store if I didn't go with her and she's VERY pro gun. Why? The way she's been treated by gun store employees. They've even been rude and talked down to her with me standing right next to her. They lost a sale that day. It's absolutely mind blowing that they would treat women like that but they do.

There's a gun store here locally that I won't even go to because of the way they treat people that aren't "good ol boys". I've been talked down to by them and I knew more about the guns in their case than they did!
    Wolf357 and Wavygravy like this.

It seems that most of the request by businesses for not carrying in their establishments emphasize open carry. Does that mean they distinguish concealed from this or do they not understand what they are requesting?

Quote Originally Posted by AKADave View Post
    It seems that most of the request by businesses for not carrying in their establishments emphasize open carry. Does that mean they distinguish concealed from this or do they not understand what they are requesting?
    I would like these establishments to clarify this as well.

Regardless, until these places install metal detectors and guards at the entrance, I WILL continue to carry concealed.
    AKADave likes this.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links