Online research and analytics to decide who can buy a gun?

This is a discussion on Online research and analytics to decide who can buy a gun? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Google was recently busted for manipulating their search results to favor some positions that match the company's world view. Another topic entirely. But reading this.....I ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 4 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 1 Post By HotBrass45

Thread: Online research and analytics to decide who can buy a gun?

Google was recently busted for manipulating their search results to favor some positions that match the company's world view. Another topic entirely.

But reading this.....I hope this isn't the case. I would have a hard time voting for him next year. Let's talk about big brother.

https://dailycaller.com/2019/08/22/t...ol-background/

The Trump administration is considering a proposal that would use Google, Amazon and Apple to collect data on users who exhibit characteristics of mental illness that could lead to violent behavior, The Washington Post reported Thursday.

Just another red herring to appease anti-gunners and waste taxpayer money.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    sources told WaPo that Trump has reacted “very positively” to the proposal — it is unclear if he has seen the Safe Home idea.
    More unnamed "sources" reported by WAPO. I'm not losing any sleep over this (yet). How many times do they have to publish fake news before everything they publish gets questioned?
    duane_wade and msgt/ret like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I would not be so fast in dismissing this. There are articles from multiple sources you can find online reporting that the FBI just issued an RFP for a software system that can search social media for potential violent offenders. It would look at terrorist, criminal and mental health threats. This RFP is aimed at social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, etc., not providers like Google, Amazon and Apple, but it is a clear indication that government has long term goals in this direction. They are definitely exploring a "Minority Report"/"Person of Interest" approach to law enforcement. How fast this progresses is anyone's guess.

I would also not dismiss Google's recent troubles with the government as "another story." Google, Amazon and Apple definitely have the analytics and they actively use them for marketing purposes and even sell that data to big customers. It would not be hard to envision the government saying, "Let's make a deal: We'll let you continue that and stop busting you for it, if we get to use the data also." It seems like a really plausible outcome.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I read this article from infowars and nearly stroked out until I realized it is a cynical hit piece. I think this is absolutely outrageous. On the other hand, this quote from the article is somewhat reassuring.

"HARPA would develop “breakthrough technologies with high specificity and sensitivity for early diagnosis of neuropsychiatric violence,” according to a copy of the proposal. “A multi-modality solution, along with real-time data analytics, is needed to achieve such an accurate diagnosis.”

There is no such thing.

It is reassuring in that this is all talk and speculation....pipe dreams so to speak. None of the utilities mentioned are operative at this point and may never be. Someone somewhere wishes that this could be true. Skilled psychiatrists are still not able to definitively predict behavior, let alone rely upon the utilities described in this article. The operative words are "would develop" and "breakthrough" followed by an equally ethereal sentence. All of this means that none of this is real. I hope they become frustrated and give up. Hope is not a strategy. We must still pay attention.
    100% of home invasions occur......in someone's home.....usually without warning.

Distinguished Member
    It is certainly possible but I don't see any way to assess probability at this time. @jmf552 mentions a new FBI initiative that would amount to electronic monitoring of personal communications that exist in digital environments that are open to the public. Is that where it starts or ends? I fear it is where it starts, but that is an opinion based upon my inclination to assume that when the government does anything assuming the worst case scenario is reasonable based upon history.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

I want the position of deciding what constitutes "mental illness".
    I'll even do it for free.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    It is certainly possible but I don't see any way to assess probability at this time. @jmf552 mentions a new FBI initiative that would amount to electronic monitoring of personal communications that exist in digital environments that are open to the public. Is that where it starts or ends? I fear it is where it starts, but that is an opinion based upon my inclination to assume that when the government does anything assuming the worst case scenario is reasonable based upon history.
    What concerns me most is the implication Siri and Alexa and others to follow that listen to commands and the ability to eavesdrop on conversations could become part of the data analytics. I don't see how that is much different than a wire tap that currently requires a court order. I say a LOT of things in the privacy of my home that might be construed by "big brother" as indicative of hostile intent, mental illness, or anything they want to find whether it actually exists or not. "Minority Report" is starting to look not that far fetched.
    msgt/ret and 1942bull like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

So let's say they research your browser history and find that 90% of the time you were looking at pictures of guns and 10% of the time you were looking at pictures of Shania Twain, will you still be able to buy a gun?? Asking for a friend.
    DownInTheDark likes this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

VIP Member
    Smells like fake news.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Sadly, this likely has something to do with deferring decisions to AI. correlation does not equal causation. Freud was wrong and the psychiatry industry continues to search for a replacement. But, this time, the technology folks think they can do better. China is the leader in this field with how they already monitor everything and calculate social scores.

Sponsored Links