This might be a great deterrent to mass shootings - Page 3

This might be a great deterrent to mass shootings

This is a discussion on This might be a great deterrent to mass shootings within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's interesting to me how many people here are all for suspending full due process for mass shooters when we are fighting red flag laws. ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: This might be a great deterrent to mass shootings

It's interesting to me how many people here are all for suspending full due process for mass shooters when we are fighting red flag laws. If you suspend due process in one case, it makes it easier to suspend due process in any case.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    It's interesting to me how many people here are all for suspending full due process for mass shooters when we are fighting red flag laws. If you suspend due process in one case, it makes it easier to suspend due process in any case.
    That's not what I am advocating. Give them a fair trial. Enforce strict punishment if they are convicted.
    OD*, msgt/ret, airslot and 2 others like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    That's not what I am advocating. Give them a fair trial. Enforce strict punishment if they are convicted.
    I didn't direct the comment at you. I said "people here." There are people advocating summary executions and what amounts to torture. We want our BOR protections when it suits us, but we drop them like a hot potato when it doesn't.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Seems like most mass shooters include dying in the end to be part of their plan. I don't see how a dragged out death penalty vs. and expedited one makes much of a a difference. Besides, as the article says, this only applies to federal cases. Are the perpetrators of Dayton and Santa Fe federal cases? Many states have no death penalty.
    Yes my thoughts exactly. They usual kill themselves or have the cops do it for them. They only care about killing as many people as possible, trying to top the previous shooters number, them kill themselves. The only way to deter them from doing these shootings in the first place is to make them feel like they wont even be able to get one or two killings in before a law abiding citizen with a firearm takes them out. And the only way that is going to happen is if more and more good people have a firearm on them at all times who actually train to be proficient with it are in the area. We need to see the good guys on the news over and over every night showing the good and bad guys that good people do actually deter crimes and mass shooting all the time.
    Check out "Active self protection" on youtube. The guy John shows videos of incidents where good guys use their firearms all the time to save lives and then breaks down the videos and talks about them. Very good Youtube Chanel, can learn lots from the videos.
    G26Raven and Nmuskier like this.

I dont think it will work for mass shooters as they want to die in the end anyway most of the time.
    But now child molesters and rapist yes definitely kill them slowly right away.
    When a dog attacks a person they put it down, why not the same for these creeps?

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    I dont think it will work for mass shooters as they want to die in the end anyway most of the time.
    But now child molesters and rapist yes definitely kill them slowly right away.
    When a dog attacks a person they put it down, why not the same for these creeps?
    Uh, the Bill of Rights?
    M1911A1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I like it, there is no reason a mass murderer should sit on death row for decades. Murderers like the one in Charleston who killed 9 people deserve to be removed from society immediately upon conviction.
    On March 30, 1981, John Hinckley shot Ronald Reagan (the President of the United States), Thomas Delahanty, Timothy McCarthy, and James Brady in front of a mass of witnesses and recording equipment. He was apprehended immediately.

On April 27, 1982, more than a year after the fact, jury selection began.

On October 6, 1981, Anwar Sadat (the President of Egypt) and 11 others were assassinated, plus over two dozen were wounded.

On April 15, 1982, the assassins of Anwar Sadat were publicly executed in Cairo.

Although Sadat was shot 190 days after Reagan, his assassins were tried, convicted, sentenced, and executed, 15 days before Hinckley even came to trial.

H.L. Mencken on "The Penalty of Death", 1925:

The real objection to capital punishment doesn't lie against the actual extermination of the condemned, but against our brutal American habit of putting it off so long. After all, every one of us must die soon or late, and a murderer, it must be assumed, is one who makes that sad fact the cornerstone of his metaphysic. But it is one thing to die, and quite another thing to lie for long months and even years under the shadow of death. No sane man would choose such a finish. All of us, despite the Prayer Book, long for a swift and unexpected end. Unhappily, a murderer, under the irrational American system, is tortured for what, to him, must seem a whole series of eternities. For months on end he sits in prison while his lawyers carry on their idiotic buffoonery with writs, injunctions, mandamuses, and appeals. In order to get his money (or that of his friends) they have to feed him with hope. Now and then, by the imbecility of a judge or some trick of juridic science, they actually justify it. But let us say that, his money all gone, they finally throw up their hands. Their client is now ready for the rope or the chair. But he must still wait for months before it fetches him ...

From the movie, Thank You for Smoking:

Joey Naylor asks: Dad, why is the American government the best government?

Nick Naylor (who is a spokesman for Big Tobacco) responds: Because of our endless appeals system.
    OD*, G26Raven, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    That's kind of the point that I was trying to make. I don't think the fact that it only took four years to execute Timothy McVeigh had anything at all to do with the Clinton administration's willingness to push the issue. I think it had much more to do with the fact that McVeigh didn't pursue any Appeals.

Even if Trump's plan sounds great it's not going anywhere. Because the only way for it would to work is a would have to take away the condemned's right to appeal and that's never going to fly. And it should never fly.
    I'm OK with an appeal. But the process has to have an end to be effective. Within a couple of years if there is no new evidence, its time!

I don't think that adding an express lane for executing mass shooters would have any effect at all.

Most of these guys are suicidal already so now you're just guaranteeing that if they don't effectively take themselves out during/after their massacre the government will finish the job for them.

They want to die and gain infamy and these executions would only give them exactly what they want.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Uh, the Bill of Rights?
    After proven guilty without a doubt in the court of law.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Are mass shooters becoming repeat offenders?
    That would depend on the definition of Mass Shooter. If you use the definition that the Gun Grabbers use, Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    That would depend on the definition of Mass Shooter. If you use the definition that the Gun Grabbers use, Yes.
    Yes, but they include police who shoot more than 3 drug dealers in one bust.
    G26Raven and M1911A1 like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array 19Kvet's Avatar
    I'm not willing to give the government the power to execute people like this- sure, we may
    agree that "mass murderers" (as currently defined) should die shortly after the act but how quickly will this power be expanded beyond what was originally intended?

Trevor
    OD*, dangerranger and M1911A1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Stop all the nonsense, take the Government out of it, and hand them over to the victims family members after the trial and after the accelerated appeals are finished.

The families of the victims should have complete free will to do as they please with the killer.
    Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Stop all the nonsense, take the Government out of it, and hand them over to the victims family members after the trial and after the accelerated appeals are finished.

The families of the victims should have complete free will to do as they please with the killer.
    Would you trust a group of Quaker families to dole out reasonable and satisfactory justice?
    M1911A1 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links