This might be a great deterrent to mass shootings

This is a discussion on This might be a great deterrent to mass shootings within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just ran across this article tonight and I think it's a great idea. If this is accurate, supposedly the Trump administration is proposing that ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: This might be a great deterrent to mass shootings

I just ran across this article tonight and I think it's a great idea. If this is accurate, supposedly the Trump administration is proposing that if you are convicted of a mass murder using a gun (or perhaps any other weapon?) you will be executed promptly. No appeals, no long delays, go directly to the chair, gas chamber, or firing squad as we do here in Utah. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00. I'm all in for this....

Trump Admin Draws Up Alternative to Gun Control: Execute Mass Shooters Right Away

The Justice Department has taken action to turn President Donald Trump’s alternative to gun control into law.

The department has drafted legislation to expedite expedite the death penalty for those convicted of perpetrating mass shootings, Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff told reporters Monday. According to Short, Pence’s policy team is working with Attorney General William Barr on the measure.

Trump proposed speeding up the execution of mass shooters last month following mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio. He called on the Justice Department to propose such legislation, so that those who commit hate crimes and mass murders would face the death penalty “quickly” and “decisively,” “without years of delay.”

https://pluralist.com/trump-execute-...lAFXffFAv5XhRI
    OD*, RETSUPT99, airslot and 11 others like this.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    I can hear the weeping and gnashing of teeth already, from those with Trump Derangement Syndrome.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

I like it, there is no reason a mass murderer should sit on death row for decades. Murderers like the one in Charleston who killed 9 people deserve to be removed from society immediately upon conviction.
    OD*, RETSUPT99, airslot and 10 others like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    I like it, there is no reason a mass murderer should sit on death row for decades. Murderers like the one in Charleston who killed 9 people deserve to be removed from society immediately upon conviction.
    It can be done if they want it to. It only took the Clinton administration 4 years to execute Timothy McVeigh.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Senior Moderator
    I'm all for a speedy trial and a quicker execution for these mass murderers.
    msgt/ret, OD*, airslot and 6 others like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: “The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.”

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    It can be done if they want it to. It only took the Clinton administration 4 years to execute Timothy McVeigh.
    Did McVeigh exhaust all of his appeals or did he stop pursuing them?
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I think 24 hours after a conviction would be just right for an execution. At an unnamed location and at a unspecified time. Total news blackout until the sentence is carried out. Also do not name or show pics of killers.

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    They should face a firing squad of Daisy BB guns. Make it a slow process.

I'm all for on-the-spot justice for that kind of killers.
    Novarider and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I just ran across this article tonight and I think it's a great idea. If this is accurate, supposedly the Trump administration is proposing that if you are convicted of a mass murder using a gun (or perhaps any other weapon?) you will be executed promptly. No appeals, no long delays, go directly to the chair, gas chamber, or firing squad as we do here in Utah. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00. I'm all in for this...
    Well, I don't believe it.
    Trump may be tweeting about this, since he tends to "tweet from the hip," but it would eliminate that mysterious, albeit necessary, thing called "due process." (I believe that there are some notes in the Constitution about this.)

Put yourself in a somewhat similar position: You interrupt a mass murderer and wrestle his gun away, but he escapes just as the cops arrive, leaving you with the murder weapon in your hands.
    Witnesses confuse you with the killer because you both were wearing blue jeans and a dark jacket, and they pick you out of a lineup. He was wearing gloves, so only your fingerprints are on the weapon.
    The trial is speedy, and your court-appointed attorney has little time to prepare, so you end up convicted of a crime that you not only didn't commit, but had actually stopped. You saved people's lives, but now it's adobe-wall time.
    You've postulated no ability to appeal on any grounds, so, next thing you know, you're wearing a blindfold and smoking your last cigarette.

So now tell me: How do you feel about all this? And how do you feel about the due process that you've been denied? Want it back?

Don't protest too much: Similar things have actually happened, and some resulted in execution.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Seems like most mass shooters include dying in the end to be part of their plan. I don't see how a dragged out death penalty vs. and expedited one makes much of a a difference. Besides, as the article says, this only applies to federal cases. Are the perpetrators of Dayton and Santa Fe federal cases? Many states have no death penalty.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Did McVeigh exhaust all of his appeals or did he stop pursuing them?
    He refused appeals and requested immediate execution.
    His lawyers did a few appeals without his consent which is why it took some time.

Distinguished Member
    I support it, but I think it is ******* in the wind. There is no convincing evidence that the death penalty deters killing. The proposal is just another political gambit to assure that the republicans are though on crime. It is no different than the Democrats being tough on guns. In both cases what I proposed is intended to excite supporters wh buy into the misguided belief that action is being taken. It would be so refreshing if our so-called leaders actually focused its LE resources on just taking criminals off the streets in body bags or into jail cells. I am sick and tired of protecting criminals rights an failing victims.

I am sick and tired of fighting against terrorism in wars of attrition. I just want leaders who will fight the enemies we face around the globe and at home with one thought in mind: total victory.
    Marc_Brooks, G26Raven and wmhawth like this.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

There may not be much evidence that the death penalty detours crime But it is effective against Recidivism. The dead don't commit new crimes!

The reason it is not very effective as a deterrent is because most people on death row die of natural causes, or old age waiting for their execution.
    One of the things I like about TX, is every Wednesday on an inside page of their newspaper there is a column that reads
    These prisoners were put to death today. No 30 to 40 years of endless appeals. DR
    G26Raven, OD*, msgt/ret and 2 others like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Bring back public flogging.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    M1911A1 and KevinRohrer like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links