AWB wishes may be dying a slow death.

This is a discussion on AWB wishes may be dying a slow death. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like the House cannot get enough support for a new ban on scary guns that terrify gun grabbers (AWB). Support erodes for a ban ...

Like Tree56Likes
  • 17 Post By msgt/ret
  • 11 Post By G26Raven
  • 4 Post By PhaedrusIV
  • 4 Post By m5215
  • 6 Post By OldVet
  • 4 Post By StripesDude
  • 1 Post By m5215
  • 4 Post By 1942bull
  • 3 Post By ddrew
  • 2 Post By KILTED COWBOY

Thread: AWB wishes may be dying a slow death.

Looks like the House cannot get enough support for a new ban on scary guns that terrify gun grabbers (AWB).

Support erodes for a ban on assault weapons

WASHINGTON — As Democrats make an aggressive push for new gun control legislation, they have made a calculated decision to stop short of pursuing their most ambitious goal: an assault weapons ban.

The overwhelming majority of House Democrats — 211, seven shy of the 218 needed for passage — are co-sponsoring legislation to ban military-style semi-automatic weapons, similar to the ban in effect from 1994 to 2004. But some centrist Democrats remain skittish about any proposal that keeps firearms from law-abiding citizens — a frequent charge against Democrats by Republicans and gun rights groups — making a ban politically risky for moderates in Trump-friendly districts. In the Senate, it draws less support.

The split reveals just how complicated gun politics remain inside the Democratic Party, even as mass shootings are terrorizing the nation and the Twitter hashtag #DoSomething has captured the mounting public demands for Congress to act.
    https://www.wral.com/support-erodes-...pons/18627968/
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

That is the BEST news I have heard all day!
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    That is the BEST news I have heard all day!
    ^^^^^ This ^^^^^
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I had a feeling that an AWB might not have enough support to happen again. I think there might still be a chance that some type of magazine capacity ban may pass. I am planning on buying all the magazines I need for my pistols and rifles as soon as possible just in case.

I'm waiting for the fat lady to sing before I get excited about this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    I had a feeling that an AWB might not have enough support to happen again. I think there might still be a chance that some type of magazine capacity ban may pass. I am planning on buying all the magazines I need for my pistols and rifles as soon as possible just in case.
    They can legislate whatever they want. People won’t turn them in. In NJ’s high capacity mag ban, there have been none surrendered. And that’s in liberal NJ.

I laugh at them trying this at the federal level.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    They can legislate whatever they want. People won’t turn them in. In NJ’s high capacity mag ban, there have been none surrendered. And that’s in liberal NJ.

I laugh at them trying this at the federal level.
    I have a feeling that IF some type of magazine capacity ban passes it will just ban any new sale of them. It would then be likely that anyone that has any in their possession before any legislation is passed will be able to keep them. This could be proposed as a "compromise" but in reality it would mean that later in the future they may think that the next "compromise" would be to get them out of the hands of anyone that has them.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I think some of the Democratic congresspersons support AWB in name only for political purposes like getting contributions and liberal support. They have a safe haven in showing that support because there are not enough votes in the House to pass it and because it will never pass the Senate. Getting behind something that wil lnot happen earns money and votes with no risk of having to vote for it.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Senior Member Array DownInTheDark's Avatar
    Well now I can work on getting my 2 broken cars running.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'm waiting for the fat lady to sing before I get excited about this.
    Honestly, I think the fat lady is going to remain backstage for a long time.

Bans on parts may get enacted at some point, but probably not until the next Democrat administration and Democrats will have to have a substantial majority in both houses.

The fat lady won't ever really sing until there is a repeal of the 2A.

Summary of January 2019 proposal. Bump stocks are already ban, but I suspect rest of provisions are what will be proposed. Basically you can keep existing rifles, but have to transfer thru FFL. Can keep existing 10+ mags, but can not sell or transfer. How will they ascertain if mag is in hands of original owner is not clear. Link

https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/pub...D-C577212ED17B

"The split reveals just how complicated gun politics remain inside the Democratic Party, even as mass shootings are terrorizing the nation"

Mass shooters are NOT terrorizing the nation, inner city illegal gun owners are
    4 months inner city shootings from Chicago and Detroit surpass all the mass shootings in the history of the United States combined
    Just four months in two cities
    ETXhiker, msgt/ret and wmhawth like this.

Senior Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Do not get too comfortable. They will never give up.
    They are like herpes- they will never go away.
    Too many of us if we perceive that an eminent danger has passed we retreat back to our safe spaces until the next one comes along.
    We need to stay vigilant and attack all who threaten our rights
    ETXhiker and msgt/ret like this.

Sponsored Links