Florida Bill Would Require CCW Applicants Undergo Mental Evaluation - Page 2

Florida Bill Would Require CCW Applicants Undergo Mental Evaluation

This is a discussion on Florida Bill Would Require CCW Applicants Undergo Mental Evaluation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 I'm guessing that the majority of professionals in the mental health field peg well to the left of center on the ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Florida Bill Would Require CCW Applicants Undergo Mental Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm guessing that the majority of professionals in the mental health field peg well to the left of center on the gun rights gauge. Even ones who are not would be very reluctant to attest to an individual's mental fitness to carry a concealed firearm. Such a requirement would make Florida a de facto no issue state.
    You're probably right. Probably not too many would be lining up to sign on the dotted line certifying that someone was competent to carry a firearm in case it ever came back to them
    gatorbait51 and Mike1956 like this.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    I really don't know of one single foreign-born politician who is not a raging liberal jackass intent on demolishing the Constitution. Here's another one:

"On Thursday, State Representative Al Jacquet, a Democrat, filed a bill called “Concealed Weapons or Concealed Firearms Licensing” (HB 117). It specifically states the bill requires “an applicant to have undergone a mental health evaluation and been determined to be competent or provide a letter from a specified profession as to competency; providing an effective date.”"

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...al-evaluation/
    What person would put their neck on the line for that?

“I certify that Mr. X is of sound mind without manifestations of a serious psychiatric illness until December 29, 2022”...

Then Mr. X has a brain injury before that time, affecting his frontal lobe, on July 2022, that prompts him to shoot up 25 people at Disney. Yeah, that doctor is crazy to do that.

That legislation is idiotic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Instagram CDR_Glock
    gatorbait51 and NECCdude like this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

I'm guessing that the majority of professionals in the mental health field peg well to the left of center on the gun rights gauge. Even ones who are not would be very reluctant to attest to an individual's mental fitness to carry a concealed firearm. Such a requirement would make Florida a de facto no issue state.
    You are EXACTLY right. I work with these people day in and day out. This is surely the way to end concealed carry. Because none of them would find any of us competent to hold a license.
    gatorbait51 and Mike1956 like this.
    Aut Pax Aut Bellum

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I don't see that bill seeing the light of day in committee, much less pass any constitutional test.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I see a business oppurtunity. MMS's home of the $19.95 mental health certification.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    I suppose that this proposed legislation would make psychiatrists liable if they rated someone of sound mind but then that person went on a shooting rampage.
    OldVet likes this.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

What if there non resident ccw holders,do you mail that in to.
    Last edited by Jerald; September 14th, 2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Spellling
    msgt/ret, Nmuskier and NECCdude like this.
    USN,NRA,

I'm pretty sure the mental health care community did not ask for this and is not interested in assuming this, as 1942bull put it, boondoggle.
    OldVet, Nix, Nmuskier and 1 others like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Nix
    Y'all may be making some assumptions here.

I have two buddies who are psychiatrists. One is a motorcycle enthusiast, the other likes to fish and hunt, so I get along well with both. Both have NRA memberships and firearms--long guns and hand guns. I've gone shooting with both.

Both have related stories to me of clearing professionals to carry/use firearms (part of their jobs). Both have related stories of committing people to mental facilities. I don't recall either ever saying they denied anyone their 2A rights (as per the Gun Control Act of 1968)--but perhaps they haven't gotten around to sharing those stories with me.

Both guys seem like professionals who would make responsible decisions, but I don't know that for sure. The hunting psychiatrist does need to be reminded about muzzle awareness from time to time.

I agree though that neither of my buddies is likely to be interested in clearing CCW applicants as part of their day; they seem a bit busy for that. Then again, one of my buddies would like to buy a new .270.....and clearing CCW applicants would be easy money.......

I seem to be often hearing about strange people doing strange things in FL lately. Maybe that is why legislation like this is being considered?

Many years ago while trying to cross train from Aircraft Electrician to B-52 tail gunner I was required to be evaluated by a psychologist since I would be required to shoot down other airplanes, it took just a matter of minutes to decide he was nuttier than squirrel dung.
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Every person that I've known who studied in or worked in the mental health industry was a bit of a loon. Some more than others. I'd assume they're all like that. I would not want any of them evaluating me. I am the most normal person I know.
    I have a very stable personality, and so do I.
    Psalm 144:1

Quote Originally Posted by Nix View Post
    Y'all may be making some assumptions here.

I have two buddies who are psychiatrists. One is a motorcycle enthusiast, the other likes to fish and hunt, so I get along well with both. Both have NRA memberships and firearms--long guns and hand guns. I've gone shooting with both.

Both have related stories to me of clearing professionals to carry/use firearms (part of their jobs). Both have related stories of committing people to mental facilities. I don't recall either ever saying they denied anyone their 2A rights (as per the Gun Control Act of 1968)--but perhaps they haven't gotten around to sharing those stories with me.

Both guys seem like professionals who would make responsible decisions, but I don't know that for sure. The hunting psychiatrist does need to be reminded about muzzle awareness from time to time.

I agree though that neither of my buddies is likely to be interested in clearing CCW applicants as part of their day; they seem a bit busy for that. Then again, one of my buddies would like to buy a new .270.....and clearing CCW applicants would be easy money.......
    There are pro CCW mental health professionals out there, but numbers wise I'd guess it's a small minority.

And once again the left wing plan of attack here is to add another cost of exercising a Constitutional right. Not only monetary cost (think poll taxes) but also time and effort.

Between the inherent anti gun bias of the medical community (yes, an assumption) and the added complexity and cost, the net result would be a chilling effect on CCW. The left knows it, which is why they suggested it in the first place.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

Distinguished Member Array MB53's Avatar
    lol. that bill should be for politicians.
    The Old Anglo likes this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    There are pro CCW mental health professionals out there, but numbers wise I'd guess it's a small minority.

And once again the left wing plan of attack here is to add another cost of exercising a Constitutional right. Not only monetary cost (think poll taxes) but also time and effort.

Between the inherent anti gun bias of the medical community (yes, an assumption) and the added complexity and cost, the net result would be a chilling effect on CCW. The left knows it, which is why they suggested it in the first place.

No disagreement with what you've said here. I'm trying to be open minded though. The number of mass shootings we are seeing is concerning; gun deaths have been on the rise for a couple years now.

At the same time, the number of firearm advocates seems to be decreasing. I see more politicians being willing to openly challenge the scope of the second amendment. Now I see corporate leaders calling for restrictions. While President Obama did his part to increase guns sales, I don't think this trend continues today. Only about 1 in 3 Americans owns a firearm. The current state of mind of the nation concerning gun rights seems to be shifting against us. I saw a concerning statistic on this: currently most Americans would like to see more restrictive gun laws in place (if some research is to be believed.) Note here that gun-owning Democrats are also mostly in favor of more restrictive gun laws according to this Pew data:

It would seem to be in our interests--as supporters of the second amendment--to look at ways to prevent, as far as is possible, more mass shootings. Being inflexible and hoping that the second amendment will stand the test of time and a changing society, or not be repealed by the 28th amendment, does not seem like a sound plan to me. I forget where I heard the saying, "Hope is NOT a plan!", but the message stuck.

I'm not saying mass mental health screenings is a good plan or a practical plan. Far from it. However, I do think we as a community should be considering ways to actively prevent unlawful actions. Actions that may lead to reactions and consequences we might not agree with. Keeping guns out of the hands of the irresponsible or incapable would seem to be a good idea. Surely none of us want psychopaths or mentally unstable individuals out in society representing us with their firearms?

Another bit of Pew data to chew on:

A combination of "more guns in more places" but also "keep guns out of the hands of crazies." The first part will be hard to sell, the second part is proving trickier to implement. Yes, it seems like Florida is fumbling with this idea. But that doesn't make the underlying impulse a bad one, per se. My two cents.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links