Florida Bill Would Require CCW Applicants Undergo Mental Evaluation

This is a discussion on Florida Bill Would Require CCW Applicants Undergo Mental Evaluation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I really don't know of one single foreign-born politician who is not a raging liberal jackass intent on demolishing the Constitution. Here's another one: "On ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: Florida Bill Would Require CCW Applicants Undergo Mental Evaluation

I really don't know of one single foreign-born politician who is not a raging liberal jackass intent on demolishing the Constitution. Here's another one:

"On Thursday, State Representative Al Jacquet, a Democrat, filed a bill called “Concealed Weapons or Concealed Firearms Licensing” (HB 117). It specifically states the bill requires “an applicant to have undergone a mental health evaluation and been determined to be competent or provide a letter from a specified profession as to competency; providing an effective date.”"

https://www.personaldefenseworld.com...al-evaluation/
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

'an effective date'. Ha ha.

Does that mean my mental health has an expiration date?

ANOTHER "feel good" piece of Legislation, and now they want the Medical Profession to have their input on us. THIS is what the Antis have always wanted.... Hell, I haven't trusted some of the Doctors I've encountered along the way in Life...... Some are called "Quacks" for a good reason...
    Rooster, OD*, msgt/ret and 3 others like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Another attack on the rights of law abiding citizens.

I'm not saying all but in my experience, the vast majority of CCW permit holders are the most calm, rational and decent people I've met. Most people know the responsibility that comes with carrying and handle themselves as such.

If this trash goes through, I wonder if they'll require this evaluation for new permit holders only or current holders as well. How would they initiate it? I assume it would be when you went to renew.

Who's going to pay for all this?

Also, I don't think it's right to leave the decision if one is of sound mind up to a possible agenda pushing professional. Say you end up with a 2A psychiatrist and they deny you. Can you get reevaluated or is it straight denial at that point?

The whole thing stinks.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

No problem. As long as voter ID has the same requirements.

Please remind the good congressman of two things:

1. The crime rate of concealed license holders, nation wide.
    2. ...shall not be infringed.

That is all.
    Psalm 144:1

Too bad for OV, though!
    gatorbait51 and NECCdude like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Too bad for OV, though!
    NCCFY!

It's people like Al Jacquet who are in need of a mental evaluation, not me.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post

It's people like Al Jacquet who are in need of a mental evaluation, not me.
    QFT, I demand mental evaluation and clearance of sound mind for anyone running for political office as one surely has to have issues to pursue such positions.

Ex Member
    I think that people who want to get inside other people’s minds have a problem of their own so I have no confidence in them. I can remember reading about criminals that were released from prison and patients that were released from mental institutions because the psychologist or psychiatrist found them to be mental you rehabilitated. The nest thing you know the person with the new found freedom kills someone. Add to that the prejudice against guns factor that so many shrinks have, and you know the proposed licensing requirement will be a boondoggle. I love the word boondoggle. Is says it all.

Every person that I've known who studied in or worked in the mental health industry was a bit of a loon. Some more than others. I'd assume they're all like that. I would not want any of them evaluating me. I am the most normal person I know.
    I was born a gun owner, it wasn't a choice, I didn't become one later in life...I was born this way

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I think that people who want to get inside other people’s minds have a problem of their own so I have no confidence in them. I can remember reading about criminals that were released from prison and patients that were released from mental institutions because the psychologist or psychiatrist found them to be mental you rehabilitated. The nest thing you know the person with the new found freedom kills someone. Add to that the prejudice against guns factor that so many shrinks have, and you know the proposed licensing requirement will be a boondoggle. I love the word boondoggle. Is says it all.
    I am reminded of the Dukakis Presidential run. Willie Horton?

I would like to introduce a bill requiring all democrats, especially ones holding office, to undergo mental health evaluations.
    I feel confident that well over half would fail miserably

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotBrass45 View Post
    Every person that I've known who studied in or worked in the mental health industry was a bit of a loon. Some more than others. I'd assume they're all like that. I would not want any of them evaluating me. I am the most normal person I know.
    I'm guessing that the majority of professionals in the mental health field peg well to the left of center on the gun rights gauge. Even ones who are not would be very reluctant to attest to an individual's mental fitness to carry a concealed firearm. Such a requirement would make Florida a de facto no issue state.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I'm guessing that the majority of professionals in the mental health field peg well to the left of center on the gun rights gauge. Even ones who are not would be very reluctant to attest to an individual's mental fitness to carry a concealed firearm. Such a requirement would make Florida a de facto no issue state.
    Yea, verily.
    gatorbait51, Mike1956 and Wolf357 like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Strong parallels to the Red Flag laws; how many judges will not err on the side of caution and issue the Red Flag warrant without any strong evidence, they don't want to be the one who failed to issue and then have someone go off the rails.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links