House Judiciary Committee Hearing on Assault Weapons Ban

This is a discussion on House Judiciary Committee Hearing on Assault Weapons Ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I tuned into the hearing on CSpan when it began at 10AM. It has been what you would expect with the Democrats advocating for greater ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 8 Post By HotGuns
  • 3 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By airslot
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Thread: House Judiciary Committee Hearing on Assault Weapons Ban

Ex Member

I tuned into the hearing on CSpan when it began at 10AM. It has been what you would expect with the Democrats advocating for greater regulation nd the Republicans advocating for the right of law abiding people to own an assault rifle. The discussion is going according to party lines among the committee members.

There is a panel of witnesses with 4 supporting a ban, 2 denouncing a ben, and two providing factual information from a medical and a historical perspective. The panel is therefore composed of more democratic selected witnesses than republican. I think that reflects that the democrats have a majority and so can have more witnesses. The list below names th panelists and their positions. I never heard of any off them, but that means nothing. The two opposing a ban are exceptionally prepared with facts that clearly support their positions. The pro ban panelists are playing to emotions. I have heard vivid descriptions of rifle wounds versus pistol wounds. Did you know that1 in 4 Leos is killed by an assault ban, and that is reason enough to ban the guns because our LEOs deserve a better chance. And then there is the 100 round magazine horror plus the design of the rifle that is purposed to achieve greater lethality. It just replaid hysteria.

The anti ban panelists have presented al the date you would hope to have presented. They have made a compelling factual case. Of course it falls on deaf republican ears. My feeling is this. The hearing changes nothing in terms of what will happen, but it could have some affect on regulations based upon a suggestion from David Chapman of the Giffords Law Center. He is a retired ATF officer. He told of the success of licensing automatic weapons under the NFA. Then he proposed that existing assault rifles should have to be registered and that in the future assault rifle purchases should be subject to NFA licensing in the same way that automatic weapons and suppressors are. I think that his suggestion is the one thing I heard that could get some traction. No ban, but registration and repurchase permitting. I am not suggesting it ought to get traction. I am only saying that it was the only thing I have heard that is a different approach than a ban

These are the people on the panel.

Favor assault rifle ban
    Dr. RaShall Brackney Chief of Police, Charlottesville Police Department
    The Honorable Nan Whaley* Mayor, Dayton, OH
    Ms. Kristen Rand* Legislative Director, Violence Policy Center
    Mr. David Chipman Senior Policy Advisor, Giffords Law Center. (Favors registration over a ban.)

Opposed to assault rifle ban
    Ms. Amy Swearer* Senior Legal Policy Analyst, The Heritage Foundation
    Ms. Dianna Muller* Founder, The DC Project

Medical and historical . But tend toward subtle support of a ban.
    Dr. Alejandro Rios-Tovar* Resident Physician, Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, El Paso
    Dr. RaShall Brackney Chief of Police, Charlottesville Police Department

Distinguished Member
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hou...lt-weapons-ban

She mentioned that she owned a bump stock as an example of how the government turned 100's of thousands of bump stock owners into criminals.

"Should the government pass an assault-weapons ban, Muller declared, "I will not comply.""

I was going to see if the mainstream media was going to have a segment about this but I turned off the news because they were more interested in bashing Trump over the Ukraine phone call.
    "What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Lead Moderator
    So we have 6 testify for it and 2 testify against it.

Great.

It just proves that idiots are running this country.

After watching that fiasco of anti-gun testimony in the House this morning, I am convinced that if you are not stockpiling guns, ammo, and food, that you had better start soon.

We had testimonies of Jack Booted Tyrants with no clue of freedom, Social Justice Activists with no understanding of the Constitution, a tearful Mom, that spoke with emotion on a subject that she had no understanding of and a Cop that's convinced that her world is the same as everyone else's.

Here's a news flash.

It ain't about hunting. Hunting has no relevance in the Second Amendment. None. Nada. Zilch. Forget the emotion. Forget the hype. It's about shooting tyrants. That's it. That's all its ever been about.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Charlottesville Chief of Police RaShall Brackney testified she was in favor of a ban on "any weapon that could be used to hunt individuals." Whaaaat? That's crazy!!! Any weapon at all could be used to "hunt individuals." Any firearm, a bow and arrow, a slingshot, etc. What an irresponsible statement! And she has a PhD!
    airslot, NECCdude and baren like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Charlottesville Chief of Police RaShall Brackney testified she was in favor of a ban on "any weapon that could be used to hunt individuals." Whaaaat? That's crazy!!! Any weapon at all could be used to "hunt individuals." Any firearm, a bow and arrow, a slingshot, etc. What an irresponsible statement! And she has a PhD!
    Doesn't mean she was at the head of the class.
    NECCdude and baren like this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I had a roommate that while attending a Human Communications class introduced himself as someone that has a BS, a BA, and a PHD. The BA stood for barnyard assistant, the PHD stood for posthole digger which I am well versed in and the BS means I can shoot it with best of them.
    airslot and baren like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Ex Member
    Yes, I heard her say that. Later she was questioned bt a republican congressman who pinned her ears to the wall asking her if she actually meant what she said. with the weight of a ridiculous statement pressing on her she offered this defense: She was misquoted, which she was not. As for the PhD, I have a good friend who has a PhD in economics. He is a professor at the Wharton School. He once shared an insider an PhD insider anecdote with me.

There was a man who was a real social misfit who was considered to be mentally deficient. The man graduated from high school and then went n to college to get a Masters Degree. Then he spent a decade gettinhg a Phd. So after 15 year of advanced education he received his Phd. He was then known as a mentally deficient person with a PhD. Eduaction and intelligence re not the same.
    airslot and baren like this.

BS - you know what that is.

MS - More of the Same

PhD - Piled Higher and Deeper
    msgt/ret likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Sponsored Links