FL Red Flags over 100 children, as young as 8

This is a discussion on FL Red Flags over 100 children, as young as 8 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; According to a report at WFTX-TV, the Sunshine State's new confiscation law has been used to take away the gun rights of almost 2,500 of ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: FL Red Flags over 100 children, as young as 8

According to a report at WFTX-TV, the Sunshine State's new confiscation law has been used to take away the gun rights of almost 2,500 of people in the state and at least 100 of those were children. According to the station's investigation, some of those kids were as young as 8. One 15 year old didn't even own a gun, not even a BB gun.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/kids-a...ers-in-florida

Polk County Judge Bruce Smith attributed the number of orders against children to "the aggressive nature of our sheriff's department." Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd told the outlet that the orders are meant to serve as a message to parents. "First, it's to put the parents on notice that you got to do a really good job at securing your firearms, so your children can't get to it," Judd said, "and number two, it's putting the parents on notice about your kid's got an issue here." I don't recall either of those motives being mentioned as a rationales for Red Flag laws. This is clearly some megalomaniac sheriff twisting this law to his own sociopathic ends. Teaching parenting is not his job.

So in case anyone thought Red Flag was a method to keep guns out of the hands of dangerous people, think again. What a law promises, what it says and how it can be used are three different things.
    Last edited by jmf552; October 5th, 2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Red flag laws will be the end of the Second Amendment as we have always known it. Anyone, at any time, for any reason is subject to firearms seizure at the whim of whoever.
    Struckat, MMinSC, OlCop and 10 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

VIP Member
    Now if I was a lawyer who could practice in FL I would find the parents of the children on the RF list and get a joint lawsuit going calling the state had defamed them by the listing and unjustly denied those children of their 2A Right. You have 2 A rights the day you are born even if you are too young to buy a gun.
    MMinSC, halem1, OldChap and 6 others like this.
    Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.,,,,,,,,,,,,, Theodore Roosevelt

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June 66 to February 68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Every perceived fear about Red Flag laws is coming to fruition. Somewhere, somehow, this all needs to be ended.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Red flag laws will be the end of the Second Amendment as we have always known it. Anyone, at any time, for any reason is subject to firearms seizure at the whim of whoever.
    I really hope you are wrong, but I fear you are not. If the libs take the senate and or the Presidency we are doomed!
    Bad Bob and airslot like this.
    I wont be wronged, I wont be insulted, and I wont be laid a hand on. I dont do these things to other people and I require the same from them. John Wayne - The Shootist

"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." Seneca

I have a general question about red flag laws.

Suppose you have a teenage child in you home who has threatened someone at school or written something that falls within the parameters of the red flag seizure guidelines. And suppose you own guns, not your sons, which you keep locked up in a quality safe. Can the "authorites" seize your firearms? Two things come to my mind that says not but then, nothing surprises me anymore.

One. You are not the object of the complaint and concern. It is your child and not you. You have a clean record and are a long standing gun owner who enjoys hunting and shooting.

Two. Your firearms are stored well with no one but you having access to them. Your safe was made by a well-known safe company who's products are solid and of high quality.

So how might this come out?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I suggested it before, I'll suggest it again. It is high time a group of well-meaning FL citizens drop the dime on the good sheriff. After all, it would hardly be the first time a LEO has been called out for domestic violence or ill-intentioned threats.

Secure your own privacy. Use a burner phone.
    SpringerXD and Bad Bob like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Lead Moderator
    We havent seen anything yet. RFL's are made to be abused.

Think its bad now? Wait awhile after a few false flag events. Feel it around your neck as the noose tightens and think about your kids not being able to enjoy the freedoms that you had as a kid growing up.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

VIP Member
    "...We need to push along the ERPOs (Extreme Risk Protection Orders), so we have these red flag laws to supplement the use of the background check to find out if someone has some mental disturbance. This is the single most important thing I think we can do in the gun control area to stop these massacres from happening in the first place."

William Barr, current Attorney General of the United States, during a confirmation hearing early this year.
    Bad Bob and airslot like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

Lead Moderator
    This is the single most important thing I think we can do in the gun control area
    BOOM...there it is. His own words.
    OldVet, Bad Bob and The Old Anglo like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    "...We need to push along the ERPOs (Extreme Risk Protection Orders), so we have these red flag laws to supplement the use of the background check to find out if someone has some mental disturbance. This is the single most important thing I think we can do in the gun control area to stop these massacres from happening in the first place."

William Barr, current Attorney General of the United States, during a confirmation hearing early this year.
    This is very disturbing. I have no problem with removing firearms from someone who is a felon, who is a known risk (as in demonstrated violent encounters in which the individual has been found to have caused the violence unjustifiably), and other similar situations. But NOT at the whim of some family member or neighbor who might have an ax to grind and sees such laws as avenues in which to render the victim defenseless and potentially charged with some manufactured crime.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; October 6th, 2019 at 01:29 AM.
    M1911A1, msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

We're getting really close. I noticed the backward/upside down trend initiated by the media around 2006-2007 (when I got back from OIF). I saw the foundation being laid from 2009-20016. The pot is boiling. The 2020 landslide loss by progressives will steer them into an inescapable nose dive. 2024 is the battle to save the Republic. I'm betting against it, but fighting against the odds.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

Usually Sheriff Judd comes across as a good, real law and order kind of guy.

This one "oh ****" just wiped out all his "atta boys" in my book.

@SouthernBoyVA - Sandy Hook shooter ring a bell?
    OldVet, The Old Anglo and airslot like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array NECCdude's Avatar
    When RFL's were first proposed, I wrote all my legislators and my lead-in was that these will be abused and that there needs to be protections and penalties against false reports if they insist on proceeding to develop RFL's. I never heard back from any of them.
    Member NRA, SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    I have a general question about red flag laws.

Suppose you have a teenage child in you home who has threatened someone at school or written something that falls within the parameters of the red flag seizure guidelines. And suppose you own guns, not your sons, which you keep locked up in a quality safe. Can the "authorites" seize your firearms? Two things come to my mind that says not but then, nothing surprises me anymore.

One. You are not the object of the complaint and concern. It is your child and not you. You have a clean record and are a long standing gun owner who enjoys hunting and shooting.

Two. Your firearms are stored well with no one but you having access to them. Your safe was made by a well-known safe company who's products are solid and of high quality.

So how might this come out?
    They would seize them. We've already seen an uncle's guns seized when the nephew didn't live in the same house and he didn't even have access to the safe! The nephew just "knew where" he could get guns.
    msgt/ret and darbo like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links