Some positive news - Judge Strikes Down 3 Laws Limiting Assault Weapons

This is a discussion on Some positive news - Judge Strikes Down 3 Laws Limiting Assault Weapons within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...-control-laws/ In 2018, the City of Pittsburgh made three proposals to regulate firearms and ammunition. Firearms within the City-County Building were also prohibited. The court ...

Like Tree17Likes
  • 8 Post By Nifty
  • 4 Post By ShooterGranny
  • 2 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By 1942bull
  • 1 Post By PPS1980
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Some positive news - Judge Strikes Down 3 Laws Limiting Assault Weapons

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2019...-control-laws/

In 2018, the City of Pittsburgh made three proposals to regulate firearms and ammunition. Firearms within the City-County Building were also prohibited.

The court struck down the ordinances, saying the city didn’t have the authority to implement them.
    Hoganbeg, OD*, G26Raven and 5 others like this.

VIP Member
    These total idiots! Not one of them will ever learn that criminals/mentally deranged individuals pay no attention to "laws." Never did - never will. Disgusting.
    OD*, M1911A1, airslot and 1 others like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Distinguished Member
    And it took the court how long to make a ‘duh’ ruling?
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ex Member
    As a PA gun owner I support the PA organization Firearms Owners Against Crime, which was one of the plaintiffs in the case. The laws overturned were enacted after the Tree of Life Synagogue mass shooting in Pittsburg. PA. I have posted a link to the article from which this quote is taken.

The goal of gun control advocates has always been to get this case before the Pennsylvania State Supreme Court in hopes the justices there will strike down the state’s firearms preemption law, or at least carve out more space for cities to pass gun gun control laws more strict than those at the state level. Still, a win is a win, and the judge’s decision today bodes well for the court fights to come.
    Link to article

The case is likely to be appealed. PA FOAC will continue to lead the fight along with two other organizations and several individual plaintiffs. ovation

If any PA gun owner is reading this you should consider joining FOAC. It costs $30 per year, and that money os well spent because the organization is continually fighting for PA gun owners. You can read about the organization at this link.

Just to add a personal thought. Supporting state organizations fighting for gun owners is very important. They are mostly very dynamic advocates for out rights. I believe the smaller well directed and rights mission oriented organizations are the best bang we can get for our bucks. That is why I support the organizations listed ion my signature.
    M1911A1 and Nmuskier like this.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    And it took the court how long to make a ‘duh’ ruling?
    The case dragged on and on because the City of Pittsburg filed repeated motions to. have the case dismissed. That legal maneuvering delated the trial on the merits of the case. The court acted expeditiously through out. Pittsburg slowed it down. My post above has background on the case.
    PPS1980 likes this.

This is at pretty local story for me. My son lives and works in Pittsburgh, with his engineering degree from Pitt. I try not to visit unarmed...

Mayor Peduto is a wreck, running the city toward Venezuela. Here's an illustrative example: https://www.post-gazette.com/local/c...s/201910290098
    Still Clingin'

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    The case dragged on and on because the City of Pittsburg filed repeated motions to. have the case dismissed. That legal maneuvering delated the trial on the merits of the case. The court acted expeditiously through out. Pittsburg slowed it down. My post above has background on the case.
    My point, just more details. I have been doing Court work for a long time as an expert and I can say that more judges need to get off their lazy 6s and start seriously dinging lawyers for pure, unadulterated, delaying tactics that try to bleed the opposing side in order to win by having deeper pockets. Only once we see judges going after lawyers for clear misuse of such tactics will the system begin to actually work in the way our Constitution intended ("speedy trial" 6th Amend.).
    1942bull likes this.

My point, just more details. I have been doing Court work for a long time as an expert and I can say that more judges need to get off their lazy 6s and start seriously dinging lawyers for pure, unadulterated, delaying tactics that try to bleed the opposing side in order to win by having deeper pockets. Only once we see judges going after lawyers for clear misuse of such tactics will the system begin to actually work in the way our Constitution intended ("speedy trial" 6th Amend.).
    I may be wrong, but I believe the right to a speedy trial applies to criminal cases, the government versus the individual, not to civil matters where it is an individual claim against another. It's intended to prevent one to be jailed indefinitely "awaiting" trial. There is no such concerns in a civil trial.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

That's correct.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

Ex Member
    Amen brother. I am an expert on damages for copyright infringement of photographs. After a thousand or more hours of depositions and testifying in 36 federal trials I know and understand what you are saying. My favorite was a 9th circuit case involving admitted willful infringements. The 9th circuit standard for assessing © damages is what a willing buyer would agree to pay a willing seller to assign damages. I reported that the standard could not apply because the admitted willful infringer was not a willing buyer and the infringed party never had the chance to be a willing seller because the defendant t stole his property. The judge refused to accept my propositioned ruled out my testimony because I had not used the 9th circuit standard in assessing damages. But on appeal the the court did overturn the district judge and remained the case for a re-examination of the damages. The photographer then received 5100,000 in statutory damages for 46 infringements plus reimbursmet of his legal fees.

The moral of the story is this. Some judges are idiots.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe the right to a speedy trial applies to criminal cases, the government versus the individual, not to civil matters where it is an individual claim against another. It's intended to prevent one to be jailed indefinitely "awaiting" trial. There is no such concerns in a civil trial.
    Perhaps, but I believe that judicial relief is essential in administrative and civil trials as well. Justice delayed is justice denied applies to ALL legal situations.

Sponsored Links