This doesnít sound so great for kentucky

This is a discussion on This doesnít sound so great for kentucky within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...ut-due-process For any kentucky readers the link includes a place where you can contact the law makers via email. I donít know if it does ...

Like Tree53Likes
  • 3 Post By AndyC
  • 5 Post By Rock and Glock
  • 4 Post By wmhawth
  • 4 Post By CBXMan
  • 5 Post By sdprof
  • 4 Post By Novarider
  • 11 Post By PEF
  • 8 Post By wmhawth
  • 7 Post By OD*
  • 2 Post By jmf552

Thread: This doesnít sound so great for kentucky

https://www.nraila.org/articles/2019...ut-due-process

For any kentucky readers the link includes a place where you can contact the law makers via email. I donít know if it does any good, but I always do it.
    scottync, airslot and GpTom like this.

Senior Moderator
    Contact your lawmakers with regularity!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

I've contacted lawmakers numerous times. I have always received a reply however it's always been an obvious canned response in a form letter. I still think it's worth doing.
    airslot, jmf552, baren and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The Republicans in Kentucky have a veto proof super majority in the state house and senate that just pushed through constitutional carry this year. I don't see them buying into this red flag bs.
    G-man*, baren, MMinSC and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    The Republicans in Kentucky have a veto proof super majority in the state house and senate that just pushed through constitutional carry this year. I don't see them buying into this red flag bs.
    Beware the R that thinks RFLs are a good thing. It's not unheard of.
    baren, OldVet, Henry9008 and 2 others like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Beware the R that thinks RFLs are a good thing. It's not unheard of.
    There are even a few members on this forum that are for RFLs
    baren, ETXhiker, airslot and 1 others like this.

VIP Member
    When they were first discussed several years ago, I thought they were a workable solution to stopping objectively disturbed people. I naively believed they would be implemented with strong due process protections.

But seeing how they are being implemented and abused, I am now strongly opposed to them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    -PEF, Refugee from the Island of Misfit Toys

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    When they were first discussed several years ago, I thought they were a workable solution to stopping objectively disturbed people. I naively believed they would be implemented with strong due process protections.

But seeing how they are being implemented and abused, I am now strongly opposed to them.
    As near as I can tell they are custom made for abuse and misuse.
    Merovius, sdprof, OD* and 5 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post

Same here.

What an idjit to have ever believed our Government would do the right thing by it's citizens. I knew better.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by CBXMan View Post
    Thatís my hope, and while we still have majorities, Iíd feel a lot better if Bevin was still gonna be governor.

Here is an update on the situation. Kind of a long article, but this is where we stand. Also according to this, some republicans are in favor of this red flag bill.

https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...at/4269447002/

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I've contacted lawmakers numerous times. I have always received a reply however it's always been an obvious canned response in a form letter. I still think it's worth doing.
    I wish I could give this 100 likes. It is worth doing. The VCDL has done some unscientific, but I still think reliable, research on this. First, it's important to understand what happens when you write a legislator. They get a lot of correspondence on all kinds of things constantly. They are not staffed to do custom responses. The value of the contact should not be judged on the response.

It works like this: A communication comes in from a constituent urging the legislator to take a certain position on a certain topic or bill. A legislative aide summarizes the topic and position and adds it to a running log on topics and positions. Then the aide sends out the canned response. The legislators do look at those logs. The VCDL found that with state legislators, getting only 10 pieces of correspondence in a shot period of time on the same topic with the same recommended position is enough to get their attention. Just 10!

That may or may not change their whole position, but it will likely influence the extent to which that legislator may push or oppose a piece of legislation, the extent to which they might compromise on it, and/or if they would suggest a modification to the provisions it to make it more palatable to their constituents.

In Maine earlier this year, the Democratic trifecta wanted a red flag law. It got bargained down to a "yellow flag" law that required prior due process and an examination by a psyc. professional before any guns were taken. Not perfect, but a lot better than what was initially proposed.

So all activism adds up even if it is frustrating and doesn't get a warm and fuzzy response.
    Nmuskier and Merovius like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Sponsored Links