Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment - Page 2

Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment

This is a discussion on Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldChap The first thing I would note is that those slides are amateurish. I would advise the school board that whatever they ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    The first thing I would note is that those slides are amateurish. I would advise the school board that whatever they paid for such trashy textbooks, the taxpayers got robbed and the board should be seeking legal redress. Failing that, every member should be subject to a recall election.

Ultimately though, you should address the situation by withdrawing your kids from public school. It is basically an indoctrination center that has abandoned the noble concept of educating. I know that is extreme, but we are dealing with a system that has become the poster child for why the taxpayers should throw the tea into the waters of the harbor.

I'm waiting with baited breath for some teacher to start whining about needing a pay raise. I propose we start by firing all the administrative staff and dividing the money saved between the real teachers - if there are any.

[RANTOFF]
    Meh, this is her 4th grade year and my son went there pre-K through 5th grade and this is the first time I have ever seen or heard of anything like this (and we're very involved and I am probably overly sensitive to anything that feels like indoctrination). Not ready to pull the plug and spend $20K/year just yet.
    OldChap, airslot and baren like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    When my kids were in public school. We bought a home in a pretty conservative school district at the time.
    Very few times did I have to intervene.
    When I saw something I did not agree with, I sat my boys down and explained what I thought.
    As a parent I never abdicated my responsibility as the last word in my children's education, so good for you for checking up on this stuff.
    My kids knew that just because a teacher said something did not make it true. Facts vs opinions.
    I also warned them that they will never change a liberal teachers mind about stuff and it was just important to do what you needed to pass the class and graduate.

Okay, I've written a draft that I will cc the principal on as well. Thoughts?

I’m not a fan of political commentary or incorrect information being taught in school. Saying Fox “News”, or having several slides that mock Republicans or belittling a constitutional right is well outside of what I want you (or anybody else) “teaching” my kid. It’s tough enough for her to learn without having to worry about separating facts from opinions, so I would appreciate it if we stuck to the facts.

And along the line of facts, one slide on the 2nd Amendment reads “Its purpose was to prevent Congress from denying states the right to have a militia of armed citizens. States and federal government can regulate the possession and use of firearms by individuals.” That wasn’t the intention of the 2nd Amendment, as I have illustrated with some quotes from founding fathers along with a link to and a snippet from a summary of the Heller decision. I think it’s important to teach the kids actual facts, even if it isn’t popular.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” — Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” — Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.” — James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

https://www.britannica.com/event/Dis...umbia-v-Heller

“District of Columbia v. Heller, case in which the U.S. Supreme Court on June 26, 2008, held (5—4) that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to possess firearms independent of service in a state militia and to use firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, including self-defense within the home.”
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Okay, I've written a draft that I will cc the principal on as well. Thoughts?

I’m not a fan of political commentary or incorrect information being taught in school. Saying Fox “News”, or having several slides that mock Republicans or belittling a constitutional right is well outside of what I want you (or anybody else) “teaching” my kid. It’s tough enough for her to learn without having to worry about separating facts from opinions, so I would appreciate it if we stuck to the facts.

And along the line of facts, one slide on the 2nd Amendment reads “Its purpose was to prevent Congress from denying states the right to have a militia of armed citizens. States and federal government can regulate the possession and use of firearms by individuals.” That wasn’t the intention of the 2nd Amendment, as I have illustrated with some quotes from founding fathers along with a link to and a snippet from a summary of the Heller decision. I think it’s important to teach the kids actual facts, even if it isn’t popular.

“No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.” — Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

“The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” — Samuel Adams, Massachusetts Ratifying Convention, 1788

“The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.” — James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789

https://www.britannica.com/event/Dis...umbia-v-Heller

“District of Columbia v. Heller, case in which the U.S. Supreme Court on June 26, 2008, held (5—4) that the Second Amendment guarantees an individual right to possess firearms independent of service in a state militia and to use firearms for traditionally lawful purposes, including self-defense within the home.”
    Let us know what response you get from the school. I think it will be interesting.
    Havok, airslot and Rockymonster like this.

Not sure what 2nd am they are teaching on the elementary level here. Our local high school AFROTC does participate in the CMP competitions and placed in the top 3 in the state.
    airslot likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I think that’s a well written email. I’m always a fan of using the federalist essay to ensure people know that 2A isn’t about hunting, it is 100% about fighting the government.
    Brad426, airslot and baren like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Let us know what response you get from the school. I think it will be interesting.
    Abso-freakin-loutely!

Also, this is the sort of thing that Fox and Breitbart eat up (or at least Fox used to....).
    Sister, baren and airslot like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Meh, this is her 4th grade year and my son went there pre-K through 5th grade and this is the first time I have ever seen or heard of anything like this (and we're very involved and I am probably overly sensitive to anything that feels like indoctrination). Not ready to pull the plug and spend $20K/year just yet.
    It may not be happening in every school district, but every parent should spend some time in one on one with the teachers and guarantee the confidentiality of what is discussed. I suspect that many parents might be shocked at what teachers say about the system that has been created by bureaucrats.

We are thankful that our great grand kids are receiving a really first class education at home. In truth there are a lot of home schooled parents pooling resources. We have a number of professional people who volunteer time to spend with the kids - people who not only know how to teach, but have many years of life experienced in their chosen fields. We all chip in and help each other out. The kids reap all the rewards. I know some people spend the $20K on private schools, but I would put the education our kids are getting up against any place in the country. Just us though.
    Havok and Merovius like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Ex Member
    Wow, that Presentation is downright awful. It editorializes, incorrectly reports the purpose of 2A, and seems intended to advance a personal viewpoint as fact. I think the best course of action would be to file a formal complaint with the Superintendent of School and the School Board. The material should not only be withdrawn but it also should be clearly stated to be incorrect.
    airslot, M1911A1, Bikenut and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Unfortunately it's not up to the teacher , the school gives the teachers the lesson plans , " you will teach the children this "
    That's not how it works.
    This slide show wasn't given by the district. The teacher chose the resource.
    flh and airslot like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Maybe just ask that the actual document be the source and not these amateur memes that would get a D- in 6th grade Social Studies. The Bill of Rights ought to be easy for a 5th grade teacher to source.

(They only get a passing grade for being grammatically correct)
    M1911A1 and Merovius like this.
    Psalm 144:1

I could see the use of memes as a way to keep the attention of today's students. It is a bit much for 4th grade, though I am sure she thinks she is being clever. That aside, as you stated the interpretation is incorrect.

I like your response. Let us know how it goes. I teach 8th grade Social Studies in CA. Colonies to Reconstruction. I love it because I get to show all the reasons for the Constitution and the kids get to figure out the rest.

*As a teacher: Your child's education will depend more on your involvement than the quality of any and all teachers. Keep up the good work.
    Brad426, M1911A1, Sister and 2 others like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I could see the use of memes as a way to keep the attention of today's students. It is a bit much for 4th grade, though I am sure she thinks she is being clever. That aside, as you stated the interpretation is incorrect.

I like your response. Let us know how it goes. I teach 8th grade Social Studies in CA. Colonies to Reconstruction. I love it because I get to show all the reasons for the Constitution and the kids get to figure out the rest.

*As a teacher: Your child's education will depend more on your involvement than the quality of any and all teachers. Keep up the good work.
    I would be fine with the memes, if they were accurate. Just my opinion if it were my kids. How the information is presented is not as important as long as it’s accurate.
    BigJon10125, airslot and Hasaf like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

The only thing that I could add to this discussion, since I believe that you are doing the right thing, is that you might try to find like-minded parents (perhaps of other 4th-grade pupils) to join in the complaint with you.

The more complaints they get, the greater the change could be.
    ...If the Principal is willing to actually do something about the issue.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, præparet bellum."

My 9-year-old daughter is in the 4th grade. She goes to a pretty good public elementary school in Fulton county, Georgia (no, really). A couple of weeks ago they started learning about the Constitution and the founding fathers. The study guide for the test got sent out in an e-mail to all the parents. Now I always like to scroll through the study guides (mostly to find and point out errors so I can feel smug and superior), but I was particularly interested to see how they addressed the Constitution and, in particular, the 2nd Amendment. Below are the three slides of the Power Point presentation that dealt with the 2A:

Attachment 306934

Attachment 306936

Attachment 306938

I've been thinking about how I am going to address it... thoughts?
    Take your kid out of school and tell the lying nazi why.
    Sister likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links