Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment

This is a discussion on Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My 9-year-old daughter is in the 4th grade. She goes to a pretty good public elementary school in Fulton county, Georgia (no, really). A couple ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment

My 9-year-old daughter is in the 4th grade. She goes to a pretty good public elementary school in Fulton county, Georgia (no, really). A couple of weeks ago they started learning about the Constitution and the founding fathers. The study guide for the test got sent out in an e-mail to all the parents. Now I always like to scroll through the study guides (mostly to find and point out errors so I can feel smug and superior), but I was particularly interested to see how they addressed the Constitution and, in particular, the 2nd Amendment. Below are the three slides of the Power Point presentation that dealt with the 2A:

Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment-1.png

Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment-2.png

Public School's Teaching of the 2nd Amendment-3.png

I've been thinking about how I am going to address it... thoughts?
    OldChap, airslot, Sister and 2 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member
    Well, I suppose calling the teacher a liar is off the table?
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Well, I suppose calling the teacher a liar is off the table?
    I'm leaning more towards "Please just teach my kid facts. I'm not interested in your opinions or incorrect interpretations." I'm open to suggestions, though.
    TimBob, OldVet, airslot and 6 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Perhaps this might help as source material included in an email to the school asking for a chat with the teacher and the principal/superintendent/school board.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/t...is-says-it-all

-snip-
    “The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country.” — James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434, June 8, 1789-snip-
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

I struggle with how to tell the grandchildren that they are being lied to.
    OldChap, airslot, Sister and 2 others like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

flh
    Unfortunately it's not up to the teacher , the school gives the teachers the lesson plans , " you will teach the children this "

The Greatest Lesson I Have Learned in Life is that I still have a lot to Learn

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Unfortunately it's not up to the teacher , the school gives the teachers the lesson plans , " you will teach the children this "
    Sadly that is the excuse by the teachers when they have heated parents, but the School Boards always point to the teacher having free-lanced when they get called on it. The truth is often that the teacher took required materials and developed their own slides, etc.
    Brad426, flh, OldChap and 7 others like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Quote Originally Posted by flh View Post
    Nope, I asked the teacher where that Power Point study guide came from and she said she made it.
    flh, Nmuskier, airslot and 2 others like this.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Nope, I asked the teacher where that Power Point study guide came from and she said she made it.
    Even more reason to get the principal/superintendent/school board involved.
    Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Wait, she's showing those slides with those memes? You didn't edit those at all?
    Risasi and Sister like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Wait, she's showing those slides with those memes? You didn't edit those at all?
    Not a bit. That's how they came in the study guide.
    Sister likes this.
    Clint Eastwood

I would address it by just telling both the teacher and your daughter the correct information.
    We get the government we deserve.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Not a bit. That's how they came in the study guide.
    I'd talk to the principal.
    Brad426, flh, TimBob and 3 others like this.

I would be in the Principal's office the next morning, and depending how it went, in the Superintendent's office in the afternoon.

I wouldn't expect a slide filled with NRA talking points, but in 4th Grade a few key points of summary and outline of the debate is appropriate, not childish crap.

Sending a copy to your local media investigative team may also get some action.
    OldChap, Brad426, TimBob and 8 others like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

The first thing I would note is that those slides are amateurish. I would advise the school board that whatever they paid for such trashy textbooks, the taxpayers got robbed and the board should be seeking legal redress. Failing that, every member should be subject to a recall election.

Ultimately though, you should address the situation by withdrawing your kids from public school. It is basically an indoctrination center that has abandoned the noble concept of educating. I know that is extreme, but we are dealing with a system that has become the poster child for why the taxpayers should throw the tea into the waters of the harbor.

I'm waiting with baited breath for some teacher to start whining about needing a pay raise. I propose we start by firing all the administrative staff and dividing the money saved between the real teachers - if there are any.

[RANTOFF]
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

My avatar is of Princess. We lost her after many years. Her little sweater says, "Meet me under the Misltletoe."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links