TN: Appointed Police Chief wants to ban all firearms from vehicles in Memphis - Page 2

TN: Appointed Police Chief wants to ban all firearms from vehicles in Memphis

This is a discussion on TN: Appointed Police Chief wants to ban all firearms from vehicles in Memphis within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ButtShot14 Just more Demo, commie thinking. I suppose that would also mean no guns in police cars. That should go over good. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: TN: Appointed Police Chief wants to ban all firearms from vehicles in Memphis

Quote Originally Posted by ButtShot14 View Post
    Just more Demo, commie thinking. I suppose that would also mean no guns in police cars. That should go over good.
    No, the police are always excluded from restrictive gun laws. That's how police states work.
    sdprof, craze and kmckinnon like this.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    He is doing his job. He's an appointee of the Mayor/City Council and his job is a) to keep them happy, b) to make them happy, and c) to take the heat by saying things they want but won't say because they'd loose votes by doing so themselves.
    I agree with your conclusion, but guess that is not in his job description.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

One more reason to avoid Memphis.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

All he needs to do is declare all of Memphis a Navy installation then ...voila he has a gun free zone... which is what the criminal element there wants!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

The law that says a person can keep a loaded weapon in their car here in Tennessee without a HCP was enacted about a year ago-it treats a persons car as under the Castle Doctrine which is a State law-so I say he can go pound sand.
    I have lived in the Memphis area for 20 years and would feel naked without my carry piece-screw these Democrat's and their hostile intent towards us citizens.
    THE CROW

For those unfamiliar with Rallings or Memphis, let me provide a few facts. A - Rallings was a long-time member of the MPD Shooting Team, is into guns and is generally supportive of gun owners. I haven't always seen eye-to-eye with him on every decision he's made since he became the director but he's a decent guy. B - Although I haven't had a chance to ask him about this particular area, I highly doubt that he's talking about trying to stop people from completely carrying a handgun in their vehicle. If you aren't in law-enforcement, especially in TN, then you probably wouldn't know that the amount of firearms being stolen out of vehicles has jumped tremendously since the law was modified to allow folks to carry a firearm in their vehicle without a carry permit. It's because so many people are leaving a firearm in their vehicle all the time now. Also, now that there are AR-15 and AK-47 "pistols," many times these are the types of firearms the bad guys are rolling around with. More and more 5.56/.223 and 7.62x39 casings are showing up at crime scenes instead of the 9mm or .45 casings that used to be laying on the ground.

Now understand, I'm very supportive of all citizens being able to to own firearms and exercise their God-given rights. However, all of you should know by now that, especially in a liberal town like Memphis, the MSM may not always give you all the information about a subject or may slant the content to fit their agenda. With it seeming like all big city police chiefs or sheriffs being anti-gun, and especially with situations developing like the one in VA now, it's easy to quickly jump to conclusions. But until you've heard it straight from the horse's mouth, I wouldn't just assume you've got the straight skinny on a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsoldier4fun View Post
    For those unfamiliar with Rallings or Memphis, let me provide a few facts...
    So you're saying the problem isn't having guns in vehicles but leaving guns in vehicles. That is an issue anywhere. Guns stolen from vehicles is a problem here in FL also, but no CoP has made demands to ban having them, just reinforcing that they should not be left in vehicles. That's just owner irresponsibility.
    5lima30ret and kmckinnon like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    So you're saying the problem isn't having guns in vehicles but leaving guns in vehicles. That is an issue anywhere. Guns stolen from vehicles is a problem here in FL also, but no CoP has made demands to ban having them, just reinforcing that they should not be left in vehicles. That's just owner irresponsibility.
    Yes, leaving the weapons in the vehicle is the biggest problem here. It's mind-boggling how many firearms are stolen out of vehicles. It's also mind-boggling how many people leave other valuables in their vehicle or leave their vehicle running at a convenience store while they run inside. It's stupidity run amok.
    OldVet likes this.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Even the FBI has been guilty of leaving guns in vehicles in Memphis. They went to John Shaw's for some training and left their full auto toys in the Suburbans. Fortunately they did get them back and the suburbans too.
    Joe

Canít comment on other states but in Illinois a CC goes to gun free zone you have to leave your weapon in your car. A solution to prevent the risk of having it stolen from a vehicle would be to get rid of gun free zones and keeping guns holstered and concealed. This would also make GFZ safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    As if that will make any difference in crime, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    Hey, people, when will you realize that ther words "less crime" is just red herring. What they want is to exterminate independent self-reliant people. Any way possible. Thust perpetuating themselves in offices. As independent self-reliant people will never vote for trash like they are.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
    Even the FBI has been guilty of leaving guns in vehicles in Memphis. They went to John Shaw's for some training and left their full auto toys in the Suburbans. Fortunately they did get them back and the suburbans too.
    Actually, they were staying at a hotel in east Memphis when their vehicle was stolen with full-auto MP5s, shotguns, ammo and flash-bangs inside. Supposedly, they were in town for a regional SWAT conference. We got the weapons back after a full-court press. The vehicle had been torched in an alley in the Greenlaw section of town. The rest has been used for the most part by now, I'm sure, as that was about 22-23 years ago.

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Soldier, I'm pretty sure the incident I was talking about was more than 22-23 years ago. I believe it was back when I was still playing IPSC. I quit doing that about '91. Seems like it was back when we were at the old range. That range went away in '89. Maybe they didn't learn from their first mistake and it happened to them twice?
    Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links