A new low in proposed guns laws, coming soon to your state

This is a discussion on A new low in proposed guns laws, coming soon to your state within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just introduced by the Democratic trifecta in VA. This has a real chance of passing. Prohibits the operation of an indoor shooting range , defined ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: A new low in proposed guns laws, coming soon to your state

Just introduced by the Democratic trifecta in VA. This has a real chance of passing.

Prohibits the operation of an indoor shooting range, defined in the bill, in any building not owned or leased by the Commonwealth or federal government unless (i) fewer than 50 employees work in the building or (ii) (a) at least 90 percent of the users of the indoor shooting range are law-enforcement officers or federal law-enforcement officers, (b) the indoor shooting range maintains a log of each user's name, phone number, address, and the law-enforcement agency where such user is employed, and (c) the indoor shooting range verifies each user's identity and address by requiring all users to present a government-issued photo-identification card.

This seems like a direct targeting of the NRA HQ Range, for sure, and maybe some of the larger gun stores that have ranges. Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond and Virginia Beach probably have over 50 employees each if you count part-timers.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    Just introduced by the Democratic trifecta in VA. This has a real chance of passing.

Prohibits the operation of an indoor shooting range, defined in the bill, in any building not owned or leased by the Commonwealth or federal government unless (i) fewer than 50 employees work in the building or (ii) (a) at least 90 percent of the users of the indoor shooting range are law-enforcement officers or federal law-enforcement officers, (b) the indoor shooting range maintains a log of each user's name, phone number, address, and the law-enforcement agency where such user is employed, and (c) the indoor shooting range verifies each user's identity and address by requiring all users to present a government-issued photo-identification card.

This seems like a direct targeting of the NRA HQ Range, for sure, and maybe some of the larger gun stores that have ranges. Colonial Shooting Academy in Richmond and Virginia Beach probably have over 50 employees each if you count part-timers.
    One of the largest indoor shooting ranges in the nation is just five miles from my home. I'm quite sure it has less than 50 employees and a lot of law enforcement agencies and security personnel make use of it. And it also has a very large private citizen customer base, as well.

And yes, I do think you're on to something with the targeting of the NRA range.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; January 6th, 2020 at 11:56 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Hopefully it doesn't pass or become a trend! That being said I prefer outdoor ranges! The indoor ones I have taught classes at give me pounding headaches!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

More evidence that itís not about reducing crime. This is aimed at ensuring people can not be proficient with firearms use, and the only shooting people do is the type the government says is ok. As far as Iím concerned, if the government owns any ranges they should be free to residents.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't pass or become a trend! That being said I prefer outdoor ranges! The indoor ones I have taught classes at give me pounding headaches!
    Well, local governments were trying to crack down on outdoor ranges in VA even when the Republicans had the legislature. The VCDL was packing city and county council and zoning board meetings regularly over that. Developments would creep out near the ranges, new snowflake residents would hear the shots and start melting.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I understand the under the table reasons, but what is the stated need for this restriction?
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

what is the stated need for this restriction?
    Control! Need i say more?
    msgt/ret, Havok, Frodebro and 6 others like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

I stick with my outdoor range on private land. Less lead to breath when I shoot my cast ; )
    H/D
    Havok likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

I wonder if a nice underground/above ground range would be part of that prohibited package since it would not occupy a building?
    https://ahlmans.com/sight-in-range.html

Maybe WLP will donate some of his income to the cause now?

This does appear to be a deliberate attack on the NRA HQ.
    Havok, NECCdude, hogdaddy and 1 others like this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    I stick with my outdoor range on private land. Less lead to breath when I shoot my cast ; )
    H/D
    I wish I could establish/afford my own private outdoor range.
    Microwave technicians are fully deviated.

Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

It's easy...first move to a state that is still sort of gun friendly, buy at least 20 acres unless you will have farm fields all around you like here in Iowa, build a berm as a backstop and start shooting. Easy

I have a 100 yard range in one direction and 10 yards in the other direction. The nearest house is a 1/4 mile away in the 10 yard direction with timber between us and the next nearest is over half a mile away, so not terribly boonified but out here in the middle of corn country.

I have the ability and room (but not the resources) to shoot 500 yards on my property. My neighbor said I could shoot to the end of his farm field which would give me a little over a half mile. But that's not happening either. Although in that direction there are no houses or buildings of any kind in a straight line for over two miles, there are two houses about 1/4 mile off to the sides of that straight line about 3/4 of a mile away. That is plenty of distance for a deflected or stray bullet to cause bad, bad mojo.

I take great care to shoot low at my 100 yard backstop berm but even then there's always that chance that I'll bounce one up and over. At least the space would give a tumbling projectile time to lose some energy in the next 3/4 mile. I also tried hard to get all the stones out of my back berm soil. No guarantees ever however.

Quote Originally Posted by NECCdude View Post
    I wish I could establish/afford my own private outdoor range.
    So do I.. Just got lucky with 130 acres access to hunt,fish & of course shoot ; ) PS A good freind
    H/D
    KILTED COWBOY likes this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    NO!!!, Virginians Need to Fight back against these Unconstitutional so-called "Laws"!. Bloomberg is using your State as a Poster Child for the rest of America so he can Dictate to the rest of us how he want`s us to Bow Down. Hell NO!!!!!. For Virginia...Fight!.

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    More evidence that itís not about reducing crime. This is aimed at ensuring people can not be proficient with firearms use, and the only shooting people do is the type the government says is ok. As far as Iím concerned, if the government owns any ranges they should be free to residents.
    Exactly. If it was about stopping/decreasing gun injuries and deaths, then why make it more difficult to learn how to safely and proficiently use a firearm.

The government wants to control what can be done on private property, who your customer base is and how many people can be employed. Where does that stop?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links