VA: HOUSE BILL NO. 961 to make possessing 10+ magazines a felony

This is a discussion on VA: HOUSE BILL NO. 961 to make possessing 10+ magazines a felony within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The bill put forward by Delegate Mark Levine (D) would make it a felony for law-abiding citizens to possess a magazine holding more than 10 ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree139Likes

Thread: VA: HOUSE BILL NO. 961 to make possessing 10+ magazines a felony

VIP Member

The bill put forward by Delegate Mark Levine (D) would make it a felony for law-abiding citizens to possess a magazine holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. It further would make it a felony to possess 10-round magazines, if such magazines have a “removable plate” on the bottom that would allow capacity expansion.

HOUSE BILL NO. 961
    Offered January 8, 2020
    Prefiled January 7, 2020
    A BILL to amend and reenact §§ 16.1-278.9, 18.2-287.4, 18.2-308.2:01, 18.2-308.2:1, 18.2-308.2:2, 18.2-308.7, 18.2-308.8, and 19.2-386.28 of the Code of Virginia and to amend the Code of Virginia by adding sections numbered 18.2-308.9 through 18.2-308.13, relating to prohibition of sale, transport, etc., of assault firearms, certain firearms magazines, silencers, and trigger activators; penalties.
    ----------
    Patron-- Levine
    ----------
    Committee Referral Pending
    ----------

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia...

https://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/leg...?201+ful+HB961
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

@PPS1980 : Seriously, this does not surprise me. The real shocker should be that they are up to 961 House Bills on the day they are sworn in. There are some other bad bills in there that don't have to do with guns, like prohibiting any area in the state from being zoned for single family housing. So you thought you were moving to the 'burbs, but guess what's going up next to you..."the projects!"
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

So what happens if I use my gen3 Glock 19 in my defense and it has its standard magazine, which means 15 rounds? Am I going to be classed as a felon?

This is in clear violation of the "ex post facto" clause of the Virginia and the federal constitutions. They need to be called to the carpet on this by our side.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    So what happens if I use my gen3 Glock 19 in my defense and it has its standard magazine, which means 15 rounds? Am I going to be classed as a felon?
    If this becomes law and you are convicted of violating it, yes.
    Bad Bob and AnthonyC like this.

Don't you wonder how many of the people voting on that will read it from start to finish... and how many of those will actually comprehend it?? They should have to pass a comprehension test on a bill before they are allowed to vote on it... in any state or federal legislative body IMO. I never would have guessed it'd be a southern state but VA is kinda terrifying right now.

Good Luck Guys!!!!
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    @PPS1980 : You really had to cut and past the whole thing. Have you heard of links? LOL

Seriously, this does not surprise me. The real shocker should be that they are up to 961 House Bills on the day they are sworn in. There are some other bad bills in there that don't have to do with guns, like prohibiting any area in the state from being zoned for single family housing. So you thought you were moving to the 'burbs, but guess what's going up next to you..."the projects!"
    I don't see the whole thing there........what are you talking about?

There are just too many laws creating instant felons.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Don't you wonder how many of the people voting on that will read it from start to finish... and how many of those will actually comprehend it?? They should have to pass a comprehension test on a bill before they are allowed to vote on it... in any state or federal legislative body IMO. I never would have guessed it'd be a southern state but VA is kinda terrifying right now.

Good Luck Guys!!!!
    Which was part of my original intent (see what I did there) in posting the entire bill in all its gibberish glory. But, I do understand the forum and mods seeing it as excessive and editing it down to a reasonable size. If only the elected idiots could have that level of wisdom.

I watched a video by a pro-gun attorney in Virginia Beach. He and a couple other attorneys did an analysis of what percentage of Virginians probably own weapons that will be prohibited by just SB 16, the "Assault Firearms Ban." They applied those percentages to just the city of Suffolk, which is about 90,000 people. Then they made the assumption that half of those people would comply with the law. Then they calculated the probable cost to detect, arrest, try, convict and incarcerate the half that didn't, when all was said and done. They felt it would be in the neighborhood of $250 million dollars. That does not even include possible lawsuits against the city. The entire annual operating and capital budget for Suffolk is $639.4 million.

You do the math...
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I think in a territory where the government is forcibly confiscating firearms, due process and lawsuits become perfunctory. Civil liberty, our Constitution, BOR and freedom will already have left the building. I've no idea what it looks like if things come to that and I've heard all the themes... the one thing I do know is won't go they way the people behind it think it will either.
    M1911A1, Merovius and baren like this.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need it and don't have it, you'll never need it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post

This is in clear violation of the "ex post facto" clause of the Virginia and the federal constitutions. They need to be called to the carpet on this by our side.
    Bloomberg didn’t care in NY, and doesn’t care here either. He got away with it (SAFE Act?) and will keep pushing the same garbage elsewhere, including here in VA.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

No one, and I mean no one, has ever been able to explain to me how the magic number 10 was determined. During a discussion at lunch today, I asked, "So, rather than carry a gun with a 15-round magazine, I now have to carry a gun with a 10-rounder. Plus another 10-rounder in my pocket. How does that make sense? In fact, I'm now carrying MORE lethality than if I just had my 15 rounds."

Dumb look.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    No one, and I mean no one, has ever been able to explain to me how the magic number 10 was determined. During a discussion at lunch today, I asked, "So, rather than carry a gun with a 15-round magazine, I now have to carry a gun with a 10-rounder. Plus another 10-rounder in my pocket. How does that make sense? In fact, I'm now carrying MORE lethality than if I just had my 15 rounds."

Dumb look.
    NECCdude, Militant and 5lima30ret like this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post

Dumb look.

Most lawmakers have ten (10) fingers. So they can count and visualize up to ten (10) fairly easily. After that the numbers look big and scary.

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    So if my magazine has an ident that prevents it from being loaded beyond 10 rounds but still has a removable base, I can’t own it? This just shows how it is about taking things from law-abiding citizens and nothing to do with violence.

What I still find interesting about the 10rds, is that the Safe-Act was originally 7rds, but that was deemed not Constitutional yet 10 is ok. What is the magically difference in the regards to the Constitution between 7 and 10?
    M1911A1 and G26Raven like this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links