The best quote/news about gun rights I've heard in a while

This is a discussion on The best quote/news about gun rights I've heard in a while within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; VCDL President Phil Van Cleave made a great philosophical comment on John Crumps YouTube livecast tonight. Crump is the VA state director for the GOA. ...

Like Tree40Likes
  • 18 Post By jmf552
  • 7 Post By PPS1980
  • 1 Post By GraySkies
  • 1 Post By Mark_in_wi
  • 2 Post By Well_Regulated
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 4 Post By SouthernBoyVA
  • 1 Post By bklynboy
  • 2 Post By jmf552
  • 2 Post By spclopr8tr
  • 1 Post By jmf552

Thread: The best quote/news about gun rights I've heard in a while

VCDL President Phil Van Cleave made a great philosophical comment on John Crumps YouTube livecast tonight. Crump is the VA state director for the GOA. His YouTube channel is not all that well subscribed, but he has a lot of great content on it.

Keep in mind Phil has been fighting for gun rights with the VCDL since 1995, the last 20 years as the president. So he has been in the trenches for a long time, working with both blue, red and mixed administration.

Here were his words of wisdom: "What is going on with gun rights now is a kind of "purgatory" for gun owners. It is painful, but it all had to happen. Gun owners have gotten too complacent and needed to be woken up. But now they have been woken up in a big way."

The anti-gunners are shocked by the response. They don't want to deal with it. Today, the new legislators were sworn in. What has always happened the first day of the session is the rules are set. For the first time, that did not happen. There is a credible rumor that they know they don't have the votes they need to pass these bills and they know it. They are stalling.

Another phenomenon is that Trump's approval ratings have shot up in VA since all this started. This all blue state is going to lose to Trump.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    I pray he is right.
    airslot, Frodebro, OD* and 4 others like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array GraySkies's Avatar
    I'm not sure the waking has entirely happened yet. I hope so, though. Great quote!
    airslot likes this.
    The antis just don't understand the depth of love & bonding that comes with guns - redbirddog5

2nd AMENDMENT: The gateway drug to freedom addiction.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I'm not sure the waking has entirely happened yet. I hope so, though. Great quote!
    My feelings exactly.
    airslot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    The anti-gunners are shocked by the response. They don't want to deal with it. Today, the new legislators were sworn in. What has always happened the first day of the session is the rules are set. For the first time, that did not happen. There is a credible rumor that they know they don't have the votes they need to pass these bills and they know it. They are stalling.
    I don't believe in coincidences. The Loudoun County (one of the few that voted AGAINST 2A sanctuary status) Board of Supervisors today adopted a new rule of meeting secrecy. Because hey, what we say behind closed doors shouldn't come out into the public domain, eh?
    KILTED COWBOY and ETXhiker like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by Well_Regulated View Post
    I don't believe in coincidences. The Loudoun County (one of the few that voted AGAINST 2A sanctuary status) Board of Supervisors today adopted a new rule of meeting secrecy. Because hey, what we say behind closed doors shouldn't come out into the public domain, eh?
    That would be in violation of state law if it were FL.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

This all blue state is going to lose to Trump.
    As a side note, this has always bothered me. I mean, who came up with this two-color scheme for states where blue is one party and red is another? They got it all wrong! It should be the other way around.

We should be blue and the other side should be red. I'm pretty sure most remember Red China, the Reds of the former Soviet Union, and anything else on the communist side being red. Red was the color always associated with the far left and with communism. Blue was associated with America and freedom.

Who turned this around?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    As a side note, this has always bothered me. I mean, who came up with this two-color scheme for states where blue is one party and red is another? They got it all wrong! It should be the other way around.

We should be blue and the other side should be red. I'm pretty sure most remember Red China, the Reds of the former Soviet Union, and anything else on the communist side being red. Red was the color always associated with the far left and with communism. Blue was associated with America and freedom.

Who turned this around?
    Good question! I looked it up online. The easy answer is it is a graphic convention the media settled on starting about 2000. It seemed to have started with the NY Times, but quickly spread to broadcast media. Also, the Democratic Party used a blue logo starting in 2010, possibly trying to associate with the idea of "blue collar."

I don't know if the media ever thought of this, but the symbol of red has often been associated with the conservative institutions of Christianity (Christ's blood) and monarchy. Also, as the NY Times said in 2000, "red" and "Republican" both start with "R" and it makes it easier to remember. I think that is kind of lame, but there it is.

Anyhow, now we are kind of stuck with it.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

I was pleasantly surprised to see that Virginia Beach just approved a 2A sanctuary resolution. I was surprised that a large city that voted Democrat would do this. This is getting interesting. I made another contribution to the VCDL in December but I expect that the VA legislature will pass a range of unacceptable new gun control laws. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping Trump gets to appoint a new Supreme Court justice sooner rather than later.
    Merovius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    I was pleasantly surprised to see that Virginia Beach just approved a 2A sanctuary resolution. I was surprised that a large city that voted Democrat would do this. This is getting interesting. I made another contribution to the VCDL in December but I expect that the VA legislature will pass a range of unacceptable new gun control laws. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping Trump gets to appoint a new Supreme Court justice sooner rather than later.
    We are planning not to let it come to that. People think: The Dems want gun control, they have the majority, so it's a simple as that. But the legislative path in VA is complicated. All these bills will have to go through at least two committees in the House, two in the Senate and a conference committee between the two. Any one of those committees can kill a bill. When bills fail, that is usually where they fail. If we can even get one or two committee members to switch their votes, the bill is over for the session.

Our legislators are not full-time. They make less than 20k a year from the state, so they either have day jobs, well-to-do spouses or are retired. The vast majority got no outside money and are not ambitious for higher office. But they all have to live in their communities. They are sensitive to that. The 2A sanctuary movement is taking its toll on them. Rumors are the Dems can't count on all votes they need.

Maine got most of its gun control bills defeated against a new Dem trifecta last year. We plan on doing the same. We have to.
    Well_Regulated and Frodebro like this.

I would bump this thread just to keep jmf552's post in front of people.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

We are planning not to let it come to that. People think: The Dems want gun control, they have the majority, so it's a simple as that. But the legislative path in VA is complicated. All these bills will have to go through at least two committees in the House, two in the Senate and a conference committee between the two. Any one of those committees can kill a bill. When bills fail, that is usually where they fail. If we can even get one or two committee members to switch their votes, the bill is over for the session.

Our legislators are not full-time. They make less than 20k a year from the state, so they either have day jobs, well-to-do spouses or are retired. The vast majority got no outside money and are not ambitious for higher office. But they all have to live in their communities. They are sensitive to that. The 2A sanctuary movement is taking its toll on them. Rumors are the Dems can't count on all votes they need.

Maine got most of its gun control bills defeated against a new Dem trifecta last year. We plan on doing the same. We have to.
    My new representative is Jennifer Weston who ran on a gun control platform. I will message her, but I doubt it will have much of an impact.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GraySkies View Post
    I think the awakening is like a blood stain slowing growing across the country. VA has shown the way. Even though TN has been a fairly reliable bastion of gun rights, we are starting to see the sanctuary movement growing here as well. While the legislature is solidly red, it is populated by many RINOs. Even our recently elected governor is starting to look more and more like one. It is better to be out ahead of what could become a potential crisis rather wait until one is actually upon us. We will be watching VA closely.
    GraySkies and krunchnik like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    who came up with this two-color scheme for states where blue is one party and red is another? They got it all wrong! It should be the other way around.

We should be blue and the other side should be red.
    Who turned this around?
    As far back as I can remember, military simulations referred to friendly forces as blue, and enemies as red. As soon as we had very fast election results and color television graphics (probably the late sixties), the MSM - then the only game in town - used this convention. Blue was their buddies, the Democrats. There was no organization around to call the perps out.

Never let anything mechanical know that you're in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy View Post
    My new representative is Jennifer Weston who ran on a gun control platform. I will message her, but I doubt it will have much of an impact.
    Phil Van Cleave says those are the reps you want to message every day.
    bklynboy likes this.

Sponsored Links