Defensive Carry banner

Virginia is at the brink of destroying the second amendment

1K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  The Old Anglo 
#1 ·
https://gunowners.org/va172020/

Please email our legislators through this link.

I am seeing all sorts of insane proposals in the past week. We need to stop this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

#5 ·
Firstly, the real danger is to Article I, Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution and then the Second Amendment of the Federal Constitution. The first one is under immediate siege while the second one is safe from this nonsense for the moment.

#7 ·
I like to remind folks that the Virginia Constitution was ratified in 1776 -- twelve years before the U.S. Constitution. And most of it, including Article 1, Section 13 was written by patriot George Mason (for whom there is a state university named -- and where the gun-grabbers have recently held meetings), who declined to sign the U.S. Constitution originally because it did not include a Bill of Rights. Article 1, Section 13 of the Virginia Constitution reads

Article I. Bill of Rights
Section 13. Militia; standing armies; military subordinate to civil power
That a well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state, therefore, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; that standing armies, in time of peace, should be avoided as dangerous to liberty; and that in all cases the military should be under strict subordination to, and governed by, the civil power.

#8 ·
We are at the brink of destroying more than 2A. The first official day of the session was the 8th. What is supposed to happen the first day is the legislature sets the rules for the session and assigns bills to committees. But they didn't do that on the 8th and people were speculating as to why. Now we know why.

The Dems in the House all got together in closed session and came up with a rule that all gun bills get handled by one committee, the Rules Committee. Then they got it voted in along party lines. This circumvents the normal committee process, limits legislator and public debate, and makes it easier to "slam dunk" these bills. Republicans have complained that this hijacks the whole legislative process. As those of you who have done lobbying know, committees are normally the best place to get legislation killed.

It would not be surprising if the Senate does the same.

#9 ·
It is getting worse by the day. The disdain they have for the electorate is beyond belief. Sounds a little the house impeachment hearings.

Reactions: Merovius
#16 ·
I think economic boycotts are too benign for what’s going on. The second amendment was made for this, and they specified “arms” for a reason as they tend to get more accomplished.

I see VA as the first test of real patriots’ resolve. This isn’t CA or NY. I don’t see people standing for this and perhaps we will see what a “well regulated militia” looks like in the 21st century to fight tyranny.

#17 ·
The problem for Virginia from what I have seen so far is that every single bill proposed is already a law somewhere else that has already been challenged in the courts and found to be constitutional. Unless they can come up with some untried legal arguments their only hope is to keep them from ever getting passed because there does not appear to be any reason for the courts to get involved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.