VA Dems have blinked: A small ray of hope

This is a discussion on VA Dems have blinked: A small ray of hope within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is the best news I have seen in a while: Many have been saying there is no hope at all in VA and the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: VA Dems have blinked: A small ray of hope

This is the best news I have seen in a while: Many have been saying there is no hope at all in VA and the 2A sanctuary movement and Lobby Day will amount to nothing, that VA Dem legislators will vote like the Borg. And I admit the following bit of news is far, far short of a turnaround of this horrible situation.

But two things happened today: First, it was NRA Lobby Day, which brought out "hundreds" according to the news. It is commendable, but was tiny compared to the tens of thousands we expect next Monday at VCDL Lobby Day. Second, it was the day that the Senate prepared the docket for the bills it will consider.

Here's the big news: Four moderate Democratic senators blocked putting SB16, the so-called "assault firearms ban" on the docket. They said they are still studying the problem of these weapons and they think SB16 is unenforceable. Unfortunately, they put some other bad bills on the docket, like "one handgun a month, red flag and UBCs. But it is the first break in Dem ranks on gun control and it has come very early in the session.

The Senate is 51-49 Dem. So two Dems voting pro-gun, assuming we don't have any RINO defections, could kill any or all of the proposed anti-gun bills. The system is definitely broken, but it can still work! We are still in deep doo doo in VA, but every bit of good news is welcome.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Certainly good news. Thanks for keeping us up to day!
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array SOS24's Avatar
    Hopefully many more Dems think about their stances, especially if representing areas that have voted to be 2A sanctuaries.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    Even with SB16 (AWB) pulled, there remains a similar bill in the House of Delegates (HB 961).
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDiablo View Post
    Even with SB16 (AWB) pulled, there remains a similar bill in the House of Delegates (HB 961).
    Yeah, and I am told the Senate combined some of SB16 into another bill. But this is the first time I have seen Dems senators giving quotes on the record to the media expressing concern about the proposals for an "assault firearms ban." One said, "The issue is more complicated than it seems." The other said, "As it stands, it is not enforceable."

Hey, I admit I'm grasping for any glimmer of light I can find. This is bad, really bad. So it was nice to see some positive signal from the other side. I am not saying things are turning around, by any means.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Moderator
    Wait until Lobby Day!
    msgt/ret and airslot like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

What I really hate is how many of the bills want to make things felonies. So in Virginia you can be a domestic abuser, assault someone and commit larceny and only be charged with a misdemeanor; but get caught in possession of a magazine over 10 rounds or restricted ammo and they want to make you a felon.

They need to quit acting like this has anything to do with stopping violence.

Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    What I really hate is how many of the bills want to make things felonies. So in Virginia you can be a domestic abuser, assault someone and commit larceny and only be charged with a misdemeanor; but get caught in possession of a magazine over 10 rounds or restricted ammo and they want to make you a felon.

They need to quit acting like this has anything to do with stopping violence.
    I don't believe we have anything like this here. Did I miss something of recent concern?
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Two of the bills that really concern me, all really concern me but these two in particular, are SB 70 (Universal Background Checks) and SB 240 (Red Flag Law).

In order for SB 70 to work, two things MUST take place. An initial inventory and registration of all privately owned firearms and a periodic unannounced check of that inventory against citizens' current collection. Without doing this, "authorities" would have no idea of what may have been sold, transferred as a gift, or traded. The operative dangerous word in all of this is registration. UBC's are nothing more than an excuse to register legally owned firearms for future nefarious purposes. They are an open doorway into what Virginians own, how they store their firearms, and even how much ammunition they have*. The danger to liberty with UBC's cannot be over stated.

SB 240 is a clear violation of a number of our rights. Amendments Four, Five, Six, Ten, and Fourteen come to mind. It is so vile and despicable that it I almost cannot imagine any Virginian supporting such a bill. Let your imagination run wild for a moment. A neighbor with whom you have running problems. A family member with whom you just do not get along. A coworker who is out to get you anyway he can. And on and on. All would become threats to your liberty. The Salem witch trials are back and the Star Chamber is in business.

* Many people store their ammunition in safes.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; January 14th, 2020 at 01:47 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I beieve that anything that happens in Virginia will just embolden the liberals in other states. There was recently a economic summit here in Southern Utah where all the candidates for governor of the state appeared. The subject of gun control did not come up and most of these folks don't have web sites up yet, but I will be watching the candidates carefully and have already emailed some of them. Gun owners must be vigilant.
    Last edited by G26Raven; January 14th, 2020 at 11:16 AM.
    I'm with Joe Biden - you can't have 50 clips in a weapon!
    Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures.
    We are ALL Virginians!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    I don't believe we have anything like this here. Did I miss something of recent concern?
    18.2-308.3 of current Virginia code describes restricted ammunition, but it was only an add on felony charge if used during a crime. With proposed bill HB899, simple possession or transport would be a felony.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp...?201+ful+HB899

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I beieve that anything that happens in Virginia will just embolden the liberals in other states. There was recently a economic summit here in Southern Utah where all the candidates for governor of the state appeared. The subject of gun control did not come up and most of these folks don't have web sites up yet, but I will be watching the candidates carefully and have already emailed some of them. Gun owners must be vigilant.
    You are absolutely correct because many of the proposed Virginia bills are being tailored after current laws in other states like CA, NJ, NY, etc. The fact that they are laws in other states is one of the defenses that Northam is using to say that these proposed bills are sensible and Constitutional. Any gun law in any state that is not opposed and struck down in the courts will become a template elsewhere for gun controllers.

NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by SOS24 View Post
    18.2-308.3 of current Virginia code describes restricted ammunition, but it was only an add on felony charge if used during a crime. With proposed bill HB899, simple possession or transport would be a felony.

Bill Tracking - 2020 session > Legislation
    Thanks. They do not specifically detail the type(s) of restricted ammunition but I would guess they might mean any explosive rounds, perhaps tracer rounds, and armor piercing rounds. When I first read your post, the situation in New Jersey came to mind with their law against using or having expanding rounds.

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    Thanks. They do not specifically detail the type(s) of restricted ammunition but I would guess they might mean any explosive rounds, perhaps tracer rounds, and armor piercing rounds. When I first read your post the situation in New Jersey came to mild with their law against using or having expanding rounds.
    Actually it says
    A. For the purposes of this section, "restricted firearm ammunition" means the same as that term is defined in 18.2-308.3

So restricted ammo is:

18.2-308.3. States

"Restricted firearm ammunition" applies to bullets, projectiles or other types of ammunition that are: (i) coated with or contain, in whole or in part, polytetrafluorethylene or a similar product, (ii) commonly known as "KTW" bullets or "French Arcanes," or (iii) any cartridges containing bullets coated with a plastic substance with other than lead or lead alloy cores, jacketed bullets with other than lead or lead alloy cores, or cartridges of which the bullet itself is wholly comprised of a metal or metal alloy other than lead. This definition shall not be construed to include shotgun shells or solid plastic bullets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links