Virginia After Action Reports?

This is a discussion on Virginia After Action Reports? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Thought maybe one place to voice your impressions of the day....

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree766Likes

Thread: Virginia After Action Reports?

Thought maybe one place to voice your impressions of the day.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Fox news is reporting ZERO arrests according to the Richmond PD. So much for the media hype and Northam's hand wringing and rhetoric.

Good job, people.

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

It was packed. Hard to say how many, because buildings blocked views of it all. Probably 8-ish square city blocks were blocked off for foot traffic only, wrapping buildings on all sides with a wall of people, plus the Capital grounds.
    @SouthernBoyVA and I never made it into the fenced area after visiting our legislators because there were so many people it was nearly impossible to walk. But looking in from the perimeter it was packed too.

Overall a very well behaved crowd, including a few well behaved clowns. Everyone was very polite, no shoving, and plenty of “excuse me” and “after you” comments as the herd jostled around.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    But did it make a difference...……….
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

Who was it that said, " I wasn't planning on going for a run today.....then the Game Wardens came out of nowhere".

It seemed to go really well. I just saw a news report that the police estimated 22,000 showed up. That is about 20 times what we have had at any previous lobby day. There were a great mix of folks, urbanites, rural people, tacticool types, all races, male and female. My team's office visits went well with both Democrats and Republicans. I heard of no incidents either through the grapevine or on the news.

The only concerning thing we found out about was that Senator Amanda Chase, one of our most pro-gun senators, got death threats, supposedly from Antifa, (but who knows?) that the police found to be credible. She and her assistant were both required to wear bullet resistant vests all day, even in the building, and they had three cops, two uniform and one plain clothes, following them around all day. I did not hear of any other situations like that.

The Democratic senators we talked to seemed to be open to what we were saying and willing to change aspects of bills that we objected to. People need to understand that lobbying is not about achieving some big victory every office visit. It is a frustrating process that is just a part of a larger effort. You just try to move the bar as much as you can and I think we did.

Overall, I'd say it was an epic and successful Lobby Day. All the tinfoil-hattery about "it's a trap" etc. did not happen and those people who predicted it should be taken with a grain of salt in the future, IMHO.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    It seemed to go really well. I just saw a news report that the police estimated 22,000 showed up. That is about 20 times what we have had at any previous lobby day. There were a great mix of folks, urbanites, rural people, tacticool types, all races, male and female. My team's office visits went well with both Democrats and Republicans. I heard of no incidents either through the grapevine or on the news.

The only concerning thing we found out about was that Senator Amanda Chase, one of our most pro-gun senators, got death threats, supposedly from Antifa, (but who knows?) that the police found to be credible. She and her assistant were both required to wear bullet resistant vests all day, even in the building, and they had three cops, two uniform and one plain clothes, following them around all day. I did not hear of any other situations like that.

The Democratic senators we talked to seemed to be open to what we were saying and willing to change aspects of bills that we objected to. People need to understand that lobbying is not about achieving some big victory every office visit. It is a frustrating process that is just a part of a larger effort. You just try to move the bar as much as you can and I think we did.

Overall, I'd say it was an epic and successful Lobby Day.
    I really need to "like" this post more than once! Excellent job!

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    My thoughts are this. Looks like the gun rights folks composed themselves quite well.
    This could have gone left real quick.
    Let's see if people of VA can keep the pressure up or was this just so exhausting.
    Any predictions on how this will affect the laws being proposed?
    Sounds like some are calling it a victory if the proposed legislation is just watered down some to make it more palatable so both sides can save face.
    What I am taking away from this is that those of us in other states, need to be very vigilant.
    Do not trust your states Republican party to do the right thing.
    Republican and traditional conservative are two different animals.
    I am going to make sure I know who I am voting for and try to stop RINOS from making it on the ballot.
    Bloomberg has his sights and billions set on Texas next. We cannot let it get a foothold here.
    Let us all use VA as a cautionary tale. Keep the genie in the bottle, because once he is released it is hard to go back.
    I am afraid the people of Virginia will never get all their past gun rights back, some things will be tabled to placate them,but the only way
    that they will get their old rights back will be if they can vote them out of office or recall them.

An attempt to intimidate, perhaps?

Lead Moderator
    A seamless and uneventful event. Jan Morgan, a friend of mine here from Arkansas spoke at the rally and did a live cast most of the time. I've seen estimates as high as 100,000 in attendance all over the city. We'll never know the real number I'm sure.

And the fact that no one was harmed is proof that prayer works!
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

@KILTED COWBOY : I think we will keep up the pressure. I think the proof of that is the consistency of the pressure we have seen so far. Look at the 2A Sanctuary movement. That started right after the election in November. We now have 91 counties, (VA only has 95 counties total) 15 cities and 30 towns as sanctuaries. Every one of those resolutions took at least dozens of people showing up for council meetings, sometimes multiple council meetings, but more often it was hundreds of people and in a couple of cases over a thousand. The VCDL has plans to pack committee meetings for the rest of the session, as well as doing email campaigns and other events.

How effective will it be? I would say somewhat. We are going to get some bad new laws. But I think we will be able to keep VA short of becoming at NY, NJ or CA (no offense to people who are from those states, but you know what I mean). Given the outcome of the election, that is what we can hope for.

What may be a bigger benefit to all this is I hope this has woken up gun owners across the country. I hope people learned that:
    • You can't take your gun rights for granted.
    • There is no state that cannot flip to anti-gun. There are lessons to be learned from VA that go way beyond the simplistic explanations of "gun owners didn't show up to vote" that people need to learn. This is a new political ballgame. Like an ambush, attacks on a state can happen fast and hard and you need a lot of (political) SA to see them coming. The left is getting good at this. We need to get better and we are behind.
    • Street-level activism can make a difference. Hopefully other states will put forth this kind of effort before their elections and not after.
    • The states are the battlegrounds now, but we see these same tactics at the federal level and we need to step up against that.

I also hope this will have a positive effect on the next VA elections in 2021.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Lead Moderator
    You are exactly right jmf552.

Good job.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    A seamless and uneventful event. Jan Morgan a friend of mine here from Arkansas spoke at the rally and did a live cast most of the time. I've seen estimates as high as 100,000 in attendance all over the city. We'll never know the real number I'm sure.

And the fact that no one was harmed is proof that prayer works!
    Need to keep that prayer going, because I fear this is not over by a long shot.
    Does anyone trust Northam and the legislature to do the right thing?
    They believe they are doing the right thing. After all they were voted in by the people to do all this and now a couple of million cry babies are complaining! You know that is what they are thinking.
    I fear that they just let the lobbyist hear what they thought they needed to tell them today.
    Once the crowds have gone home, they will then get back to dismantling the 2nd amendment.
    Now we need to see what happens next. All these sanctuary counties who have pledged to not obey unconstitutional laws will be the next bulwark.
    Will Northam send in the National Guard and LE to force compliance?
    Then we are starting all over again, begging people to not resort to violence. At that point civil disobedience will be the only recourse available
    HotGuns, PPS1980, airslot and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    It was packed. Hard to say how many, because buildings blocked views of it all. Probably 8-ish square city blocks were blocked off for foot traffic only, wrapping buildings on all sides with a wall of people, plus the Capital grounds.
    @SouthernBoyVA and I never made it into the fenced area after visiting our legislators because there were so many people it was nearly impossible to walk. But looking in from the perimeter it was packed too.

Overall a very well behaved crowd, including a few well behaved clowns. Everyone was very polite, no shoving, and plenty of “excuse me” and “after you” comments as the herd jostled around.
    You guys just don't know how to live up to a good emergency when you see one.
    graydude, airslot and Frodebro like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    I just got back to my home in the Peoples Republic of North Virginia. Some of my observations.

Head count may never be accurately approximated. The cowards in the statehouse put a fence around it (who knew, the Democrats DO like walls!) and would not allow anyone carrying anything harsher than a small pocket knife in its boundaries. The VCDL asked for 10,000 volunteers to "take one for the team" and go in unarmed. I'd say they did well! And for every one inside the fence, my own guesstimate is that there were at least three outside. Helicopters were flying over, so we may one day see aerial photographs of the crowds.

There was an air almost Woodstock-like. Everyone smiled at each other, and guys in full tactical gear shared jokes with guys like me, who came disguised as an ordinary American citizen. And it was CLEAN. People were picking up trash and properly disposing of it. Even the porta-potties were clean and well maintained (my buddy remarked, "Of course, we're shooters - we aim!).

There were women, kids, and people of all races. I happened upon a black man wearing a "Guns Save Lives" sticker (they were being handed out by GOA) and joked, "Hey, you know that brands you as a white supremacist, don't you?" He laughed, then pulled back his hood and revealed he was wearing a Trump 2020 hat. "I've gone completely to the other side," he joked. We fist-bumped.

There were terrific signs in evidence. So was free enterprise, as t-shirts, flags, hats, pins, and stickers were all available for purchase. The number of pro-Trump available was staggering. Everyone was polite; but we also knew we had a purpose: To show our displeasure at having our Constitution attacked. Open carry was evident (Virginia is still an open carry state), and some people had some pretty impressive arms. I'm more low-key, and since I have a CHP, kept mine out of sight. I can imagine the legislatures cowering behind their castle walls quaking in their shoes. One sign I saw read, "King George Didn't Listen, Either." Another was the quote from Japanese admiral Yamamoto following Pearl Harbor, "I fear we have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Most likely the legislature will continue to move ahead, blindly ignoring what was in evidence today. My quote for this is, "Today was the soap box. Tomorrow is the jury box. In November comes the ballot box!"
    Risasi, PPS1980, airslot and 21 others like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Need to keep that prayer going, because I fear this is not over by a long shot.
    Does anyone trust Northam and the legislature to do the right thing?
    They believe they are doing the right thing. After all they were voted in by the people to do all this and now a couple of million cry babies are complaining! You know that is what they are thinking.
    Yes, that is undoubtedly true. Of course, it's a lie, just like all the rest they spew.

If you go back and look at the "issues" these fascists based their campaigns on, gun control was far down the list. It was all medical coverage, education, the elderly, and the usual rot. Not a single one of them ran on "we're going to grab your guns the minutes we take office." Yet that's what they have ALL done.

Bloomberg's money is the dirtiest.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links