Just Came back from the gun store for Ammo in CA

This is a discussion on Just Came back from the gun store for Ammo in CA within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, I had gone to the local gun store and ordered some ammo for my 12 gauge that was not in stock, which I had ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Just Came back from the gun store for Ammo in CA

Well, I had gone to the local gun store and ordered some ammo for my 12 gauge that was not in stock, which I had to pay for in advance. The store called me my order was in now almost a week and half later; so I go in to pick up the order. It has been about three years since the last time I have purchased ammo since I buy enough I did not have to go into town often when I lived in the desert. Well, we have to run a back ground check on you so give us your driver's license. OK, that's new but no problem. Oh, your license doesn't have the new official CA stamp on it despite being valid. Do you have your passport or a copy of your birth certificate on you? NO, why? Well without them you can't prove you are an American Citizen under the current California gun laws valid to buy ammunition the clerk tells me. You will have to bring in either your passport or a birth certificate before you can pick up your ammo.

Welcome to the brave new world!

And a lot of people are being denied due to system error as well

Welcome to CA ....
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

Exit, stage right.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ugh! I left there in 1979 and even then I considered it doomed. I won't travel to CA, OR or WA even though we have family in all three. I don't even consider them part of the US anymore as I have more freedom in foreign countries than those leftist dictatorships.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Bears View Post
    Well, I had gone to the local gun store and ordered some ammo for my 12 gauge that was not in stock, which I had to pay for in advance. The store called me my order was in now almost a week and half later; so I go in to pick up the order. It has been about three years since the last time I have purchased ammo since I buy enough I did not have to go into town often when I lived in the desert. Well, we have to run a back ground check on you so give us your driver's license. OK, that's new but no problem. Oh, your license doesn't have the new official CA stamp on it despite being valid. Do you have your passport or a copy of your birth certificate on you? NO, why? Well without them you can't prove you are an American Citizen under the current California gun laws valid to buy ammunition the clerk tells me. You will have to bring in either your passport or a birth certificate before you can pick up your ammo.

Welcome to the brave new world!
    Go to Nevada and stock up.

Distinguished Member Array ETXhiker's Avatar
    I bet if you had been there to vote, it would have been no problem.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    Go to Nevada and stock up.
    There is some risk in doing that.
    https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ca...ada-gun-shows/
    Someone on this forum also said they are starting to check ID in the Oregon border towns to make sure your not a CA resident although I don't know how that can be legal to snope for another state?

All I got is Reload , Other than that, "Nothing" But move ; )
    H/D
    airslot and ETXhiker like this.
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Senior Moderator
    Is the CA stamp the Real ID?
    RETSUPT99 and BigJon10125 like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Holy cow that is simply ridiculous.

A serious question, how can you fix things when they get that bad?
    surefire7 and airslot like this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

So now California is demanding the so-called REAL ID to purchase ammo, that is not what the program is supposed to do. My reading comprehension may be a bit off but I see no requirement for REAL ID for buying ammo.

Secure driver's licenses and identification documents are a vital component of our national security framework. The REAL ID Act, passed by Congress in 2005, enacted the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for license issuance and production and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for certain purposes driver’s licenses and identification cards from states not meeting the Act’s minimum standards. The purposes covered by the Act are: accessing Federal facilities, entering nuclear power plants, and, no sooner than 2016, boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft.
    https://www.dhs.gov/real-id
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

Well I'm glad they would special order for you. None of the LGS's around me are willing to do that. Not as long as they have ammo on there shelf! In the past I could order small sample packs of match grade ammo to test and then order case quantities of ammo from that same lot number right to my door. No one close to me handles Match grade ammo. I'm still trying to figuer out how to get test samples.

If I were going to stay in CA it might be worth becomming a Match grade ammo dealer! the nearest Eley dealer is north of Sacramento, or 190 miles north of me! DR

If I havent worked it out by then, In March I'll be in AZ and will have the samples sent to a friends house there. I just can't take the back into CA.

Lol you need more identification and proof that you're a citizen to buy ammo than you do to vote in CA... OP I'd buy the ammo and mail it to you no problem.
    Last edited by APX-9M; January 26th, 2020 at 02:47 AM.

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Ugh! I left there in 1979 and even then I considered it doomed. I won't travel to CA, OR or WA even though we have family in all three. I don't even consider them part of the US anymore as I have more freedom in foreign countries than those leftist dictatorships.
    It's a coastal thing, I think. The East Coast has gotten as bad as the West.
    forester58 and airslot like this.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Maybe you should claim to be an illegal alien. They seem to have plenty of ammo!
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will just bring you down to their level - and then beat you with experience." George Carlin

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links