VA State Police clear pro-gun people from legislative committee room

This is a discussion on VA State Police clear pro-gun people from legislative committee room within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Today, a there was committee hearing on Virginia HB 961, which is the current iteration of an "assault firearms" ban/mag limit law. The committee room ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree208Likes

Thread: VA State Police clear pro-gun people from legislative committee room

Today, a there was committee hearing on Virginia HB 961, which is the current iteration of an "assault firearms" ban/mag limit law. The committee room was packed with pro-gun people led by the VCDL. When the bill was passed by the committee a couple of people in the gallery got a bit vocal, although it fell short of an actual disruption. VA State Police officers immediately told everyone in the gallery that they had 30 seconds to clear the room or they would be arrested for trespassing. No attendees got to hear the discussion of the remaining gun control bill that the committee discussed.

VCDL President Phil Van Cleave put out a video about the incident, which I think is one of the best bits of communication he has done in a while. Both videos are below, but I first wanted to note a couple of interesting things about this:
    • The VSP does not have primary jurisdiction in the Capitol complex. The Capitol Police have primary jurisdiction, shared concurrently with the Richmond City Police. The VSP generally has to be specially ordered into to assist the Capitol police and generally they are supposed to be backup.
    • The VSP has generally been the governor's butt-boys, while the Capitol Police have taken a pretty neutral stance on gun restrictions. Their chief, Col. Pike, said publicly he did not think the restrictions on carry in the Capitol were necessary and that they have never had a problem with it, which I thought was pretty gutsy in the current political climate.
    • Citizens being in the Capitol can never be trespassing. It is "the people's house." Individuals could be charged with creating a disturbance, but telling everyone to clear the room at peril of being charged with trespassing was not within the law.

Make no mistake, the state where a good portion of our liberty began is becoming a police state. Coming soon to a state you live in.

Video #1
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Video #2

Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

So the legislation has their agenda and will allow no dissension.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Shameful! That's not "Law Enforcement" but arbitrary use of threat for dissenters. 2A rights are the civil rights issue of our time.
    Still Clingin'

Welcome to NEW JERSEY...………...learn a lesson from us or walk in our shoes.
    CWOUSCG, DZUS and Redbert31 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    The governor is just living up to his promises.
    airslot, Rotorflyr and Redbert31 like this.

Shows what their peaceful assembly meant...…….omo.
    Redbert31 likes this.

Why did nobody sit silently in protest? That was a perfect opportunity for a legal stand.
    G-man*, OldChap, bklynboy and 3 others like this.
    Psalm 144:1

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    Got to stand up to the nazis and their jackbooted brown shirt thugs.
    Trespassing in the people’s house.
    Will there be a Kristallnach in the near future when they come for the guns?

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Got to stand up to the nazis and their jackbooted brown shirt thugs.
    Trespassing in the people’s house.
    Will there be a Kristallnach in the near future when they come for the guns?
    I would expect so if a few police can run off a few hundred people....
    CWOUSCG, OldChap, dp1911 and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    What is this? You mean to tell me police will carry out illegal orders? How is that possible?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Nmuskier View Post
    Why did nobody sit silently in protest? That was a perfect opportunity for a legal stand.
    I can only offer my opinion. As Phil alluded to in the video, the VCDL is very clear on the purpose of its actions and not allowing the other side force us into situations. The purpose of the meeting was to lobby and give public input to the new laws. It was not to protest. We can protest, and we will protest, but when we do it will be intentional. We will call that tune. I think it was wise not to get let the other side make us play their game. I have no doubt that what you suggest is what they were hoping for. It also gives me a clue as to why it was the VSP doing it. I don't think the Capitol Police would have agreed to play along with the other side.

If people had protested there, they would have been dragged out and the media would have totally misreported it. They would have said it was us that caused the problem and the police had to solve it. As it is, we have video of police overstepping their authority and the VCDL being the good guys. It is a tough balance, but I think the people there did the right thing. Next time will be different.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    I understand the whole Ghandi thing.
    But I think y’all are way past that.
    I think these politicians are emboldened when their opposition just walks away.
    I know I am talking smack all the way here in Texas.
    I am sure we will have our come to Jesus moment sooner or later.
    I am just so damn mad
    Henry9008, G-man*, BamaT and 10 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I can only offer my opinion. As Phil alluded to in the video, the VCDL is very clear on the purpose of its actions and not allowing the other side force us into situations. The purpose of the meeting was to lobby and give public input to the new laws. It was not to protest. We can protest, and we will protest, but when we do it will be intentional. We will call that tune. I think it was wise not to get let the other side make us play their game. I have no doubt that what you suggest is what they were hoping for. It also gives me a clue as to why it was the VSP doing it. I don't think the Capitol Police would have agreed to play along with the other side.

If people had protested there, they would have been dragged out and the media would have totally misreported it. They would have said it was us that caused the problem and the police had to solve it. As it is, we have video of police overstepping their authority and the VCDL being the good guys. It is a tough balance, but I think the people there did the right thing. Next time will be different.
    Well, all it takes is one guy or gall to hold out and be willing,

"You'll need to follow those folks out or you'll be arrested for trespassing, Sir."

"Hmmm, I can afford the arrest. How shall we proceed?"

Gun rights may come down to need civil disobedience. Who will show us a way?
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

This is communism folks. It has taken root in VA. When the state government is full of rats, could be time to send in a bunch of cats.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links