Proud And Glad I Live In The County I Do

This is a discussion on Proud And Glad I Live In The County I Do within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The County Commissioner, Coweta County Georgia, brought this up in a recent meeting. (If a box pops up asking to subscribe, X it out and ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By 71yancy
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 2 Post By Novarider
  • 1 Post By G26Raven
  • 2 Post By 71yancy
  • 1 Post By Workaholic
  • 1 Post By OldChap
  • 1 Post By 71yancy
  • 1 Post By high pockets

Thread: Proud And Glad I Live In The County I Do

The County Commissioner, Coweta County Georgia, brought this up in a recent meeting. (If a box pops up asking to subscribe, X it out and go back in. It should work)

Naturally the few Dems had to try proposing their own idiot Bill but it has ZERO chance with the current commissioners and voters in this county. I don't even know how they got voted in to begin with based on the voting population base.

https://times-herald.com/news/2020/0...oom-only-crowd
    dp1911 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 71yancy View Post
    The County Commissioner, Coweta County Georgia, brought this up in a recent meeting. (If a box pops up asking to subscribe, X it out and go back in. It should work)

https://times-herald.com/news/2020/0...oom-only-crowd
    Can't get past the log in requested.
    OD* likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

^^^Same here.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Came up on mine with no issue

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    I got the pop-up too but after closing the page and opening the link again I was able to view it. Here is the full article text.

Coweta’s leaders affirmed their commitment to Second Amendment rights before a standing-room-only crowd at Tuesday night’s Coweta County Board of Commissioners meeting.

A proclamation was added to the agenda by Commissioner Bob Blackburn and passed without opposition.

A Facebook event had been created for the meeting, and the crowd of supporters packed the commission chambers and spilled out into the lobby at the meeting, though only seven people spoke. There were no comments in opposition.

The proclamation doesn’t use the words “Second Amendment Sanctuary,” as such proclamations or resolutions are often called, but does state that the board "wishes to express opposition to any law that would unconstitutionally restrict the rights of the citizens of Coweta County to bear arms under the Second Amendment… vows to vigilantly protect the freedoms and rights guaranteed by the Constitution” and “encourages all citizens of Coweta County to support and defend their right to keep and bear arms.”
    An early draft of the Coweta resolution mentioned Georgia Senate Bill 281, which would ban magazines over 10 rounds, require gun dealers to lock up guns at closing time, and require gun show dealers to perform background checks. It would also ban "automatic and semi-automatic weapons,” though the bill defines them as the same thing, using the state’s definition for “machine gun.”

The bill is sponsored by four Democrats and in a strong gun-rights state such as Georgia, the chances of it becoming law are essentially zero.

So why the need for the proclamation?

“It’s just an affirmation of our staunch support for the Second Amendment,” said Blackburn.

Blackburn said he thinks there are already sufficient gun laws in place.

“We just need enforcement of the ones that are on the books already," he said.

Blackburn added that the commission’s support is for the lawful use of guns.

“I do not support the unlawful use of any weapon for any reason whatsoever,” he said.

In the Printz v. United States case, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the federal government couldn’t compel local law enforcement to carry out federal law, according to www.oyez.org .

There is a small group of sheriffs around the country who wouldn’t enforce a federal regulation they felt was unconstitutional, Frost said. But there is a much larger group that may refuse to enforce federal gun laws if their county government and citizens are on their side, he said, and that group continues to grow.

“Just because a higher authority passes a law doesn’t mean that law is just,” Frost said when speaking at the meeting. “How many of us would wish that our grandparents or great-grandparents had refused to enforce laws on segregation back in the day? How many people who were police officers during segregation might have wished that they had had the courage to refuse to enforce those laws?”
    Edited and quoted to make it less likely to attract attention from copyright attorneys
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; February 9th, 2020 at 09:44 AM. Reason: Copyright Laws
    G26Raven and airslot like this.

Thanks, Novarider.
    airslot likes this.
    You are your own first responder.

I like this part also. The current fee is for a 5 year license.

During the discussion on the proclamation, Commissioner Rodney Brooks said he’d like to go forward and take some concrete action in support of the right to keep and bear arms. He suggested lowering the current $76 cost for a Georgia Weapons Carry License, which is required to carry a handgun in public.

Other rights, such as freedom of speech and freedom of religion, don’t carry a financial cost.

“My question is – is it a constitutional right if you have to pay money for it?” Brooks asked. “We have so many counties making these proclamations but nobody is doing anything about it. I’d like for this board to absolutely do something about it."

Brooks said he would like to instruct county staff to look into the county’s part of the fees and for state legislators to reconsider state fees.
    airslot and OldVet like this.

Well, I'm glad to see this happening. It's sad, that in today's day and age, such affirmations have to be spelled out and put into county law. However, with the current state of politics, it's better to get it out there now,to hopefully avoid the frustrations that Virginia is going through currently.
    airslot likes this.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

@71yancy Do you mean THIS Coweta County??

Proud And Glad I Live In The County I Do-1.jpg

Irregardless, this is a great movie. Things must have taken a turn for the better after this happened.
    71yancy likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @71yancy Do you mean THIS Coweta County??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	313464

Irregardless, this is a great movie. Things must have taken a turn for the better after this happened.

Wow...I never saw this or knew about the movie. Maybe it was before I moved here which was in the latter part of '98.

I just looked the movie up and come to find out it was a true story and did in fact happen here in Coweta County where I live. The movie was made in '83 and the crime was back in the late '40's.

I expect everyone in the county would as soon the whole episode was forgotten. It is a great movie though. One of the few where Andy Griffith plays the bad guy. And of course, Johnny Cash.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    I expect everyone in the county would as soon the whole episode was forgotten. It is a great movie though. One of the few where Andy Griffith plays the bad guy. And of course, Johnny Cash.
    Here's the story about it in Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_in_Coweta_County

And the local newspaper a few years ago: https://times-herald.com/news/2018/0...70-years-later

I don't know how I missed reading about it.
    OldChap likes this.

VIP Member
    Ask anyone, it's either Trump's, or Bush's fault. The fact it happened in 1948 is immaterial.
    airslot likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Sponsored Links