Good news from Virginia

Good news from Virginia

This is a discussion on Good news from Virginia within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-...135453056.html A few leftists decided they wanted to hold on to their jobs more than they wanted to take away the AR's of their fellow ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: Good news from Virginia

Good news from Virginia

https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-...135453056.html

A few leftists decided they wanted to hold on to their jobs more than they wanted to take away the AR's of their fellow citizens, and voted accordingly... bob

Quote Originally Posted by beebee View Post
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/virginia-...135453056.html

A few leftists decided they wanted to hold on to their jobs more than they wanted to take away the AR's of their fellow citizens, and voted accordingly... bob
    That is great news!
    You are your own first responder.

Distinguished Member Array KILTED COWBOY's Avatar
    That is good news.
    Got to keep hitting them, no letting up on the pressure.
    The rabid gun grabbers who have truly drank the koolaid and are believers ,you will never change their minds.
    Need to work on the moderates, they do not want to lose their cushy political jobs and can be persuaded to be more reasonable.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    One step at a time. There are still other bad bills pending.

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    They actually listened?!? I'm genuinely surprised.
    airslot, OldChap, CWOUSCG and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    They actually listened?!? I'm genuinely surprised.
    Not all listened, but enough did. The strategy was to influence the edge of the anti-gun strongholds enough to sway a few votes, and that was all that was needed.

The worst of the lot has been pushed off for another year, but it will be back. Now we need to focus the counter-attack on the other bad bills.

This fight will never end.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

VIP Member
    Elections have consequences. Too many think their individual votes don't matter. They must be convinced otherwise and get ALL pro-2A voters to the polls.
    airslot, OldChap, Qtip and 1 others like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

There are two bills in particular that really scare me. One is SB 35. This bill flies in the face of Virginia's preemption law in that it allows locales to set their own controls regarding parks, public gatherings, and public buildings. The other is SB 70, the Universal Background Check bill. In order for this bill to work, a registry of all privately owned firearms would have to be created and periodic inventory checks would have to be conducted. This is VERY dangerous to liberty and would make future attempts at confiscation much easier.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    There are two bills in particular that really scare me. One is SB 35. This bill flies in the face of Virginia's preemption law in that it allows locales to set their own controls regarding parks, public gatherings, and public buildings. The other is SB 70, the Universal Background Check bill. In order for this bill to work, a registry of all privately owned firearms would have to be created and periodic inventory checks would have to be conducted. This is VERY dangerous to liberty and would make future attempts at confiscation much easier.
    I don't blame you for being very concerned. I have absolutely no confidence that any lower court, or the Supreme Court, will overturn such laws.
    Merovius, OldVet, Havok and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallsrider View Post
    I don't blame you for being very concerned. I have absolutely no confidence that any lower court, or the Supreme Court, will overturn such laws.
    Indeed, the courts, and the so called learned justices who populate them, often turn out to be the biggest obstacles to liberty, reason, and upholding the constitution.
    In light and darkness alike,
    I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Looks like they did pass three though.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...y-to-reject-it
    Virginia assault weapon ban fails after moderate Democrats break with party to reject it
    by Carlin Becker
    | February 17, 2020 10:09 AM

Print this article
    00:21
    00:55

Email Address
    Virginia's effort to ban the sale of assault weapons was rejected by state lawmakers, including four Democrats who joined Republicans in voting down the measure.

Senators voted 10-5 in a committee on Monday to shelf the bill, which aimed to prohibit the sale of certain semiautomatic firearms and the possession of magazines that hold more than 12 rounds for a year so that the state crime commission can study the issue. Four moderate Democrats broke party lines to join Republicans in voting against the legislation.

The rejection comes as a loss to Gov. Ralph Northam, who had championed the bill and has made reducing gun violence in the state a top priority. As part of a broad package of gun control measures, Senate Democrats passed three gun control bills that would restrict monthly gun purchases, expand background checks on firearms, and allow localities to ban guns in designated areas in January.

Virginia has thus become a heated epicenter of the nation's debate over guns. While Northam's calls have received support from those looking to end gun violence, gun rights activists have accused him of trying to infringe upon their Second Amendment rights. Tens of thousands marched in Richmond last month to protest the bevy of legislation, and more than 80 Virginia counties have declared themselves "Second Amendment sanctuaries."
    The Old Anglo likes this.
    MACV Advisory Team 75, HQ'd in My Tho at the "Seminary", 1967-1969

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    Senator Jennifer Boysko (D-33), voted for the gun ban. A few weeks ago, she lied to her constituents at a town hall meeting in Leesburg, where she told them she would NOT vote for an "assault weapons ban." She has to go.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    That is good news.
    Got to keep hitting them, no letting up on the pressure.
    The rabid gun grabbers who have truly drank the koolaid and are believers ,you will never change their minds.
    Need to work on the moderates, they do not want to lose their cushy political jobs and can be persuaded to be more reasonable.
    I like that word, and in truth it would be nice if common sense rules the day. BUT...if it doesn't...

Name:  bb5fbb48dab43269cae2b0f835656594.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  31.4 KB

The other is SB 70, the Universal Background Check bill. In order for this bill to work, a registry of all privately owned firearms would have to be created and periodic inventory checks would have to be conducted. This is VERY dangerous to liberty and would make future attempts at confiscation much easier.
    @SouthernBoyVA Brother, you and I know that inventories are highly dependent on eyes-on inspections. Those who choose to attempt to make such personal inspections are facing a VERY dangerous prospect. I expect the salary and benefits bill alone might bankrupt the state.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by OldChap View Post
    @SouthernBoyVA Brother, you and I know that inventories are highly dependent on eyes-on inspections. Those who choose to attempt to make such personal inspections are facing a VERY dangerous prospect. I expect the salary and benefits bill alone might bankrupt the state.
    They would have to occur unannounced at random times. The idea of this really irks me. But without periodic spot check inventory updates, the "authorities" wouldn't have any idea of what you own and what you have sold, given away, or traded since the initial registration took place.

[knock, knock]
    Wife: "Honey there's a few men who want to talk to you."
    You: "Who are they?"
    Wife: "I don't know but, wait, you just can't come into our house like this."
    Them: "Sorry ma'am, we have an order to do a spot inventory check of your firearms."
    You: "What the hell! Get out of my house."
    Them: [drawing guns] "Backup buddy. You and your wife have to leave the house while we check."

I'll leave out the rest in deference to the moderators and my future posting on this site. Suffice it to say that it gets a skosh heated.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; February 17th, 2020 at 01:58 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

I am planning on voting for Sanders in the Virginia Democratic primary in a couple of weeks. I would prefer to see him face Trump instead of Bloomberg so Trump can win and continue to nominate originalist judges. I do not trust the Virginia Dems either
    craze likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links