I wish this were fake news, but he really did this

This is a discussion on I wish this were fake news, but he really did this within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, matters seem to be escalating here in Virginia. And this time, it doesn't play well for the gun rights side. https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-home/2219266/ It took 20.000 ...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree395Likes

Thread: I wish this were fake news, but he really did this

Well, matters seem to be escalating here in Virginia. And this time, it doesn't play well for the gun rights side.
    https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...-home/2219266/

It took 20.000 plus peaceful citizens gathering in Richmond to create some measure of good will with the public, to show the media coverage to be politically biased nonsense, and to make all of the Democratic alarmist reactions look unfounded. It took one imbecile with a tactical shotgun to undo all of that. What, if anything, was this guy thinking? Did he seriously believe for an instant that this stunt would work?

Tactical blunders like this, which play right into the opposition's hands, will lose this fight if we aren't careful. Whatever you or I may believe concerning this man's rights both to bear arms in public and to protest on public land, the optics on this go one way, and one way only - This was an act of intimidation; Armed intimidation. That's the way the undecideds and the folks with no skin in this game are going to look at it. Our cause doesn't need "help" from people like this, taking actions like this. This was foolishness, and he's lucky the laws are technically on his side. But just because an action is legal doesn't make it right or wise.
    scottync, msgt/ret, mkh and 5 others like this.
    In light and darkness alike,
    I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

VIP Member
    We had an idiot a few years ago who protested in front of the home of the Texas house speaker Bonnen who is a typical swamp rat.
    But anyway it finished off any chance of having Constitutional Carry brought to the floor that session.
    On the other hand, the gun grabbers get to intimidate the politicians and private citizens at will and no one bats an eye, it is actually encouraged.
    But let a few Gun Rights folks do the same and all hell breaks loose.

1A says peacefully protest, doesn't say peacefully protest only while un-armed.
    Last edited by OldVet; February 24th, 2020 at 03:53 PM.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Array Well_Regulated's Avatar
    This is a good example of how we aren't judged by our intentions, but judged by our actions.

In some communities, the actions taken by Mr. Howard might be unlawful, as "brandishing a firearm." I wonder if he researched the community before he decided to take his stance.

It is apparent by the videos and words of delegate Levine, that he is deathly afraid of anything that goes "bang." Standing outside his house with not one, but two guns, loaded or unloaded (the article does not say), was a poor choice of means to demonstrate one's point. And yes, it serves only to further Mr. Levine's resolve. What was his final quote in the article? ""If it's not illegal, I'm going to be damned sure by next year it is illegal."

Good grief.
    You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

I didn't read it but, I will play non the less. The second amendment is not a "cause", its a right and a right not granted by some Government body.
    There are no "undecideds" as you put it. People believe in our rights identified in the Constitution or do not and they think they are "living", i.e. changeable.

If one person can "undo" what 20,000 people supposedly accomplished then nothing was ever accomplished by that 20,000 in the first place. It was just a "feel good"moment.

Support like this is not needed. Just proves that we can be our own worst enemies.

Our rights are not predicated by what others do or donít do in accordance to lawful or lawless actions.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by G-man* View Post
    Our rights are not predicated by what others do or donít do in accordance to lawful or lawless actions.
    Exactly. Better said than I.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    1A says peacefully protest, doesn't peacefully protest only while un-armed.
    I don't think anyone should deny he had a 1A right to protest with a shotgun. The issue is, did he help the cause? I would say he did not, making him part of the problem, not the solution.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Valid points made by all.

Good for him. He should have got more people to join him.
    sgb likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

I think his legal issue is if it was deemed a threat or coercion. If the knucklehead just decided to show up with a sign and a gun on public property, he would be OK legally (as far as I know). He evidently made statement ahead of time.

I wonder if I should send him my lawyer's info LOL.

Folks: always consult a civil right defense lawyer before attempting stuff as I always say.
    sgb and wdbailey like this.

Sometimes actions speak louder than words. If your pen is mightier than your sword, you need a better sword.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

*Rant on*
    this this thread is especially interesting to me considering recent events. The Virginia government has shown they donít care about gun owners or their protests. They didnít pass all of the anti gun bills you say? No, but they passed some, and there is nothing stopping them from passing more in the future. If Trump employed this same strategy people would call it good negotiating skills. People do things like go to his house, and put his address on the internet because what some people say is the ďrightĒ way of doing things has shown to be an epic failure. If youíre not having success, maybe youíre the one who is doing things wrong. When Chris Mcnutt went to Dennis Bonnens house, people were posting about how itís the wrong way to do things. It wasnít. It was exactly what we needed. Guess who isnít on the ballot this time around?
    Rant off... for now*.
    sgb likes this.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    I don't think anyone should deny he had a 1A right to protest with a shotgun. The issue is, did he help the cause? I would say he did not, making him part of the problem, not the solution.
    At this point, do we really believe that anything could hurt or help?

If our position is that as long as everyone is being a good boy or girl with guns, then we are ok, then we have lost anyway. If common logic and constitutional values are not enough, then nothing can help anyway, so what could it hurt?

From the picture, it looks like this individual was on a public road, not private land.

Maybe, these politicians should understand that there are real consequences for their unlawful actions.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links