Court orders New Mexico DGF release personal info on successful big game applicants

Court orders New Mexico DGF release personal info on successful big game applicants

This is a discussion on Court orders New Mexico DGF release personal info on successful big game applicants within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I realize that some here might think this is a "hunting only" issue, but I think not. A First Judicial Court Judge has ordered the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Court orders New Mexico DGF release personal info on successful big game applicants

I realize that some here might think this is a "hunting only" issue, but I think not. A First Judicial Court Judge has ordered the New Mexico Dept of Game and Fish to turn over the names and addresses of all successful big game applicants from 2015 through 2019.

Call me paranoid (many have called me worse) but I see this as a back door to finding out who owns weapons in that state. Yes, I realize that some of these people are probably bow hunters only. Yes. maybe the guy who asked only wants it for marketing purposes. But as a wise older friend of mine told me in my youth, "Don't trust nobody." I don't think this is good at all. I think this is simply a ploy to figure out who owns guns.

I apologize for the small print, but this is what the person who posted it received. If you click on the link, it's bigger and a bit more readable.

Court orders New Mexico DGF release personal info on successful big game applicants-new-mexico.jpg
    OD* and msgt/ret like this.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

I don't know. While one may construe it as an attempt to see who owns guns, a more accurate number could be obtained by the number of big-game hunting licenses issued. And does the number of successful hunters differentiate between gun hunters and bow hunters?

Regardless, I see giving out the names and addresses of anyone without just cause as an obvious violation of personal privacy--the judge erred, as usual.
    G26Raven, OD*, msgt/ret and 7 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

OldVet, I don't think this is the whole story. Yes, it would be more accurate to see who owns hunting licenses, and maybe he asked for that first but couldn't get it? This was NOT the number of successful hunters. It was the number of hunters who successfully obtained a tag.
    OD* likes this.
    Mike Tyson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    OldVet, I don't think this is the whole story. Yes, it would be more accurate to see who owns hunting licenses, and maybe he asked for that first but couldn't get it? This was NOT the number of successful hunters. It was the number of hunters who successfully obtained a tag.
    I couldn't read the statement, too small. Still, not much of a way to find out who owns guns.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I couldn't read the statement, too small. Still, not much of a way to find out who owns guns.
    I don't know. I don't put anything past the anti-gunners.
    airslot and OD* like this.
    Mike Tyson

I would see it more of a PETA protest threat than an anti-gun threat, but that doesn't change the fact the judge is wrong.

Senior Moderator
    Hopefully a higher court will quash this idiocy.
    M1911A1, RETSUPT99, OD* and 4 others like this.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"If we suppose them sincere, we must pity their ignorance; if insincere, we must abhor the spirit of deception which it betrays." Alexander Hamilton

OldVet, I also believe that the vast majority of PETA people are also anti-gun. I don't know any PETA people personally, but every person I've met who was against hunting, was also against guns.
    Nmuskier, CavemanBob and OD* like this.
    Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with OldVet.
    It looks more like a social shaming of big game hunters.
    Either way it sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    I can't believe I am saying this but I agree with OldVet.
    It looks more like a social shaming of big game hunters.
    Either way it sucks.
    I can't believe it either. I have to try harder now.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    All that information to a single private individual, what's he want it for, no-one asked? Hell no, smells to high heaven.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

A person's right to know ends at another person's right to privacy.
    OD*, danco, sdprof and 3 others like this.

The down side of any Government Entity releasing Personal Information is huge and should not be tolerated. I'm sorry but I think we should demand ANY interaction by law abiding citizens with their Government should be confidential. With all of their Regulations they have the citizens forced to comply, the information they get should NOT be used for ANY profit motives. Whether it be by marketers, financiers or the Government itself.
    OD*, M1911A1 and G26Raven like this.

It may be taken to higher court, but the notice says the data is being released today. Horse, barn door.

But it's just wrong. Nobody has any reason to get that kind of information. Other than for some nefarious purpose.

If it was for some legitimate research, then anonymized data would suffice. How many from each zip code, what types and units ought to be enough granularity.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 229 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Time to Dox the judge...
    CrabbyOldGuy and M1911A1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links