NJ shuts down all gun sales

This is a discussion on NJ shuts down all gun sales within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; On Saturday March 21, 2020, Governor Phil Murphy announced he is putting New Jersey in lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus. Per Executive Order ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: NJ shuts down all gun sales

On Saturday March 21, 2020, Governor Phil Murphy announced he is putting New Jersey in lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus. Per Executive Order 107, he is ordering the residents of New Jersey to stay home, directing all non-essential retail businesses closed to the public. At this time, the order includes New Jersey Firearms State Licensed Dealers.

As a result, the New Jersey State Police NICS Unit is directing the vendor of the NICS Online Application (NICUSA) to turn off the NICS Online Services for submitting NICS transactions by eliminating the “Request Form” button, effective 9:00pm EST, Saturday, March 21, 2020. You will still have the ability to view the message board and the status of previously submitted transactions. This “Request Form” feature will remain off until further order by Governor Murphy. – NJ State Police NICS Portal

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...heck-shutdown/

I will bet some other governors are thinking: Wow! I didn't know it was that easy!
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    On Saturday March 21, 2020, Governor Phil Murphy announced he is putting New Jersey in lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus. Per Executive Order 107, he is ordering the residents of New Jersey to stay home, directing all non-essential retail businesses closed to the public.
    Maybe I'm just stupid but how can he do this legally? Does NJ have something in their state constitution (haven't bothered to read it) that allows this sort of thing by the governor? I am dumbfounded by this.
    Last edited by SouthernBoyVA; March 22nd, 2020 at 05:15 PM.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

VIP Member
    I don't know if this woman is in NJ but I'm sure that there are people like her in NJ and elsewhere. https://bearingarms.com/cam-e/2020/0...t-defenseless/
    ugh762x39 likes this.
    “It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Microwave radio technicians are fully deviated.
    FCC Radiotelephone and amateur radio licensed.
    Member SAF, GOA, NFOA, USCCA

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    Soooooooo what your really saying is that NJ is shutting down ALL non essential business and firearms retailers fall under that group.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

VIP Member
    I thought New Jersey shut down gun sales years ago...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Soooooooo what your really saying is that NJ is shutting down ALL non essential business and firearms retailers fall under that group.
    That, and to back it up, they have shut down NICS for NJ. So if you are a private FFL in NJ, you can't transact guns either. And NJ requires private sales to go through FFLs also, so basically no one can transact guns in the state.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    So NJ and DC are now both in the same boat when it comes to buying guns.
    msgt/ret and ugh762x39 like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoyVA View Post
    Maybe I'm just stupid but how can he do this legally? Does NJ have something in their state constitution (haven't bothered to read it) that allow this sort of thing by the governor? I am dumbfounded by this.
    Here's the insidious thing. They are pretending to not make it about guns. It is about shutting down non-essential retailers, including gun stores. But where I think they crossed the line was shutting down sales through NICS. That was not in the governor's order, BTW. It seems the NJSP added that little twist.
    rodgersfam1980 and ugh762x39 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    So NJ and DC are now both in the same boat when it comes to buying guns.
    Yeah, with different political tactics. The five remaining FFLs in DC could still do NICS transactions. They just don't do retail business.
    Mike1956 and ugh762x39 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit212 View Post
    Yes and that they shouldn't have the right to do so.
    ButtShot14 likes this.

Anyone still think all this stuff the .gov (Fed and State) is doing is for the safety and protection of the citizenry?
    Smitty901 and ugh762x39 like this.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

What other business transactions require NJ Gov't involvement similar to NICS? Have those also been shut down?
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

After Katrina, a lot of States passed Laws against confiscation of firearms during an implementation of a declared State of Emergency or Order of Evacuation. Along with that was included permission for Citizens to carry concealed firearms even if they did not possess the required permits. I haven’t heard mention of it but, I wonder if this situation qualifies?
    rodgersfam1980 likes this.
    "If you can do it, you damn well better be able to look at it!".....Matt Helm

N.J. is Nothing but a Gun Nazi State!. Watch..Confiscation will be next for Public Health or whatever they can make up!.
    ButtShot14 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ugh762x39 View Post
    After Katrina, a lot of States passed Laws against confiscation of firearms during an implementation of a declared State of Emergency or Order of Evacuation. Along with that was included permission for Citizens to carry concealed firearms even if they did not possess the required permits. I haven’t heard mention of it but, I wonder if this situation qualifies?
    First, this NJ thing isn't confiscation or prohibiting licensed carry, just a ban on sales. Second, the confiscations after Katrina weren't constitutional anyway, so if they don't care about the BOR, it's not like they care about the laws anyway. As I said on another thread, New Orleans has authorized, but not yet implemented, a ban on sales and transportation of guns and ammo, so they obviously don't care about the law passed after Katrina.

The new reality for government is anything goes, unless you can get a court to stop it, and sometimes not even then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links