CO: Background checks exceeding legal time limit

This is a discussion on CO: Background checks exceeding legal time limit within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In Colorado, if the background check isn't returned within three days, Colorado law allows the sale to proceed. Background checks in the state are taking ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By retired badge 1
  • 1 Post By Nmuskier

Thread: CO: Background checks exceeding legal time limit

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar

In Colorado, if the background check isn't returned within three days, Colorado law allows the sale to proceed.

Background checks in the state are taking four days due to the backlog and CBI is urging sellers to block the sale until results are returned.

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...virus-pandemic
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

Senior Member Array retired badge 1's Avatar
    Interesting. The duly-adopted law specifies that a transaction is deemed to be approved absent a disqualifying response within 3 days, but the government agency administering the process is applying pressure on dealers who rely on that agency for their livelihood to ignore the clear language of the law.

If I had only applied myself early in life and graduated from barber college I could probably understand all this nonsense. It would take 5 lawyers to explain it to me now, and all 5 would disagree with each other.
    NECCdude, airslot and wmhawth like this.

VIP Member
    Just texted my FFL. He says he's been getting checks back from TICS in about 10 minutes, although he did say he had one take 4 hours this past Friday.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post
    In Colorado, if the background check isn't returned within three days, Colorado law allows the sale to proceed.

Background checks in the state are taking four days due to the backlog and CBI is urging sellers to block the sale until results are returned.
    Isn't 3 days federal law? Colorado can "urge", but it is up to the FFL. One more reason to support your local gun shop.
    OD* likes this.
    Psalm 144:1

A buddy of mine here in AZ got a "Delayed" response a few days ago when going to pick up something online. It finally cleared today.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CavemanBob View Post

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...virus-pandemic
    I'm not sure about the federal law but I know it is codified in Colorado law. Colorado actually runs two checks, one through the CBI, the other through NICS.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

Sponsored Links