NICs will be suspended for a few days...

This is a discussion on NICs will be suspended for a few days... within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's an email that I just received. Most FFL's will get this. "Good Afternoon, As a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Thread: NICs will be suspended for a few days...

Lead Moderator

Here's an email that I just received. Most FFL's will get this.

"Good Afternoon,

As a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols, beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 27, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process. This means, when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review."

EDITED: they got the dates wrong. Heres an email I received shortly after this was posted.

"Good Afternoon,

Correction to the previous email. beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process.

Thanks,
    The NICS Business Unit "

For those of you that support background checks how do you like them now?
    OD*, Mike1956, ctr and 7 others like this.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

VIP Member
    Lots of advance notice...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Here's an email that I just received. Most FFL's will get this.

"Good Afternoon,

As a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols, beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 27, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process. This means, when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review."

For those of you that support background checks how do you like them now?
    "...given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review."

Wanna explain that in English?
    airslot, Hoganbeg and Bad Bob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Lead Moderator
    It'll be a delay status, meaning that you now have a waiting period of three days.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "...given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review."

Wanna explain that in English?
    I think it means transactions will be DELAYED immediately without checking. Ie no approvals this weekend.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Quote Originally Posted by ctr View Post
    I think it means transactions will be DELAYED immediately without checking. Ie no approvals this weekend.
    And what is a Brady transfer date? I've never had to wait more than a couple minutes with this 4473 garbage, so I am clueless on how it all works. (Yes, I'm clueless at times.)
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It'll be a delay status, meaning that you now have a waiting period of three days.
    Alrighty then. I guess it is true--He who hesitates loses.
    LimaCharlie and airslot like this.

Lead Moderator
    For those that don't know, even though I've explained it here many times if you get delayed NICS has 3 days to change the status.

IF they don't get back to you...(and most of the time they don't) you can receive your gun after 3 days from the date you sent it in.

Ive had a couple of incidences where they called 5 days later to deny a status and I informed them that the gun was already gone. They simply said..."OK" and that was the last I heard of that.
    OldVet, scottync, MMinSC and 5 others like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    I wonder how this action will effect those states where a state's CC card (i.e. Georgia Weapons License) is accepted at the time of sale?

Obviously I do not know the proper procedures, but every gun I have purchased went right through once my GWL was presented. Did the LGS still have to call it in? I had been under the impression the GWL eliminated the need for a NICS check.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Lead Moderator
    In many states, a valid Concealed Handgun Licenses, (CHL here in Arkansas) is an automatic exemption from NICS, but not all.

Some of the big box stores refuse to honor that as a matter of store policy and do it anyway because their managers have balls the size of piss-ants.
    ctr, Mike1956, MMinSC and 6 others like this.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

More backdoor gun control. Make no mistake the anti gunners are watching and paying attention to just how much a ... crisis... can be used.

Do I need another layer of tin foil on my hat? Maybe so but anti gunners in government past performance has made me very cynical. Quite frankly I'm thinking the Corona virus crisis as an opportunity to test trial balloons is a gun controller's wet dream.
    Unfortunately there are many gun owners who will still shop at Wal Mart even though they know Wal Mart partnered with Everytown for Gun Safety just because it is convenient and they can save a few bucks.

I thought the "check" itself was automated????

NICS sounds like a Hollyweird show. Unfortunately, its not.
    Denial is more than a river in Egypt, and projection doesn't only occur in movie theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nifty View Post
    I thought the "check" itself was automated????
    It should be an automatic "yes" unless otherwise no. Shall issue, so to speak.

VIP Member
    My local LGS is family owned. They will not transfer without approval. The BATF inspectors given them a hard time with the records if they do it.

How you like those background checks now?
    ShooterGranny and Bad Bob like this.
    I find supremely ironic that God in his wisdom and grace has given man freedom of choice bounded by 10 simple rules. Man in his finite wisdom has created millions of rules to limit freedom of choice and the personal responsibility of his fellow man.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links