Defensive Carry banner

Advantages and Disadvantages of Open Carry vs Concealed carry?

42K views 258 replies 113 participants last post by  woolecox 
#1 ·

What are the advantages and disadvantages of open carry vs concealed carry?

Do open carry laws unnecessarily complicate police interactions?

"We're trying as best we can as a law enforcement community to make it work so that citizens can express their Second Amendment rights," Brown said at a recent media event. “But it’s increasingly challenging when people have AR-15s slung over their shoulder and they’re in a crowd. We don’t know who the good guy is versus the bad guy when everyone starts shooting.” The War Between Police and the NRA: Open Carry Laws Make Cops' Jobs Virtually Impossible | Alternet
Even if we as individuals might never choose to open carry, should we be supportive of open carry laws ? Why? Why not?

See less See more
#2 ·
Personally in an urban environment I prefer concealed carry just to avoid a possible MWAG call or of some hoplophobe injuring themselves running away in sheer terror. I do believe if more people open carried more people may warm up to the idea that “Yes Virginia, people do carry guns”. As far as the police, as long as you do not appear to be a threat and remain calm there should be no reaction.

#4 ·
Advantages >> comfort, access, not worrying about printing...

Disadvantages >> 911 calls, nervous nellies, Leo encounters, obvious target when shtf...

Open carry would be a painful transition in my state....

#5 ·
Norm Stamper, a 34-year veteran police officer and former chief of the Seattle police department, says open carry can add an element of confusion to police work, hampering suspect IDs at crucial moments.

“The difficulty [of] distinguishing a law-abiding gun owner from one who is about to, or has committed, or is [in the act of] committing a violent crime is oftentimes impossible to determine” when multiple people on the scene are openly carrying weapons, Stamper told me. “Even the best, most intuitive, calmest, most professional police officers are not mind readers. Until somebody engages in some form of action, threatening or criminal in nature, the officer has no idea what that person's motive is.”

“Not a single one of these people carrying firearms out there in [Dallas] caught this guy in what he was doing,” Bob Gualtieri, of the Florida Sheriffs Association, told Reuters. “It drained law enforcement resources and subjected citizens to being unnecessarily taken into custody, and I think we should all be very grateful that nobody else got hurt.”

In numerous cases, the “good guy with a gun” theory pushed by the NRA and its adherents has failed to prove itself. Of the many mass shootings that occur in this country every year, it’s extremely rare that an armed citizen saves the day.

I do not see this as a war between Law Enforcement and NRA. And I understand, after Dallas tragedy during the Black Lives Matter protest, how open carry laws hinder the jobs of our Law Enforcement officers. Ironically every day I choose to carry, I pray, I recognize to myself that I am not carrying to save the day. I am carrying to protect my family and myself first and foremost. Personally I choose concealed. I do however recognize open carry without judgement and feel the more timid people or people with no understanding of open carry are exposed to it the less evil it will appear with time.

I have little patience for Political Correctness. Even less patience for those who wish to impose another amendment to our 2nd amendment.We have talked about these issues before here.

The problem with these valid points shared by our Law enforcement officers is the complete lack of honor today. Wars are fought without honor where terrorism is involved. Bad people committing bad acts with weapons have no honor. I can only speak for myself and hope the same is true for my children. If I were ever in a crowd & pulled to the side and detained by law enforcement, while carrying concealed or open, my personal utmost respect for Law Enforcement would result 99% in a positive outcome. I cannot say the same for a scenario where there is an active shooter & I have made the decision to bring out my defensive weapon in an attempt to take out the bad person to protect life. By fault of my own I admit while training I have never placed myself as falsely appearing to be the bad guy by Law Enforcement. I have always seen myself as appearing to only be a helpful person in the fight against a bad guy with law enforcement(15%) or law enforcement is not yet present(85%), in my scenarios of training. I now need some additional focus and training towards this.

If law enforcement were on stage I would not be looking to aid them unless the situation turned needing my action. If law enforcement were not on stage during a life threatening act my action may come into the act as needed taking everyone's safety into account. With this article, now I have much more to consider.

This should be a great discussion here.

#12 ·
In numerous cases, the “good guy with a gun” theory pushed by the NRA and its adherents has failed to prove itself. Of the many mass shootings that occur in this country every year, it’s extremely rare that an armed citizen saves the day.
Could this be because most, if not all, of those mass shootings occur in 'gun free' zones, where law abiding gun owners do not carry their weapons?

#10 ·

Even if we as individuals might never choose to open carry, should we be supportive of open carry laws ? Why? Why not?
It is very important that we must be supportive of any and all laws concerning our freedoms, especially these days when the government is trying to disarm the people. IMHO we have already given up too many rights.

#33 ·
It is very important that we must be supportive of any and all laws concerning our freedoms, especially these days when the government is trying to disarm the people. IMHO we have already given up too many rights.
Laws by definition have no concern for freedom. They are implemented for the expressed purpose of limiting liberty. The more we get rid of the better.

Reactions: Sarge65
#46 ·
if a person elects to ride a motorcycle without a helmet ( legal in some places), when does it become an issue? I would say that it likely becomes an issue at the onset of an collision or crash. There are inherent risks to many activities which can be examined on their merits no matter if [we] make it an issue or not. Open carry fosters its own set of unique risks which may not readily exist with concealed carry.. I disagree that its only an issue when we make it one. The issue of risk exists on it own and even when ignored.

#13 ·
I would like someone to name a single mass shooting where someone that was open carrying complicated matters. I think that is utter bull crap. I'm am open carry advocate but I think there are buttheads that take it to extremes. However, If Obama gets his way and turns America into a third world war zone like he is trying to do, open carrying an AR might become common place.

#15 ·
I own a retail business in NC. Our clientele spans the entire U.S. socio-economic spectrum as well as vacationers from around the world. I, my wife, and my staff are constantly in the public eye. That is why I choose CC over OC. As I have noted here before, we all CC all day-every day. Additionally, I pay for my staff's CCW training and they get paid time off to do so.

Every time (yes, every single time) someone comes into my store OCing, the other customers take notice and react according to their own beliefs. Those with an anti beliefs avoid the person OCing and some have come up to me or my staff telling us that there's a guy/gal over there with a gun! A few strike up a conversation with the person OCing, and most just seem to ignore them. The irony is that those who inform us of the gun have absolutely no idea that we are armed as well.:aargh4:

Those that OC have the right to do so in NC. Just know that everybody else takes note.

#81 ·
Just know that everybody else takes note.
My experience with OC is that NO ONE takes notice. Not once I have been avoided or had a manager or police called on me while OC'ing here in Texas, where until this year, was not legal. People are too self absorbed to notice anything happening right in front of them.

Reactions: Ksgunner
#22 ·
In Minnesota, we can either open carry or CC. Personally, I choose to CC, because I'm not going to advertise I'm armed. And like DaGunny stated, when you open carry, people take note, and it's not always a good thing.
If somebody wants to open carry, go for it. But they should use a retention holster at all times.

"The first of the two killings occurred on Nov. 25, 2011, after Smith encountered Tyler at the BP gas station at 1 Westover Hills Blvd. around 8 p.m., authorities said. Tyler, 48, a customer at the gas station, was wearing a gun in a holster, plainly visible, when Smith grabbed the weapon from Tyler during a struggle inside the store and shot Tyler in the chest after the victim chased Smith, authorities said. Early the following morning, Smith used Tyler's gun to kill Cosby, 32, in an attempted robbery on Edwards Avenue in the Oak Grove neighborhood, authorities said."

Entire article:
18-year-old gets 40 years for two S. Richmond murders - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Year-old-gets-years-for-two-s-richmond-murders

#18 ·
OC is not a problem in Ohio..........I don't do it....but it gets the antis all bent out of shape.

Reactions: gatorbait51
#23 ·
I think that the whole issue of OC being a positive or a peril greatly depends on exactly when the badguy becomes aware of the OC citizen. If that occurs well before any overt criminal action, I think its generally a positive. If armed criminal action is imminent or is happening or has happened, I think its a likely peril if you are seen as the most obvious threat in close proximity. Its just common sense.

Do I support it? (OC).. sure I do. I support more liberty as opposed to less liberty but it doesn't mean that I also think that its prudent as a SD tactic or that it will make me safer, I don't.

#26 ·

Are you going to join the discussion?

#28 ·
As mentioned in a previous thread, the DefensiveCarry username account is simply a generic admin account used for our featured topics. Before any topic is posted (in the featured area) it it is discussed within the moderator/admin team. Many times, we will use a generic admin account to post the discussion.

As for my personal opinion, I am an adamant supporter of our Second Amendment rights. Although I am not a huge fan of open carry (simply because I believe it can be a tactical disadvantage) I still believe we must protect the right to do so.

#31 ·
At home or on my property, I'll OC. It's just easier for me.
Out in public I'll CC. I'm not one to advertise.
I support an individual carrying his/her firearm any way they see fit, unless it's carried in a threatening manner.
We as 2A supporters should not pick and choose what we will/will not support as far as responsible firearms carry.

Sent via Tapatalk from somewhere in a distant bunker.

#32 ·
i side on concealed carry is my friend. over open carry.
not apposed to open carry just my belief.

when the leo's arrive it could be misunderstood who you are.
in most city's i would side on the belief as just not a smart thing to do. out in the country it makes perfect reason to have a gun on you. no mater how you carry.

#34 ·
I prefer to conceal, however I like it to be legal to do either. That way if I'm out in the woods open carrying and the weather turns bad, I can protect the gun and be legal. Or if I'm concealed and the weather turns hot and I want to remove a cover garment, there is no problem. Same logic if a shirt or jacket happens to ride up and I don't notice. I try to be aware of that happening, but hey, stuff happens.

#37 ·
I open carry because I can, and I don't need to ask anyone for permission, or approval.

I also conceal carry because I can, and I don't need to ask anyone for permission, or approval.

I don't need no damn permit for either, either.

#38 ·

Open carry is not prohibited by ANY Federal law. Open carry is regulated by States and has been in most since they were formed. I think if a state wanted to change their law regarding open carry they would do so, the same as concealed carry laws are regularly modified. TX for example recently voted FOR open carry so I have to assume it was the will of the people to do so. Other more restrictive states like CA have added even more carry restrictions. I don't think either state is any safer, maybe the opposite.

I am not a strong advocate of open carry and do not think walking main street with an AR slung over the back, because you can, is very wise. However as long as it is not illegal it must be permitted. So far, I don't know of any laws that restrict stupid besides perhaps involuntary being committed as mentally ill.

I'm for law and order. Police should be able to stop and frisk and question any weird person openly carrying a gun or a large kitchen knife. They should not be put in a position by liberals who have taken political correctness to such an extreme that they can't be effective.

Quite honestly, I think there are much greater issues facing our country than debating the pros and cons of open carry. I have to question the motive of this inquiry.

Reactions: graydude
#39 ·
Quite honestly, I think there are much greater issues facing our country than debating the pros and cons of open carry. I have to question the motive of this inquiry.

Considering that this is specifically a defensivecarry forum, I think considerations of those tactics [ large and small] that may ultimately contribute toward success or failure in a self defense related incident is relative as well as pretty important.

#40 ·
You took what I wrote out of context. I'm not for or against OC. What's not illegal is legal. What I would like to know of the OP is the reason for the question is being revisited.
In other words, Why do you ask?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.