Registered
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
3/10...I have a way to go!

What do you believe is missing from the list? Maybe the M1 Garand? Or possibly a 1903 Springfield?

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
632 Posts
Nice guns but not my speed. While i appreciate heritage and classics, i am a big scifi nut, so anything furtureistic is win in my book

·
Registered
278 Posts
3/10...I have a way to go!

What do you believe is missing from the list? Maybe the M1 Garand? Or possibly a 1903 Springfield?
The list seems very "current". It needs a wider base of historical rifles that made real contributions to culture, life, and liberty. IMO.

For me, there has to be:
The Musket (a black powder, patch and ball, barrel loaded)
1873 Winchester in 44-40, 38-40, or 32-20;
A Winchester single-shot (caliber unimportant);
A Sharpes Rifle;
A Spencer Rifle;
M1 Garand;
And four from his list of the more current rifles, definitely including the AR-15.

You can't really appreciate the development of rifles, and the changes from black powder musket design, through breech loaders, to current technology until you have loaded and maintained these rifles, and appreciated the developments of each successive leap forward in design.

So my list covers the rifle from an earlier period to present. Just MHO.
saa.

·
Registered
21,431 Posts
7/10. The Browning lever and 22 plus the Custom are two I never had.

But in their place I submit a Shilo Sharps 45-90, a Remington Nylon 66, and Sporterized Mauser.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
What good are they after I die? and then what do I do with them? Do you think there is a range in heaven?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Weird list.

I own 1 on their list and am interested in maybe 1 or 2 others, but most are completely uninteresting to me.

·
Registered
21,431 Posts
Many of those rifles listed are probably desired by more refined " rifleman" and would not appeal to newer or modern day shooters, at least not until they mature in knowledge and skill.

Black rifles and plastic guns are to some the pinnacle of firearms, which is OK, but once you reach a certain threshold, of which I don't have the vocab to adequately describe, you will lust after many of those rifles.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Bleh, nothing special about most of those.

Should have just listed to get the following.

Lever Action in at least 30-30
A .22 lr rifle.
An AR-15
A bolt action 30 cal or bigger
a semi 30 cal or bigger

and be done with the list.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Many of those rifles listed are probably desired by more refined " rifleman" and would not appeal to newer or modern day shooters, at least not until they mature in knowledge and skill.

Black rifles and plastic guns are to some the pinnacle of firearms, which is OK, but once you reach a certain threshold, of which I don't have the vocab to adequately describe, you will lust after many of those rifles.
Yes, you are correct in the fact that it is a listing of rifles for the more refined hunter and upscale traditional rifle afficianado. I don't think it's as much based on knowledge and skill, as it is on stature and activity.

Many have the knowledge and skill, but lack the stature (ok, money, let's just call a pig a pig) to acquire them. On the other hand there are those whose activity or interest would negate many of those from their wish list - which is where I fall in. I understand them, but don't find the value there; for my activities (not a game hunter any longer), nor for my interests (I collect for historical impact of gun development and their contributions to our culture, country, and life).

So, I agree, many will see that list as a non-value list right off. For a dedicated rifleman - reaching number ten on that list is the coup de grace.
saa.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I agree with some that is on the list. As for the AR15....ehh not really. As some have mentioned where is the M1 ??? God Bless:smile:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am only 1/10 with my AR, but I do not know how the M1 Garand is not on the list so I will consider myself 2/10 :tongue:

·
Super Moderator
19,222 Posts
Those are some nice and desirable rifles but as others have said others such as the M-1 Garand, M-1 Carbine, ’03 Springfield, Moison-Nagant, a 98 Mauser and even a Type 99 Ariska should be included. All of these rifles have made a contribution to history both good and bad but they do have significance. And a custom rifle does not have to be expensive, I have a 220 Swift built on a 09 Argentina action with a Timiney trigger, Roberts stock and a Shaw barrel. I put it together back about 1981 for less than $500 and still have it.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Interesting list. I'm 71, and I "grew up" lusting after some of those guns! I shot a couple of them that friends owned and a couple of others that relatives owned. I always wanted a Model 52 Winchester, but it was way out of my price range back then when they were available from the factory/gun shops. I always thought that "someday" I'd pick up a Model 94--never dreamed that they would stop making it! I never had a "need" for it--I just wanted one.:image035: Same for a Model 70. I do have a Model 9422 that I purchased back in the 70s. Never got around to getting it's "big brother". Over the years, my "tastes" have changed. I never thought I'd go to the "black" rifles over "walnut", but I did get a Colt M4 a while back--although it is OD instead of black! I agree with those that feel a M1 Garand should be on the list and the '03 Springfield. But that list did bring back some memories from long ago! Use to read Jack's column in Outdoor Life every month when I was a lot younger.:yup:

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

Then I guess I'm not mature, knowledgeable, skilled or refined enough for this particular list.

I'd have ditched most of these choices and gone with immature, stupid, unskilled and hillbilly choices like the Garand, Lee-Enfield, Springfield, Kentucky Rifle, 3-Band Enfield, FAL etc...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have 3. The AR, The model 94, And the model 70. The AR I bought when they were not cool to own and actually got a lot of heckling for buying one. (Who woulda thunk it?) The model 94 was given to me when I was 12 Im 33 now. The model 70... Smoking deal from a friend who won it at a raffle.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts