Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i stopped in earlier today at a local shop, Bill's Sporting Goods, to kill some time, not really intent on buying anything. my brother had a doctor's appointment, so i decided to drop by the store, instead of hanging out in the waiting room, reading Golf Digest.

i took a look at a used Charles Daly Hi Power; they were asking $299 for it. it's previous owner installed XS Big Dot sights on it. it was in pretty nice shape, overall. i also took a look at a Taurus, a 4" .357, not sure of the model. it looked to be brand new; the price was around $400.

i wandered over to the back counter, and was surprised to see a Cold Steel Trail Master. i've never seen one in a store, and i've always wanted to handle one, so i asked to hold it. this one was the version made from SK-5 steel, with the black coated blade. they retail for over $100. i held it, got a feel for the balance, and swirled it around a bit, safely away from other customers. i handed it back to Dave, one of the employees, and asked how much it was, just out of curiousity. he walked over to Ted, the owner, then walked back, and said, "ten dollars."

i almost thought he said it was only $10, so i asked him again.

"ten dollars."

he stood there and grinned, at me, so i knew he was pulling my chain. i told him i was going to walk over to Ted myself, and ask him again. we walked over, and Ted confirmed the price.

i think i asked him about 5 times if he was sure he wanted to sell it to me for that price. i made sure to tell him what they retail for, and he said he knew, then showed me the sticker on the back of the sheath. it clearly said $110. he said some guy brought a bunch of knives in, so it was no big deal. "it's used, anyway."

yes, it was used, but barely. there was some staining on the edge, but it still had a factory edge on it, which means you could shave with it. the staining will come off with a few minutes work. there's also some chipping on the spine, but only on the coating; the blade itself is pristine.

this isn't a factory second, it's a first run, so it's profile is perfect. i bought it, thanked Ted repeatedly, and ran out of the store, like it was stolen.

pics will be coming shortly, for additional gloating.

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
Great deal, congrats.

It sounds like a Recon Scout.

Trail Master

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
Sweeter deal then. :congrats:

They're a great knife, I've had my Trail Master for quite awhile, they haven't offered the stag handled model in a very long time.

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
Very nice. :congrats:

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Nice buy, but I think that you were involved in a 'robbery'...:image035::rofl:

·
Registered
152 Posts
OD, nice rig, tell me that goes along with a Blackhawk .44:tumbleweed:
oops, I see your avatar, must be a SAA.:embarassed:

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Warrior, you need to go to the Police and come clean! :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
22,138 Posts
OD, nice rig, tell me that goes along with a Blackhawk .44:tumbleweed:
oops, I see your avatar, must be a SAA.:embarassed:
You're close.

Sometimes it's along with a Colt SAA, or times it rides with a Convertible Blackhawk in .45Colt/.45ACP. :wink:

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
WOW, that was a very, very good deal! Congrats to a beautiful knife! :congrats:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts