Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i figure I have 1000 dollars to spend on firearms. I don't own any, and I want one for EDU. So do I spend all 1000 on one EDU, or split it on one for EDU or one for recreational and home defense? hurry, the gun show is this weekend!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Don't spend it all on the gun. You'll need to budget in ammo & a good holster as well. No sense in having a $1,000 hammer.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Buy a Glock, and then buy high capacity magazines and ammo with the rest of your cash.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
For 1000, bucks you should be able to get a couple of different guns that would be good for both carry, and recreational use, holsters, and some ammo to practice with.

Much is going to depend on what you want and whether you want to purchase the gun this weekend, or actually look around to see what the best buys are for your money. Nothing worse than having cash burning a hole in your pocket and ending up with buyers regret a month down the line. Guns that are going to be carried every day aren't something that need to be rushed into.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Any Glock, XD, or S&W M&P for autos. 4 inch S&W 686 or Ruger GP 100 for revolvers. Then a good holster (a couple of mags if you pick an auto) and lots of ammo.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Here are my recommendations, its just what I would do.
First take a class on Concealed carry if you plan on carrying. Second do more research then a week on your first gun, so dont buy one this weekend at the gunshow. Third, budget in all the other stuff besides the gun you are going to need. Ammo, cleaning materials, possibly holster(only if you plan to carry), spare magazines, magholsters. The list is from what I find most important for first time gun owner to least useful. Yes ammo is first, because without ammo there really isnt a need to clean your gun yet.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Buy a Glock, get a good holster, some extra ammo and a SD pistol class.:hand10::danceban:

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
A Glock and good holster, and ammo first...probably a Model 19. Then if there is money left over get a Rem 870 for HD.

·
Registered
368 Posts
get a Springfield Armory XD ~$500, then use the rest for a good holster (MTAC ~$80) and as much ammo as you can buy

edit - I carry a 4" XD everyday, all day in my MTAC at around 3:30 on my waist... very comfortable and concealable

·
Registered
921 Posts
Like the others said M&P, Glock or XD and if you have kids or others that you don't want access... get something like THIS would be a good start for a growing collection.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
do you guys actuall carry these glocks on a daily basis?? if so how?
No, I don't carry a Glock every day, but carry a Taurus 24/7,basically the same size as a Glock 17, most every day in a Fist #9 holster (outside waist band).

I wear shirts with a square cut bottom so they don't have to be tucked in. BTW, you can find these without Hawian prints, although I do have some that look beach worthy for summer time.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i figure I have 1000 dollars to spend on firearms. I don't own any, and I want one for EDU. So do I spend all 1000 on one EDU, or split it on one for EDU or one for recreational and home defense? hurry, the gun show is this weekend!
$330 for a Glock 22 http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22_PD_marked.html or a Glock 17 for $379 Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

$100 for shipping, FFL fees & other assorted BS

$100 on spare mags
$75 for a holster (good to excellent quality)
$50 for a gunbelt

Roughly $345 to blow on ammo & training assuming you go with the less expensive Glock listed.

Assuming you go with a Glock 17 ( like 9mm for easier shooting, and with good ammo you loose nothing in terms of lethality...not to mention significantly less costly ammo...) you have $296 to blow on ammo & training.

Gunshows are like whore houses...expect to get..."dirty word-ed"

·
Registered
829 Posts
I agree with those who advocate to not rush and buy... research, take your time shoot others if you can and see what you like... You may be better served by a revolver to start... less to learn than a semi-auto... that depends on your familarity with handguns... you may want to consider a primary pistol, a back up pistol, a home defense shotgun and a home defense rifle. A 1000$ will not get all unless you find really good use deals... I would also place the priority in the order I listed for me personally... you could with strategic shopping get a Keltec PF9 9mm, a used 38 spec revolver and a used shotgun, a couple of holsters for the pistols (you can make a pocket holster out of leather yourself), 8 boxes of 9mm, 3 boxes of 38 special, and 4 boxes of shotgun shells...

for holsters, I use every day this holster: ZAA-799 - Ace Case Tuckable Holster, Pocket Autos Fits .25, .32, Keltec 380 , Ruger, LCP, Ambidextrous

ammo is also a must, start checking walmart now because they are almost always cheapest,

Also you'll need to make a caliber decision... this takes time at the range,

Take time to research and find a friend who has a variety of firearms you can demo to see what you like...

I recommend not buying this weekend, if you can already carry see if you have a good friend or family who would let you borrow a pistol to carry for a while...

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
Investing money in self defense is a 'continuum' rather than a one-time deal, which I'm sure you recognize. As others have pointed out, in addition to the actual firearm(s), you'll need holster(s), some means of secure storage, and expendable supplies like ammo and cleaning stuff, and of course, training.

Given that, I'm not sure if you mean you have $1K to spend on hardware right now, or to spend over a period of time.

If the former, then I would be inclined to get a pair of handguns, along the lines of a service autoloader in full or compact size, and a J-frame-sized revolver. In the mid-priced range ($500 or so) you can find Glocks and XDs (a bit blocky but reliable) and Smith + Wesson M+Ps. You should be able to find a S+W hammerless or shrouded-hammer stainless J frame like a 642 or 638 for $450 or less; comparable models from Taurus are about $100 lower.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
I love these kinds of threads. It feels like I'm spending someone else's money.:image035:

Get a Sig. I recommend a P239 (about $750 to $850). The two tone will cost more.

Get a good holster and a box or two of ammo.

Yeah, that's what I'd do if I had some spare money.

Glocks are good, but Sigs are better.

I've got the G23 (first gun I ever bought for myself). He's my steady-Eddie.

But once I fondled a Sig, my Glock takes 2nd place.

Fickle is my middle name.

·
Registered
208 Posts
do you guys actuall carry these glocks on a daily basis?? if so how?

Yep. A Glock 19 with a Crimson Trace lasergrip in a Hign Noon Slide Guard Holster on a Beltman Belt :hand10: or a Blackhawk Serpa 2 Holster paddle holster.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts