Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a reloader so ammo avalibity is not that much of an issue for me.I would like your thoughts on this round for carry purposes.I have many pistols but I find that the frames are to large for proper carry.I have many .45's and have considered purchasing a smaller framed .45.However I like the preformance that the 10mm provides.
Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
535 Posts
One thing for sure. Anyone who can conceal carry a 10mm is a man. A real man. And that goes for any women who can do the same.

On the serious side, 10mm is probably about one millimeter more than you need for two legged self defense. In the Rockies it would be a different story.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about the Glock 29
Weight: 24.69
Length: 6.77"
Width: 1.27"
I am 6'1" tall and 257lbs. I don't think I will have a problem with concealment or "printing".

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I carry a G29SF usually in a MTAC IWB w/velcro clips. Works well and conceals fine. I also just bought a High Noon Under Armor shoulder holster to try out as well. I'm 5'9", 200 and ugly as hell.

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys!I forgot to mention that I am also ugly as hell,so not to many people will keep their eyes on me for too long!

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The Glock 29 is an excellent SD gun with an excellent SD round. As far as being one mm to big, well what most people dont know is that .40 S&W, probably one of the second most popular SD rounds out there is the same diameter as a 10mm. It is essentially a 10 mm short. The FBI issued it to its agents at one point but for various told stories of logistics went away from it for the .40 cal Glock as their issue gun. It is a man stopper.

That being said....it does not mean that a eager prosecutor/LE looking to make a case will not bring it up in trial with the help of a "gun expert"/analyst. They may be fine with it and they may crucify you in the public/press for it if youhave to use it in SD. I would just do your research and have proven court cases at the ready if you do go to using it as an EDC. Overall I like the round a lot. So does Ted Nugent....thats just plain cool. LOL

·
Premium Member
24,511 Posts
One thing for sure. Anyone who can conceal carry a 10mm is a man. A real man. And that goes for any women who can do the same.

On the serious side, 10mm is probably about one millimeter more than you need for two legged self defense. In the Rockies it would be a different story.
A 10mm is no harder to conceal than a .45. The Dan Wesson Commander Classic Bobtail is a 4.25" barrel that is chambered for either .45 or 10 mm.

The .40 cal round is nothing more than a shortened 10 mm.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If I was a reloader and ammo was not an issue...the G29 would be on my side!:comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
10mm is ballpark = to a the .41 mag. The .41 mag. was very popular with Hwy Patrolmen when revolvers roamed the earth (and ruled LE holsters). Yeah, it barked & bit harder than the .357 mag. But no one who carried & shot .41 mag. ever felt "overgunned". If you wanna' CC a 10mm, have at it.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
10mm is ballpark = to a the .41 mag. The .41 mag. was very popular with Hwy Patrolmen when revolvers roamed the earth (and ruled LE holsters). Yeah, it barked & bit harder than the .357 mag. But no one who carried & shot .41 mag. ever felt "overgunned". If you wanna' CC a 10mm, have at it.
I agree 100%!!! I pack my 3" 657 .41 mag and feel very well armed. If it was good enough for many law agencies I think you have a good case in it's use for SD. Think the 58's and the .41 mag round went away as many folks had a hard time qualifying with it.

If you were to give me one HANDGUN to protect myself with it would be the 3" Smith .41 mag, followed by my Springer 1911 loaded with 230 gr. Winchester Rangers (new Black Talons W/O the teflon coating. My 6" 57 has 37 deer to it's credit over the last 30+ years. Most were shot with the old Remington 210 gr. JSP's.

A sure way to get yourself in hot water in a SD shoot is to use your reloads. I (not an expert) and many experts HIGHLY recommend you stay away from them. Stick with a good factory round. I use 210 gr. Speer Gold Dots. Works well on a 160 lb. deer, so should do the job on a thug.

Iggy needs to chime in here. He took out a motor with his model 58 during his LE career.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Agreed! I have an old Colt Delta Elite 10mm that hits steel plates like Thor's Hammer, the mythic "Mjollnir". But in an extended match I would run outta' juice wayyy before that Colt did! I DID discover that the blast & whack attracted other shooter's attention like opening the hood on a built Bowtie Big Block. They just HAD to have a look-see.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would also advise against carrying reloads, save them for the range and get some hot 10mm from Double Tap for carry, I've been told they are one of the few manufacturer's who don't light load their 10mm to resemble a .40 S&W.

DoubleTap Ammunition

Caliber : 10mm

Bullet : 200gr Controlled Expansion JHP

Ballistics : 1250fps / 694ft lbs. muzzle - Glock 20
1083fps / 521 ft lbs 100yds Glock 20
Glock 29 - 1195fps Muzzle

I know that's what I would carry. BTW, checked the Speer website, didn't see any 10mm offerings, Maybe they discontinued?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have been carrying the Delta Elite 10mm for several weeks now and find it fairly easy to conceal with the right holster. I am using the Don Hume Agent 711 O.T. No. 10 and it works out great.

·
Registered
774 Posts
10mm is a very solid choice for CC if you can get the ammo. Wish I would have looked into it more before I got my G23.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I notice that you're from Ohio.

If there are lots of bears in the woods in Ohio and you foresee having to defend yourself from ravaging wild animals, not of the bi-pedal kind, then I would recommend the 10mm if you were inclined to tote an autoloader.

Harold Fish used a 10mm with hollowpoints to defend himself against an attacker. That was one of a couple of issues at his trial that did help to get him convicted. Yes, the conviction has since been over-turned, but he will never get back the time he lost while sitting in prison.

While ballisticlly the 10mm may be compareable to the .41 Magnum, in the reality of the jury pool it is a totally different animal not worthy of consideration IMHO. As a range gun or hunting sidearm I see no issues with the 10mm, but that's just my opinion. As a defensive handgun against non-four legged animals I would be reticent to employ it's usage.

While you can explain things to a jury there is no reason to set yourself up to have to explain more than you should. Besides, the 10mm loads that would be recognized as being acceptable for self defense are really nothing more than a longer cased .40 S&W, IIRC. That great penetration of some of those original loads may be fine in the woods, but not necessarily acceptable in Downtown, OH..

I won't even go into using reloads for defensive use, as that's a whole 'nuther critter and it's too late for me to start chawin' on that bone.

Biker

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
10mm caution

I hate to be a wet blanket regarding the use of 10mm for self defense, but you should research the Harold Fish case in Arizona:

Harold Fish self defense shooting case involving 10mm

Mr. Fish is now in prison, and his caliber and ammo choice was highlighted by the prosecution during his trial in Arizona.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I hate to be a wet blanket regarding the use of 10mm for self defense, but you should research the Harold Fish case in Arizona:

Harold Fish self defense shooting case involving 10mm

Mr. Fish is now in prison, and his caliber and ammo choice was highlighted by the prosecution during his trial in Arizona.
Perhaps this won't be a popular opinion, but I don't see the situation, as highlighted in the link above, as being a clearcut case of self-defense. Based on what I read, I would say that Fish had the right to defend himself with non-deadly force, but even if one takes what he says as the complete truth, whether or not deadly force was justified is up for debate. Clearly the jury in this case didn't think that Fish was justified. That is how the system works.

As to the 10mm issue, the defense clearly could have made a case that the 10mm was a common law enforcement gun and that hollowpoint ammuniton is used by almost all LE agencies. If they did not, shame on them. If they did, it wasn't reported in the article. When the FBI went to the 1076 in the early 90's a lot of agencies followed suit. 10mm pistols were pretty common in LE until about 2000 or so, less than 5 years before this shooting.

Perhaps there is a lot more to this story, but based on what is reported in the above article, I can't say that the jury made the wrong decision. It might not be a decision we like, a CHP holder and honest citizen getting caught up on the wrong side of the system, but that doesn't necessarily make the decision the wrong one.

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
Howdy Mr. Landric. :wave:

Fish was/is the "poster boy" for a certain element of the concealed carry / self defense crowd. Talking is only one of the factors that helped to get him convicted. He also had very ineffective counsel and a belief that I see many here on DC, and in the gun world, hold.

That is the belief that the truth will set you free and that in the end you will be seen as the "good guy". Just as an FYI: The first lead investigator not only found no fault with the shooting, but stated he would've done the same thing. It was a "political" case brought about by the family of the deceased. The second investigator, knowing full well what happened to the first investigator, acceded to the blowing political winds of the day.

I believe that Fish's case went before a Grand Jury three times before the County Attorney got a true bill. From all I've read, seen and heard, this was a tragic case of a miscarriage of justice. I have also publicly stated that in his shoes I most likely would've done the same thing and shot the deceased as well.

If I shoot in the ground to warn your three dogs that are charging me, and being a definate threat, and you run at me stating that you are going to kill me, I can only presume that you have the means and ability to do so. When shots are fired the reasonable person, IMHO, seeks cover behind the nearest big pine tree so as to not become a bullet sponge.

Biker

1 - 20 of 34 Posts