Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Springfield says a 10mm XD(M) is in the works for 2017.

For those of you with 10mm's, what min barrel length do you think is suitable? Is a 3.8" barrel enough to benefit on 10mm goodness over a .40 +P load?

Hopefully they'll put the 10 in the Mod.2, which does have a better grip design IMO (despite the cheesy grip zone inscription). A 3.3" barrel in a Mid.2 may be too short, so they might be aiming at a 4".

Anyone have more details than this brief Q&A?

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
Springfield says a 10mm XD(M) is in the works for 2017.

For those of you with 10mm's, what min barrel length do you think is suitable? Is a 3.8" barrel enough to benefit on 10mm goodness over a .40 +P load?...
There is no such thing as a (legitimate) ".40 +P load". Any ammo manufacturer who purports to sell a ".40 +P" load is selling out-of-spec ammo.

Using out of spec ammo is never wise. :nono:

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no such thing as a (legitimate) ".40 +P load". Any ammo manufacturer who purports to sell a ".40 +P" load is selling out-of-spec ammo.

Using out of spec ammo is never wise. :nono:
True.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
A short barrel 10mm is a waste, get at least a 5" barrel to benefit from that extra case length and powder and get that full 10 mm velocity, if you are going to shoot a 180 gr bullet 950-1000 fps use a ..40 and a smaller framed pistol to do it with, an I'm sorry to the G29 guys but the G23 carries better, fits more people's hands and holds more ammo, and is neck to neck performance wise with most off the shelf ammo.

I wouldn't mind having a 10mm but I want it it a platform like the Dan Wesson Bruin or Sig 10 mm 220 Hunter where it can really stretch it's legs

·
Banned
854 Posts
A good rule of thumb with 10mm is similar to a .357- the longer the barrel (to a point) the better the ballistic coefficient. Plus, longer barrels obviously handle hot recoil better. That said, my Glock 29 (3.77 inch barrel) is a joy to shoot. It's extremely accurate, especially for a Glock. It's likely Springfield is going to copy Glock in many aspects so you can likely expect a similar shooting experience.

Reactions: graydude

·
Premium Member
6,567 Posts
A good rule of thumb with 10mm is similar to a .357- the longer the barrel (to a point) the better the ballistic coefficient...
Sorry, but barrel length has nothing to do with ballistic coefficient.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Sorry, but barrel length has nothing to do with ballistic coefficient.
I agree technically and perhaps the word coefficient is not appropriate . Yet I also factor in velocity to the coefficient for handgun calibers, even if essentially irrelevant at self defense ranges. Nonetheless, point taken.

Reactions: LeanHard

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SA will probably enter with a direct competitor to the G20 or G29, and start with a 3.8" or 4.5" barrel since the announcement specified an XD(M). But, a 4" XD-S could be a way to hit the market with a different angle. I've not paid much attention to 10mm; are there any striker fired single stacks out there?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Why ??? I'll have to say, I just don't get that, nor a G43 in 10mm. :confused:

I am 10MM fan that's why no other reason. I have a progressive press setup solely for reloading the 10mm. When the FBIadopted the 10mm the requirements were stringent and they only dropped it because the women agents had a tough time shooting the caliber. otherwise it is a formidable defensive caliber.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
I think your going to see a resurgence in the 10 mike mike. One of I had 4 of them at one time. a G29 a Smith 610, a original Delta Elite, and a Lew Horton special addition Colt 10mm. Should have never sold that Delta Elite.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I am 10MM fan that's why no other reason. I have a progressive press setup solely for reloading the 10mm. When the FBIadopted the 10mm the requirements were stringent and they only dropped it because the women agents had a tough time shooting the caliber. otherwise it is a formidable defensive caliber.
Uh, OK. Once Springfield Armory finds out you want a 10mm XDS, they will probably build one immediately.

But personally, I think I'd prefer to shoot 10mm out of a REAL gun. YMMV, R.J. :smile:

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
I also think the 10mm is kind of wasted with shorter length barrels and smaller guns. I sometimes carry a G20SF and carry full-power 10mm from Underwood. I even have a 6" barrel for it if I really want "hot."

My "big bore small gun" is a G30S. Very easy to conceal and comfortable to carry, yet plenty of power. For me, the 10 is for times I feel like carrying a full size gun and can conceal it under enough clothing. Not very often around here.

·
Banned
2,569 Posts
I'm kind of in the 10mm in longer barrels camp. If I'm going to carry a heavy hitter, I want that bullet to have as much of what it needs without any diminishing returns or having a gun too impractical. All that said, I wouldn't carry a 10mm XD even once it became available. It just doesn't seem to be the right gun for the cartridge. Don't ask me why, it's just a personal thing, like putting the 9mm in a Government/Commander 1911. It just isn't right in my head.

I will say one thing, unless 10mm ammo comes down in price, I doubt that XD would sell all that well. I'm not sure the Glock 20/29 even sells that well. Commercial ammo is expensive and basically just a re-labeled .40, and trying to get anything from Underwood is an exercise in patience and frustration. Not to mention they charge a little too much for most of their calibers. I actually would prefer .357 SIG become more popular. There are more readily available guns for it, commercial ammo isn't as watered down, and there are a hell of a lot of advantages to it as a carry cartridge. Oh well, at least Springfield isn't ignoring the people who want another 10. Good for them on that.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh well, at least Springfield isn't ignoring the people who want another 10. Good for them on that.
I may pick one up just for that reason. It'll make a good novelty gun if nothing else.

Maybe SA will get enough sales to consider the 357 Sig, or heck, maybe even doing a 45 Super from the factory. Ok, never mind, that's fantasy land.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts