Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got together with some buddies last weekend to do some hog hunting. The farmer had let us know that the hogs were tearing the hell out of his pastures and we got some hogs last week, but not enough.

So four of us went out this week, 3 shooters and a spotter/safety guy. The evening started off slow with two individual boars (stinkers, not butchered), but around 1:00 am, we came across the sounder in the field that was severely rooted. 12 hogs in the sounder and we got 9 of them. 8 were gutted and taken to the butcher. Backstraps from the largest boar in the group (didn't stink) were all that was harvested from him.

As near as I can tell from the video, we did not lose any wounded hogs. Each of the hunters stayed on the hogs with until they were down.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Nice! Cool video, and appreciate the narration.

·
Registered
8,650 Posts
I really liked the "pew, pew" sound effects!

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
326 Posts
Nice video, may be a dumb question, but what do you mean by "stinker"? I am not a hunter.
Unemasculated male hogs that have reached breeding age become unfit for cooking because of hormonal changes . The meat stinks when cooked .
Ever start frying breakfast bacon and notice a foul odor instead of good smells ? Some unscrupulos meat processor slipped a boar hog in for profit .

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Nice footage. Killed 2 myself late today in middle Georgia. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unemasculated male hogs that have reached breeding age become unfit for cooking because of hormonal changes . The meat stinks when cooked .
Right, only we tend to go by actual smell of the hog or smell of the hog's meat. We do eat some boars that are well into breeding age. It really just depends. When we do, it is often either just the back straps or that the meat is being made into sausage. Hogs that truly stink are donated to the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society. :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts