Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks

I have a chance to trade for a nice 1100 remington 12 ga with a 28 inch vent rib bbl. Along with it I'll get an extra 20 inch deer slug style bbl.

I want a nice all around semi auto shotgun for birds and such, but I also wonder if with the 20 inch bbl, it would made a decent, reliable home defense shotgun that could be used in say, a tac shotgun class?

I don't want to turn it into a space gun, but I wouldn't be adverse to a sparks style shotgun shell buttstock holder.

What are your experiences with 1100s used in this way? Anything I would need to add?

·
Super Moderator
22,002 Posts
I don't see why it couldn't be used for a tactical shotgun, they're still quite popular in 3 gun.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Bud is right on the O ring.

The one I had way, way back was a great gun tho I think maybe from a ''tac'' POV I'd want a shorter barrel if thinking 12G, but the 20G, that would do nicely I reckon for that.

Only thing I have no idea about (mine was just 12G) - is whether cycling is equally reliable with either barrel - no doubt it should be but I'd want to know for sure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok..I dont know anything about the O ring question..please elaborate guys...thanks

Remember, I've never owned a semi auto shotgun.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I have an 1100 and 5 barrels for it, never had a problem with any of them. I have used it for hunting deer with both a smooth bore and Foster style slugs & a rifled barrel with Brennekes; hunted rabbits, squirrels, pheasants, turkeys and ducks with it by just changing barrels; as well as putting it in a composite pistol grip stock with an 8 round mag extender and side saddle shell holder and rifle sighted slug barrel and taking it along when I rode on patrol with a sheriff’s deputy buddy. It is in this last configuration right now and serves as my home defense shotgun loaded with 6 000 buck and 2 slugs, so I have, and do stake my life on it; an 1100 will do you just fine.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
The Gas oring can dry out and cause it not to cycle right simple 10$ fix find this espically on non cleaned or non well taken care of guns

·
Super Moderator
22,002 Posts
As Bud said, the Teflon "O" ring can become brittle and allow gas blow-by affecting reliability. Nu-Line offers a rebuild kit with stainless rings and the Teflon O ring. I re-built my 11-87 with it and it made a hell of a difference. One other thing Lawrence, check the 20" barrel to see if it states "Not for LT Loads."

Brownells stock #655-110-000
$19.95

1 - 8 of 8 Posts