Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Comparing different 9mm ammo (Gold Dot, Federal, Hornady....) and leaning toward the Federal HST. Ballistics show the HST 124gr to have a penetrating depth of 18.3" and an expansion of .61" while the HST 147gr penetrates 15.2" and also expands to .61". Weird that the 124gr's expansion diameter is the same as the 147gr - why is that? Looks like the HST 124gr has my vote, but wanted to ask what you all use/suggest as far as brand, gr. weight, +p or not +p...and anything else as far as 9mm is concerned.

What is your go-to round in 9mm for self-defense and why?

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
I use 124gr in any brand as that is the NATO standard for European handguns.

The HK USP9C has 124 gr +P Speer Gold Dots
The Walther P5 has 124 gr Federal Hydra-Shock
The Walther P99 has Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr +P
The Walther PPS has 124 gr Federal Hydra-Shock
The Walther P1 uses Sellier & Bellot 124 gr FMJ

This is what I've found to be reliable in each of these handguns, though I'm certain any of them could use any other round. They happen to be the first rounds that were bought for them (or already had on hand) that were tested in each of these handguns and found to be reliable.

Some of the same brands and styles are used in my other caliber handguns as well.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Any of the major brand 124's w/ a bonded bullet should do the trick. 124 gr HST's and Gold Dot's have a well proven track record on the street! I think that the 124 gr is the way to go with the current crop of sub-compact 9mm handguns because they rarely have feeding problems like the 147's do in some sub compacts. Just my .02 worth!

·
Registered
6,911 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use 147 grn HST. I just measured one that I shot into three gallon jugs filled with water and its .630". Of the JHP Ive tested HST are the most consistent expanding bullet. The only GDJHP Ive tested are the G-2 manufactured in 2015 after the issues were resolved.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
124+p's in the g26 shorter barrel to keep velocity up, 147s/v's in the full size guns.
As far as the Federal HST go - 147gr: 15.2" depth/.61" diameter & 124gr +p: 18.3" depth/.66 diameter. Test gun was a S&W M&P 9C - 3.5" barrel.

I've got a G17 and Shield for 9mm. You'd still recommend using 147gr s/v (standard velocity?) for the G17 rather than using the 124+...since the 124+p had better results? I guess the outcome on the 147gr would be better if tested with the G17's 4.5" barrel, I just wonder if would make up the lacking 3" of depth and the minor .05" of difference...?

·
Super Moderator
20,679 Posts
As far as the Federal HST go - 147gr: 15.2" depth/.61" diameter & 124gr +p: 18.3" depth/.66 diameter. Test gun was a S&W M&P 9C - 3.5" barrel.

I've got a G17 and Shield for 9mm. You'd still recommend using 147gr s/v (standard velocity?) for the G17 rather than using the 124+...since the 124+p had better results? I guess the outcome on the 147gr would be better if tested with the G17's 4.5" barrel, I just wonder if would make up the lacking 3" of depth and the minor .05" of difference...?
It's easy to get immersed in the performance data - I'm a number-cruncher myself. But in the grand scheme of things, 50 thousandths of an inch difference in expansion and a couple of inches difference in penetration in the jello is really splitting hairs. Chances are the data you're using represent the best from that particular maker and not from a thousand shots, and I wonder what the repeatability is as well as the measurement uncertainty. If you put a tolerance band on the uncertainty of either round's performance, I'd bet the difference between the two would look pretty small.

Bottom line - let the general trends of data guide you, but understand that the differences highlighted may not be all that significant.

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
I don't look at statistics and test data. I use what works in my firearms.

The human body in on average only 10"-15" thick. Even if the bullet gets halfway through that distance it will still be effective.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
From what I've read that's looking to be my choice...so far.
Any particular reason you don't go with +p?
Sure. I actually tried all the HSTs. They all hit where they were supposed to - so that was a good start. Out of them all I found that "for me" the regular 9mm was the easiest to control and get back on target in my compacts. The 147's weren't bad, but the +p's I found a little snappy. It was noticeable (again, for me). Getting back on target quickly is important to me.

After reviewing all the YouTube video's on everything HST, I became comfortable in the regular 124 gr 9mm's ability to do what it needs to do. So that's what I load for now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to any of the other HST's and would pack any of them if need be.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I don't look at statistics and test data. I use what works in my firearms.

The human body in on average only 10"-15" thick. Even if the bullet gets halfway through that distance it will still be effective.
What happens when they don't oblige you with the perfect, head-on, squared up shot?

And, FWIW, all my 9mm's run 147HST for carry ammo...I prefer heavy.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I use 124gr in any brand as that is the NATO standard for European handguns.

The HK USP9C has 124 gr +P Speer Gold Dots
The Walther P5 has 124 gr Federal Hydra-Shock
The Walther P99 has Remington Golden Sabre 124 gr +P
The Walther PPS has 124 gr Federal Hydra-Shock
The Walther P1 uses Sellier & Bellot 124 gr FMJ

This is what I've found to be reliable in each of these handguns, though I'm certain any of them could use any other round. They happen to be the first rounds that were bought for them (or already had on-hand) that were tested in each of these handguns and found to be reliable.

Some of the same brands and styles are used in my other caliber handguns as well.
You mean for weight, right?
Or are NATO rounds allowed to be HP's now?

I run 147gr Fiocchi's in my 9mm's. They are HP's but I don't believe they are the Extrema, which utilized an XTP bullet.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.