Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a box of real black talons in a box of old gun stuff today.

Think this stuff will shoot like when it was fresh?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
I'd agree with Ed.

But is this a 20 or 50? If the latter I would fire off 10 and use that as a benchmark to reassure that rest are good - otherwise maybe just 5.

Little doubt after average storage conditions they'll go bang every time.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P95Carry said:
I'd agree with Ed.

But is this a 20 or 50? If the latter I would fire off 10 and use that as a benchmark to reassure that rest are good - otherwise maybe just 5.

Little doubt after average storage conditions they'll go bang every time.

Yeah its the little 20 round box.
I just wasnt sure if I should load them in some of my CCW mags or not.
Hell I'll fire off 7 and keep 13 of them around in case they are good.

Are these rounds really as good as folks say?

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it's a full box, perhaps the prudent thing to do would be to store it away for possible collectors' value. Don't know that I'd want to be my life on it.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Yep - collectible may be way to go.

IIRC there is still a sorta Black Talon around - but it just ain't black any more. (Black bullet = cop killer, doncha know!).

acparmed for one may be able to help on that as I think he used to use some - or load with them.

As to effectiveness - not sure but I think they were well thought of.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
sell em on ebay or gunbroker for big $$$ . After all Armor piercing, HP, exploding , elephant stopping rounds are nasty. Did I forget cop killing?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rocky said:
sell em on ebay or gunbroker for big $$$ . After all Armor piercing, HP, exploding , elephant stopping rounds are nasty. Did I forget cop killing?
Dont forget they can take out satellites too!

·
Banned
318 Posts
Pssssssst!- The black coating is just there to hide the glow of the kryptonite. So the're deadly to Superman as well.:tongue:

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I am carrying BTs in my 9mm, 10mm and .45, I probably have 8 of the small boxes between all 3 calabers, I have fired a few in the past year and all were just fine.

Maybe I should replace them with Double Tap Gold Dots and set them back as a retirement investment, nothing else seems to be going up in value :danceban:

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
F350 said:
I am carrying BTs in my 9mm, 10mm and .45, I probably have 8 of the small boxes between all 3 calabers, I have fired a few in the past year and all were just fine.

Maybe I should replace them with Double Tap Gold Dots and set them back as a retirement investment, nothing else seems to be going up in value :danceban:
Not sure about Gold dot. Since the recall on hard primers. Also they marked lots of ammo with a sticker reading not for LE use. To me this means possible bad primers or other problems. No warning against self defense use on the box though. Sounds like they are trying to unload ammo on the unsuspecting.
This is JUST my OPINION , nothing more, but I switched to a diffrent carry ammo.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
rocky-
Not sure about Gold dot. Since the recall on hard primers. Also they marked lots of ammo with a sticker reading not for LE use. To me this means possible bad primers or other problems. No warning against self defense use on the box though. Sounds like they are trying to unload ammo on the unsuspecting.
Slight difference here....what I am referring to is a company called "Double Tap" http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php he loads the Gold Dot bullet. He loads any given cartridge to higher velocity than the big manufacturers, he loads the 10mm to the original specs, not the down loaded rounds everyone else does to protect those antiquated steel frame guns.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
BLACK TALONS!!! ~ 13 years old ~ Not a 666 stamped on them anywhere is there?

:devil:EVIL BULLETS:devil:

If it's a full box & the box is in good shape then I would hold onto them for a few more years.
They likely will continue to gain collector value with each passing year.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sig229 said:
Are these rounds really as good as folks say?
theyre not even close to being "as good as folks say". are they an effective defensive round? sure. are they any better than whats available today? no. marketing followed by media hype took a good bullet and turned it into the most loved/hated bullet of all time......but thats all it is.....hype. the black talon is essentially the same bullet as the ranger sxt. its not black and it doesnt have the reputation, but its the same and to the best of my knowledge neither has ever been offered in +P loads. its equivalent to the hydra-shok....not the hardest hitter, but still a first rate defensive round. i wouldnt hesitate to depend on a black talon to defend my life, but even if they were available today at a reasonable price i would prefer an xtp or a corbon due to their superior numbers.

here is a little background http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_talon

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
adding a black nickel anti-corrosion coating to the brass casings
Kinda showes the level of wikipedia's knowlege "rit thar don't it":hand5: :buttkick: :spankme:

NaturalSelection-
Does the Ranger SXT have the "talons" as well?? I heard it was the same bullet without the talons.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
IIRC, the Ranger SXT is the evolution from the original Black Talon, has six 'petals' and talons, and is primarily made available to LE. The 'civilian' SXT has 8 'petals' and no talons. Ammolab testing of Ranger vs GD showed that both offer very reliable expansion and similar performance.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Current Hollow Point design is much better then that of the Black Talon, if you want the talons, get the Ranger-T stuff, as Tom said, with 6 petals. The Gold Dot bullets are very good as well, and most mainstream stuff all better then 13 year old technology.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Tom357 said:
IIRC, the Ranger SXT is the evolution from the original Black Talon, has six 'petals' and talons, and is primarily made available to LE. The 'civilian' SXT has 8 'petals' and no talons.
since i prefer +P loads ive never played with the sxt, but i wasnt aware that there was a restricted LE version. i know the box may be labelled "law enforcement ammunition" because they sell it on the shelf at my local gun store for anyone to buy. i cant find anything on the web that states or even suggests that sales of this ammunition are restricted to law enforcement. have you got a source on this? im not questioning your knowledge, im just looking for clarity.
thanks,

·
Registered
402 Posts
1Zach1 said:
Current Hollow Point design is much better then that of the Black Talon
i agree completely. i see black talons at the local gun shows selling for $65 a box (20 rounds!) and people line up to pay it. i just chuckle to myself, think "suckers", and stock up on corbons at $15 a box.

<sigh>......the power of hype.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts