Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So many topics here. Student swinging butcher knife at other high school students. Students do not run bor try to protect others but instead pull out cell phones and start recording. What are they thinking except to possibly bully him.

Law enforcement warns then fires. He did his job.

Won't be long and the California anti gun movement will be touting how effect their laws are because the out of control student was not able to get a gun.

Knife-Wielding Student Shot by Officer at Nevada High School Video - ABC News

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
He won't do that again! A little off topic but I'd like to see police include in their DARE classes an explanation of what deadly force threats are and how they are responded to by LE. Ya can't fix stupid or crazy, but these kids need to be informed . Something else parents fail to educate their children on. What a crazy world we live in today...

·
Super Moderator
24,649 Posts
His father is angry a Taser wasn't used first, and is ignoring standard SOP for armed assailants. He is promising legal action. Let's see where that goes in CA. :lolp:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The most important lesson not being taught is manners and respect. A law enforcement officer.asks you to do something you do it. 10 or 30 years old, no diference. Do what they ask of you, then it will get sorted out, you will still be alive.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
The father will sue. The case he will most likely when will be against the school for not protecting his kid from bullies. When the pecking order is being established folks don't like being to far down the list.

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The most important lesson not being taught is manners and respect. A law enforcement officer.asks you to do something you do it. 10 or 30 years old, no diference. Do what they ask of you, then it will get sorted out, you will still be alive.
particularly when you're swinging around a couple of big knives in the midst of a bunch of other people
one comment I saw today was whining about why a hostage negotiator wasn't brought in
if the kid had been the least bit cooperative, maybe that might have worked
as it was, the kid may have wanted to be killed
another reference to this incident alluded to this drama being the result of bullying by other students
bullying is indeed a problem, but always has been
perhaps the wonderful world of social media has exacerbated this
it would be very difficult for a youngster to ignore web-wide bullying, as we were told to do 50 years ago

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
Anyone else notice the news referred to this as a school shooting? Liberals will be adding a tally mark under the school shooting and gun violence column.

As for bringing in a hostage negotiator, what good would that do? He didnt have hostages or anything. He was just an out of control kid swinging a knife around.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Somebody pulls a knife at close range, you better do something. What did people expect the cop to do? Let him hack away at the kids? Then they would blame the officer for not protecting the children.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Anyone else notice the news referred to this as a school shooting? Liberals will be adding a tally mark under the school shooting and gun violence column.

As for bringing in a hostage negotiator, what good would that do? He didnt have hostages or anything. He was just an out of control kid swinging a knife around.
no hostages as such, but a bunch of people in jeopardy - think about it :icon_neutral:
.............or should I have just written negotiator - would that have been more suitable for you?
negotiators are trained to try to end a situation in the safest & least violent way

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another point. The father, being so quick to sue law enforcement because his son was not handled as he thought he should be, could be the biggest issue with his sons bad behavior. Bullying or not, you cannot always blame the other person.

I do not get a person speaking out while their child in hospital lies in critical care. I would speak of nothing until all parties are out of danger.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Most anti-gun organizations count any shooting that happens within a block or two of a school, no matter the circumstances or context. Even LEO involved like today, or gang shootings nearby in bad neighborhoods that are completely unrelated to the school itself. It's the only way they can inflate the numbers to fit the agenda.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
no hostages as such, but a bunch of people in jeopardy - think about it :icon_neutral:
.............or should I have just written negotiator - would that have been more suitable for you?
negotiators are trained to try to end a situation in the safest & least violent way
The officer was a school resource officer. So, unless that officer could have used a taser or something, I think we can reasonably assume that it was ended in the safest and least violent way possible. I have my doubts that "hey kid, do you mind taking a 10 minute break while we wait for more officers and a negotiator to show up" would have been an effective tactic in this scenario.

Most anti-gun organizations count any shooting that happens within a block or two of a school, no matter the circumstances or context. Even LEO involved like today, or gang shootings nearby in bad neighborhoods that are completely unrelated to the school itself. It's the only way they can inflate the numbers to fit the agenda.
Thats true, I have seen them try to play that game before.

·
Super Moderator
24,649 Posts
A negotiator would not have added value, and would have potentially increased the body count. The kid was mobile, swinging big blades around at targets and even pursuing targets. It's going to be tough to clear the area and get folks out of the kill zone fast enough even if the kid is static and waiting.

The father is an emotional basket case, probably a gold digger, probably part of the problem, and is working without many facts, if any.

·
Registered
41,382 Posts
What caught my eye was the number of stupids gathering around to watch a guy swinging a knife instead of beating feet outta there.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
What caught my eye was the number of stupids gathering around to watch a guy swinging a knife instead of beating feet outta there.
That had to be one of the hardest parts of the officers decision making. With the way the kid was jumping around, he could have very easily missed and caught a bystander.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Had a similar situation with my oldest grandson(15) earlier in the school year . Kid had picked at him for over a week over a girl and he had reported this to no avail . Kid followed him down a hallway dissin and was towing an audience of 50 or so minnows . When my grandson stopped and turned while asking him to let it be , he shoved up in the grandson's face asking ,"Whatcha gonna do about it ?"
This was all recorded on about 40 cell phones .
clocked him in the nose , and clocked him , and clocked him ,.......................... All on camera . Only one kid , his only best friend , tackled him to get him to stop .
His Dad is a cop and a fighter and his Pap is a brawler , too . We have tried to teach him to avoid conflict or be the last man standing if you got to go round . We negociated a one day suspension for him .
What burned me was 40 cameras rolling and only one student trying to stop the scrap .

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Had a similar situation with my oldest grandson(15) earlier in the school year . Kid had picked at him for over a week over a girl and he had reported this to no avail . Kid followed him down a hallway dissin and was towing an audience of 50 or so minnows . When my grandson stopped and turned while asking him to let it be , he shoved up in the grandson's face asking ,"Whatcha gonna do about it , ?"
This was all recorded on about 40 cell phones .
clocked him in the nose , and clocked him , and clocked him ,.......................... All on camera . Only one kid , his only best friend , tackled him to get him to stop .
His Dad is a cop and a fighter and his Pap is a brawler , too . We have tried to teach him to avoid conflict or be the last man standing if you got to go round . We negociated a one day suspension for him .
What burned me was 40 cameras rolling and only one student trying to stop the scrap .
.............held by 40 sheep,............. :aargh4:

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
yeah, no kidding
from the aspect of personal safety alone, what kind of idiot stands there as if it's a sports event?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts