Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok... I bought some today out of curiosity. What's the thinking behind this round?

Is it a winter round made to penetrate layers of clothing, or what?

Btw, haven't shot it yet.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
50 Posts
I doubt that was the original intent of the round. The 147gr. has been pretty popular in 9mm, especially with law enforcement. Might be pretty good in that situation though. Would love to see a review when you shoot it to see how it performs. Also, who is the manufacturer?

Sent from my LT30at using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Federal. 1000 fps. Same muzzle energy as basically all their rounds.... ~340 ft/pda.

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
I have a few rounds of flat-nosed 147 FMJ left, and I wish I had a thousand more. It's good to have when you need max penetration, and it seems to run thru any gun just fine.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I shot a box of AE 147g flat nose yesterday out of my Steyr M9-A1.

It ran fine and seemed accurate enough, but that's the first time I have ever seen that particular loading. Only thing was...I was only allowed to buy one box at the store I got it from. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I'd use it for defense, especially during the winter months. The flat nose stuff hits harder than round FMJs and has a straighter trajectory. If you can get it at a good price, definitely a good find IMO.

Reactions: rugergunner

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Some European guns with fixed sights are regulated to them. That's why I keep them. Astra 1921, and Star super, both shoot them to point of aim. 115, and 124 grain both hit high. I load them in hard cast and jacketed [when I can find them.] I also have a bolt action rifle that shoots them very well! DR

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ok... I bought some today out of curiosity. What's the thinking behind this round?

Is it a winter round made to penetrate layers of clothing, or what?

Btw, haven't shot it yet.

Truncated FMJ? It's meant to simulate 147 gr JHP for felt recoil, but it's made to be cheaper for paper target practice. I used Fiocci truncated FMJ when I could buy it by the case before the shortage.

Reactions: N.M. Edmands

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'd use it for defense, especially during the winter months. The flat nose stuff hits harder than round FMJs and has a straighter trajectory. If you can get it at a good price, definitely a good find IMO.
What? How "hard" it hits is energy, which is muzzle energy/velocity and mass/weight. It doesn't matter if it's truncated or rounded nose. A rounded nose would actually have a better chance of penetration through layers or barriers. Especially if the round is FMJ, and not a lead round. Also, flatter trajectory? from something that's essentially a flying brick? That sort of defies basics of aerodynamics.

Reactions: N.M. Edmands

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I use 147grn in my Ruger PC9 carbine. WWB 147grn JHP averages 1050fps from my P89 and 1380fps from the 16" bbl of the carbine.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
What? How "hard" it hits is energy, which is muzzle energy/velocity and mass/weight. It doesn't matter if it's truncated or rounded nose. A rounded nose would actually have a better chance of penetration through layers or barriers. Especially if the round is FMJ, and not a lead round. Also, flatter trajectory? from something that's essentially a flying brick? That sort of defies basics of aerodynamics.

The truncated FMJ has higher muzzle energy and has a straighter trajectory through media. I didn't do the testing, just reporting the findings. :wink:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I wish they would make some FNFMJ in around the 124 grain weight, have never really seen any in that weight for the 9mm. I like the penetration of the flat nose full metal jacket bullet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
This makes me curious, i have a 357 sig which basically uses a 9mm bullet and every fmj i have bought 125 or 147 have all been flat nose, can anybody explain that?

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
5,171 Posts
Probably has to do with overall length and making sure it fits the chamber.

Reactions: Superhouse 15

·
Registered
313 Posts
147grn is DESIGNED for longer barrel guns. If fired in barrel length "shorter" than 5", it can cause feed problems.
My best friend encountered this with two new firearms. Too heavy, didn't exit barrel fast enough causing timing of
gun to be off...thus resulting in a FTF and jam. The FACTORY sent him a letter stating gun was good for +P+, but
anything more than 125grn could cause FTF. Swapped back to the 115grn...not a single problem after. I could not
tell you HOW many times I have seen this very same problem on the range and guys scratching their heads, saying
it must be a bad gun or ammo. If you have a short barrel, it can be made reliable by changing the spring to a proper
one for the load...It all depends on the load used as to the weight (in pounds) of the recoil spring needed. This is why
people love the old .45 in the 1911A-1 since it is infinitely customizable, even in shorter guns, there are good spring
variations available. Originally the 9mm was used in the Luger pistols...didn't research the origin...so don't berate me
on factuality, but I would guess that the 147grn might be designed for submachine guns. Personally I the best accuracy
I EVER got from a 9mm was a lead SWC 147grn bullet using a Federal Primer and about 4.2grn Hercules Unique, fired from
a Springfield Armory copy of the CZ-75 full-size gun. It would drive tacks. Just be AWARE, if you have a short barrel gun, I would choose 125grn or less as a personal defense round for reliability...probably the 115grn range. Hornady Critical Defense is probably the best commercially available ammo for this purpose. Their advertising slogan used to be: We make large, open,
fatal wound cavaties.....that's good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.