Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a box of 500 from Cabelas. Lee's 2nd Edition only has data for 165 XTP for my powder choices. Both are hollow points, does anyone know if I can use the XTP data?

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
Plated bullets fall between cast lead and jacketed bullets. Ultimately they are more malleable than jacketed and so are closer to lead in how they respond to loading.

For a given powder charge and OAL, the jacketed bullet will be slower than the lead bullet (and pressures will likely be higher). The safest way to start is to use the JHP load data - at the low end - then work your way up to the velocity you want.

I strongly recommend you get at least one more loading manual, too. Lyman or Hornady are both good; Lyman has more data for the .40 (esp with lead bullets).

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I have reloading for handgunners and Lyman's 49th too. But between the 2, they don't give info for this bullet corresponding with my powders at hand ie. W231, WST, Bullseye and Power Pistol. Plus I always ask questions on this forum before I start loading a new caliber or bullet. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
From the FWIW department, Speer shows a PP load for 165 GD and TMJ of between 9 and 10 gr. I would suggest working SLOWLY up from the start load (or a little below). 231 start-max is shown to be 6.3-7.0.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts