Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virtually everywere I go, .22LR is gone or insanely priced. Yet shelves remain stocked with .17 and pretty cheap. So, I am curious, are there some decent .17 pistols out with reasonable clip sizes (8+)? And what about rifles, any with decent mag sizes (8+)? I know of the semi-auto recall and issues with .17hmr. So something in bolt action for rifles maybe. For the rifle, would like something either with a scope or at least scope attachment points so I can add a 3rd party scope.

Any recommendations as to make/model for pistol and rifle? Looking more at target/range shooting than any SD.

TIA.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
As far as handguns go I have personally not seen any in 17HMR. Marlin makes a bolt action rifle for the 17HMR that holds 7 rounds. I attached a link below for you to use...hope this helps.

Marlin Model XT-17

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Savage Arms

Hard call between the Savage and Marlin. Ruger also makes one.

I went with the Savage after handling both the Marlin and Savage in the Store. The bolt and trigger is smooth as butter on the Savage. Marlin is just ok.

Do not dry fire these. I got 10 round mags for my Savage. comes with 1 5 rounder. The Marlin comes with 1 7 rounder.

Yes you can get the ammo but it is really expensive for what it is.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I see you are in Milwaukee, I am in Waukesha. The Fleet Farm in Germantown has both the Marlin and Savage in stock and you can look them both over.

They sell the .17 HMR in 17 or 20 grain for 12.99 for 50. I think they have another off brand .17 but it looked cheap.

·
Super Moderator
50,609 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
17.jpg

Here is my Savage 93R17 .17 HMR bolt action. I got Weaver steel ring mounts ( grand slam) and Nikon scope. The Stock has the pins in for a sling.

I got is sighted in and it shoots about a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards. At 25 you can put the tiny bullets thru the same hole. At 50 you can shoot a group size of a dime. Bullets fly very flat not much change from 25 yards to 100 yards. Wind is not nice to these bullets. I think is more fun to shoot than a 22LR bolt rifle.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kinda digging that Savage 93. 10 round mags are available 3rd party. And its a nice throw-away price after the ammo hording BS clears up in a year or two. Will have to check the local Cabela's and Gander's to see if they have them sitting round and see how they feel. Wonder if anyone has thumbhole stocks for them. Heading for google...

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
Kinda digging that Savage 93. 10 round mags are available 3rd party. And its a nice throw-away price after the ammo hording BS clears up in a year or two. Will have to check the local Cabela's and Gander's to see if they have them sitting round and see how they feel. Wonder if anyone has thumbhole stocks for them. Heading for google...
Both Gander and Cabelas have them and they have models with scope and ring packages. Fleet had the best price and you get to choose your scope.
have fun shopping and by the way if you get the rifle at Gander. They will sell you 9mm or 22lr from the back room with a gun purchase even though it is a different caliber.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see you are in Milwaukee, I am in Waukesha. The Fleet Farm in Germantown has both the Marlin and Savage in stock and you can look them both over.

They sell the .17 HMR in 17 or 20 grain for 12.99 for 50. I think they have another off brand .17 but it looked cheap.
Appreciate it! Gotta head up to Cabela's this evening to pick up 22 ammo so I can swing in and check them out.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 71000

Here is my Savage 93R17 .17 HMR bolt action. I got Weaver steel ring mounts ( grand slam) and Nikon scope. The Stock has the pins in for a sling.

I got is sighted in and it shoots about a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards. At 25 you can put the tiny bullets thru the same hole. At 50 you can shoot a group size of a dime. Bullets fly very flat not much change from 25 yards to 100 yards. Wind is not nice to these bullets. I think is more fun to shoot than a 22LR bolt rifle.
Which nikon did you get and what was the overall price of the 93, rings and scope? Ironic that my camera is a Nikon D7000 and I got about 3k of Nikon glass for it :)

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stopped by FF last night. Really liked the Savage. Decided to go for it and the nice nikon they had there. Guess what. They don't sell to anyone with a FL license (I have legal residences in WI and FL). But having to actually point out where Florida was on the US map for the clerk at Fleet Farm made me not want to go there anymore. She was clearly educated by the MPS schools. I didn't think fast enough, should have pointed to one of the blue states and she would have been clueless.

Headed for Cabela's. They too had the savage. And they were perfectly willing to sell it to me even with a FL ID. Stupid me put in my WI addy in the computer. Had a blond moment. Have to go back up there with something state issued for WI (tax form or car registration) later this week to pick it up. Got the kit with bushnel scope. It was only $20 different from buying the 93 outright. For $20, I will get the (nearly) free scope and rings. Rings are $10-15. I also found they had rings that fit my 1963 Browning 22 Long Rifle. So I picked up a Nikon 2-7x30 for the 22 as well. So I walked out pretty happy with 3k .22 rounds, scope, rings and with Savage 93/scope on hold.

·
Super Moderator
19,904 Posts
If you don't mind a wheelgun, the Ruger Single-Six is available in .17 HMR, as is the Taurus Tracker with a 7-shot cylinder.

·
Registered
42,127 Posts
Wind drift was tricky enough with my .223. I can't imagine how bad it would be with a .17.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The NNA 17 revolver is kit made any more. I bought one used and contacted NNA about getting another cylinder but they said they quit making them 7 years ago. Not an accurate revolver. Need to have target about 5 yards away to get any accuracy out of it.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I own the Marlin 917v with a Nikon buckmaster scope and love it... Anyway, you can't go wrong with either one. Great guns and I really like the .17 hmr round.
I also own the same set up but the marlin 925m which is .22 mag. I grew up shooting the .22 mag but the .17hmr has grown on me.

Let us know how you like your new gun!

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Smith & Wesson’s .17 HMR Model 647 :danceban: and Ruger 77 :danceban: and have about 3k rnds of ammo.......all bought before the present ammo shortage. I did see .17 cal on the shelves at Wal Mart this past weekend. My fellow shooters thought I was stupid to buy a weird cal but they are singing a different tune today.

·
Banned
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the Savage 93r17 FXP last night from Cabela's. Paperwork taken care of. Got 4 50rd boxes of Winchester ammo, right off the shelf. Remember when you could just buy ammo right off the shelf? Was really nice :)

Got it home last night. Was going to run a few cleaning pads through it to take any milling residue off but realized, my .22 cleaning kit won't fit :( So I installed the bolt and lightly lubed things up. Touched up the top of the mag to remove some of the sharp edges on it. Hopefully prevent the feed issues I see being reported and attributed to the mags. Have to get to Gander Mountain and get a .17 kit and a carrying case for the Savage. I also need to shim up my Nikon 2-7x30 on my Browning as its objective is against the rear sight mount.

Possibly get to the range with the Savage and my old Browning Friday or over the weekend and get them sighted in. I also need to get to another range across town that allows kids "as long as they can control the weapon and shoot over the counter" to measure the counter height. Serena (9) is kinda short, in fact her 6yr old sister is almost the same height. No worries about the 12yr old, she's plenty tall.

Just in case any zealots are looking in, both girls sat with me when I took my pistol class when I was prepping for my CC (they did everything except live fire, and they passed the written test). I have been going over safe handling and procedures at home using airsoft pistols and rifles. And the 12yr old will be taking her safe hunting NRA course this summer.

Will report back in once I get some lead downrange with it and its all sighted in.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Awesome to hear the news and Well Done! In have a feeling that you won't be disappointed! Good Job!

·
Registered
407 Posts
my lgs told me that you can convert your ruger 10-22 to shoot 17hmr for some what cheap. i wana do it but dont know how reliable it would be.. any one know?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts