Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Administrator
143,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to post this link again. :yup:

CLICK HERE TO AVOID A POSSIBLE DANGEROUS MISHAP.

:gah:

Click the above link to learn how to do a complete Safety & Function Check Of Your 1911 Colt Pattern Pistol.

Follow The SIMPLE Instructions EXACTLY.

Then you'll know and be certain that your pistol is 100% Safe to carry.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Well done, QK. It's good for all of us to review procedures for our weapons periodically. I'd hope that others who have similar links for their weapons-of-choice would post them, as well.

·
VIP Member (Retired Staff)
25,483 Posts
If we eventually fix up a reference section this is one of many things we could have available.

I am sure for those new to the platform this could be regarded as vital info.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's not a sticky yet, so it's worth a bump to the top.

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Question

Great post! I am new to 1911s and I recently purchased a Para SSP. I performed all of the test and everything was fine until the functioning test. I can't rack the slide with the trigger pressed! Is this a malfunction with the gun?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm a new member, but I have been shooting 1911's of various types since the 1970's. This is the first time I have ever seen all this information in one place.

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
354 Posts
was good to commit to memory, even though I carry the XD45 my 1911 is a very close backup.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Great reminder, we all get lax from time to time. Thanks! :hand10:

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Won't hurt. This is just great preflight stuff for all us 1911 pilots out there.

Reactions: molleur

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Would you recommend this function check before every firing session? Or perhaps, after so many rounds? Would it hurt the gun to perform these tests TOO much? Just curious!
I do this check after every time cleaning. Other than that, I don't bother. As long as I checked it after disassembling it seemed to work fine, and if I took it to the range and it fired well, then we know it works! :image035:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey, QKShooter, just a note to let you know that you are right on with your 1911 safety checks. I am a former Firearms Instructor myself and just yesterday was in the process of pondering the purchase of one of the new Taurus 1911s, and applied all my usual safety checks, just exactly as you decribed. As an aside, my wife and I are just this month retiring and I thought to obtain one really good pistol to keep for carry, and I really liked the looks and features of the Taurus. Until I performed my standard safety drill, that is. All went well until I performed the thumb safety check. Thumb safety on and pull trigger: OK. Release trigger, then release thumb safety: Hammer fell to half-cock! This was on a brand-new in the box store model. Well, long story short, just like you, a brand-new SIG P220 Carry model now resides in my CCW holster. A lot more money, but a lot more confidence. Thanks for listening and God bless you and yours.

·
Administrator
143,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, I've seen that before but, not with a factory new firearm.
When folks "home smith" and start adding "drop in" aftermarket parts...sometimes the drop in parts don't drop in exactly as they should...and then the thumb safety, the sear, and the hammer go to war with each other. :yup:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pencil Check

I once bought a series 80 Colt 1911 that had the plunger lever installed improperly by the prior owner. First time at the range, the gun went click instead of bang.

Now, after cleaning (especially after a detail strip) on any Series 80 Colt, I do a final function check.

With the gun empty, cocked, and pointed towards the ceiling, I drop a pencil down the barrel - eraser end first. Pull the trigger and the pencil should be launched towards the ceiling. If it doesn't the gun won't fire

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Excellent post. I consider that common knowledge, but forget how many folks buy, knowing nothing. Should be required before purchase, kinda like knowing how to change a flat tire before getting a driver's license!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good advice for the 1911 owner. I have followed this method of checking functionality for years. The one step I perform last though is :

"SEAR ENGAGEMENT TEST: Lock the slide back, grip gun normally, then release the slide stop, allowing slide to slam home with force. The hammer should NOT fall for any reason. If it does then the hammer/sear engagement is too weak. Repeat test once again to be sure."

I will load 2 or 3 'snap caps' in a magazine. This not only protects the breech face, hammer and sear but ensures the round will chamber properly.

Jack

1 - 20 of 45 Posts