Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
One thing I noticed was the half-cock test (step 5). A newer Springfield Armory pistol does this the same way as a commercial series 80 (which I assume you mean a Colt series 80) in that the hammer falls to almost all the way down and when you pull the trigger it comes down but not with enough force to fire the weapon (so they say - I've never tested it).

Great posting and it all makes sense to me. A lot of these things are full of tests that only matter on competition guns. This one is a lot more practical.

I do something similar if I take my 1911 apart (ie remove the hammer, trigger, etc - not just a field strip). I also only load two rounds in the mag the first time I shoot it after I've disassembled it, just in case I REALLY goofed something up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just bought a new Springfield Micro Compac 45 and will be picking up later this week. Thanks for posting the function checks... since it's a used gun I'll definitely be running them before hitting the range

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I just bought a new Springfield Micro Compac 45 and will be picking up later this week. Thanks for posting the function checks... since it's a used gun I'll definitely be running them before hitting the range
Congrats, just know that Springfield uses Series 80 hammers and will not pass the half cock test referenced in the walk through. :bier:

·
Registered
15 Posts
. . . pondering the purchase of one of the new Taurus 1911s . . .
Thank goodness you got the Sig! From my personal experience with Taurus semi-automatics and extremely poor customer service, I've made it a rule not to buy anything made south of the border. The Sig ergonomics are terrific. I'll have to get one, too, someday. (After I have all the revolvers I want first!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to 1911's and this information is worth a bookmark. Thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
hey folks, new guy here and super glad i found this forum and specifically this thread!

my commander "fails" the half cock test. i am able to fire it when it is only half cocked. im assuming my commander is based on the 80 series firing pin? if not, i guess i need to take it to a smith.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
hey folks, new guy here and super glad i found this forum and specifically this thread!

my commander "fails" the half cock test. i am able to fire it when it is only half cocked. im assuming my commander is based on the 80 series firing pin? if not, i guess i need to take it to a smith.
Yes, your XSE has a Series 80 style firing pin safety.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks, OP! I ran it through your tests with one exception and one addition.
except: let slide forcibly go forward - my owner's manual does say : no,no,no!
add-on: the pencil test
Did this with my brand new SA 1911 Loaded after I disassembled it to clean it up. Going to the range tomorrow for the first time! Yay.
PS-this Springfield passed the half-cock test, must not be a series 80.

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
PS-this Springfield passed the half-cock test, must not be a series 80.
Springfield doesn't offer a "Series 80", what some of them do have is a hammer with a 1/4 cock shelf, similar to those on Colt's Series 80.

·
Banned
220 Posts
21 - 40 of 45 Posts