Defensive Carry banner

221 - 240 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
7,882 Posts
Speaking about cost, I can't begin to tell you how many stories I've heard where some 1911 adherent dishes out a huge laundry list of mods and accessories they have purchased for their guns in order to have a truly good one, some totaling in the thousands of dollars. This seems to be the norm with aficionados of this gun.

Does anybody just simply buy a 1911 and use/shoot/carry it straight out of the box? Apparently not.
Out of my 3 1911s that I’ve had, my list of modifications consists of changing a slide lock on one of them to one that’s a different shape. If more people would just go shoot their guns instead of consulting YouTube for the best free mods for 1911s, there would be less issues with guns.

·
Super Moderator
18,276 Posts
Very nice collection bcmgilvery. :yup:

I'm curious about the 1911 at the top of the pic; how old is that one?
Saw that, did you?

It's a Colt Model 1905. A raggy one with a history of coming back up from "south of the border."

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Saw that, did you?

It's a Colt Model 1905. A raggy one with a history of coming back up from "south of the border."

1905? Wow. An impressive piece of history you have there. Bravo!

Is the grip angle slightly different than the others? It looks like it is.

·
8,501 Posts
FBI HRT, most Pinal County (AZ) SWAT, most San Diego (CA) SWAT - just for a few. Have to wonder what elite LE teams know or do that doesn't apply to line LE.

Beyond that, why are the overwhelming majority of "race guns" in the pistol games (IPSC, IDPA, USPSA) based on the 1911 design? Reliability and accuracy are vital for success in the games. I've been ROing major matches for a couple of years now and I have yet to see an Open gun based on a striker design. Am I missing something?
I believe you're missing out on an extensive amount of internet research and only basing your opinion on real world experience. Shame on you Gary! You need to read more and shoot less.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Yeah, yeah, yeah... everybody has the diminutive little wife who can handle the largest of hand cannons with the greatest of ease and can shoot the pants of of Wild Bill Hickok with one arm tied behind their backs while blindfolded.

Do you have any other old, tired cliches you haven't used yet? :rolleyes:
Id say just take a step back here and breath.

I understand your point of view, and it’s ok to have one. Just remember there will be many opinions contrary to yours, and that’s ok too.

Sometimes, it’s just not worth the emotional investment to defend or demonize something, especially if you don’t have any practical experience with something.

And remember, other people’s opinions do not invalidate yours, no more than yours invalidates theres.
If you are willing to listen, and consider others thoughts, opinions, and experience from a neutral standpoint, you gain a wealth of wisdom.

Everybody loses when the conversation degrades to insults.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Id say just take a step back here and breath.

I understand your point of view, and it’s ok to have one. Just remember there will be many opinions contrary to yours, and that’s ok too.

Sometimes, it’s just not worth the emotional investment to defend or demonize something, especially if you don’t have any practical experience with something.

And remember, other people’s opinions do not invalidate yours, no more than yours invalidates theres.
If you are willing to listen, and consider others thoughts, opinions, and experience from a neutral standpoint, you gain a wealth of wisdom.

Everybody loses when the conversation degrades to insults.
Agree...And it's also best to agree to disagree and walk away...Every forum has that that one guy or two who thinks he knows best
and tells you all about his real world experience (I love that one BTW)...You will never change that guys mind ever.
That's what the ignore button is for.

·
Registered
9,092 Posts
It was a joke, I was giving you a break.

And seriously, have you really been counting those rounds? I mean every last little one?
In a way yes, I did run and gun for years and I kept a log on most of my weapons on rounds fired. It's a way to know when it's time to change barrels when needed Seriously , I take care of my weapons, don't you?

·
Super Moderator
18,276 Posts
Yes Tstone, the grip angle is a bit more acute than that of the 1911. Before ever shooting it I thought that perhaps it would be less pleasant than shooting a 1911 gun, but in the event it proved to handle very nicely. Grasping and shooting it does not much suggest the 1911. It's quite accurate and shoots to point-of-aim out to 15 yards or so with a handload that mimics the ballistics of the original 200 grain loading of the ".45 Caliber Rimless Smokeless" which is the way the caliber designation is roll-marked on the slide, now our beloved .45 ACP.

It's suppose to have checkered stocks however only the "ghost-iest" bit of checkering remains on these stocks.

Here's a thread I posted here some years ago about the pistol.
https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/79851-first-colt-45-acp-wasnt-introduced-1911-a.html#post1185809

Here's what the Model 1905 looks like with its fabulous blue finish intact.
Colt 1905 Military .45 ACP Pistol - Coltautos.com

·
Super Moderator
18,276 Posts
Bryan, that Delta 10 sticks out like the red-headed stepchild in your "family portrait," but I bet he's more like the quiet over-achiever.
I almost hate to admit it but lately he's been being the "road trip" choice when we make the 865-mile journey to see our granddaughters.

In fact, though I personally loathe the look of stainless steel, he gets a totin' quite often, I think as much for the unconcern for surface finish as anything. The current "very favorite" totin' 1911 gun in the house is the '67 vintage Government Model, the one with the medallion stocks just above the Delta Elite. The 10mm is a wonder of an automatic pistol cartridge, but the grand .45 ACP still has my heart.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
Yes Tstone, the grip angle is a bit more acute than that of the 1911. Before ever shooting it I thought that perhaps it would be less pleasant than shooting a 1911 gun, but in the event it proved to handle very nicely. Grasping and shooting it does not much suggest the 1911. It's quite accurate and shoots to point-of-aim out to 15 yards or so with a handload that mimics the ballistics of the original 200 grain loading of the ".45 Caliber Rimless Smokeless" which is the way the caliber designation is roll-marked on the slide, now our beloved .45 ACP.

It's suppose to have checkered stocks however only the "ghost-iest" bit of checkering remains on these stocks.

Here's a thread I posted here some years ago about the pistol.
https://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/general-firearm-discussion/79851-first-colt-45-acp-wasnt-introduced-1911-a.html#post1185809

Here's what the Model 1905 looks like with its fabulous blue finish intact.
Colt 1905 Military .45 ACP Pistol - Coltautos.com

Thank you for the links bmcgilvray. Great story of how you bought it, and such a worthy name to give it. The blue finish of the one in the second link looks fantastic, yet yours has a charm all its own.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Forgive me for not reading the previous 232 post but time is limited. I've carried a 1911 either "on or off-duty" for the past 32 years. They are definitely not for everyone , especially not for those who aren't willing to properly maintain it and train properly. They are not inherently unreliable but do require a bit more "TLC" to assure they run properly and that we "run" them correctly. Generations of today don't seem to want to go through the trouble to make sure they are performing properly, I find that akin to the attitude of "taking a pill" to address all our ills, and expecting the government to fix all of our social issues (people just don't want to expend the time and effort). The 1911 is a wonderful design and can be very practical and effective for self defense, but you have to be willing to put forth the effort to enable the design to perform to it potential.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Forgive me for not reading the previous 232 post but time is limited. I've carried a 1911 either "on or off-duty" for the past 32 years. They are definitely not for everyone , especially not for those who aren't willing to properly maintain it and train properly. They are not inherently unreliable but do require a bit more "TLC" to assure they run properly and that we "run" them correctly. Generations of today don't seem to want to go through the trouble to make sure they are performing properly, I find that akin to the attitude of "taking a pill" to address all our ills, and expecting the government to fix all of our social issues (people just don't want to expend the time and effort). The 1911 is a wonderful design and can be very practical and effective for self defense, but you have to be willing to put forth the effort to enable the design to perform to it potential.
I certainly agree.

And that’s why I don’t carry mine much anymore.

I spent 3 hours on the tractor yesterday after work and the gun I had was tossed on the nightstand by the bed, just to be grabbed and carried again today.

Im not real good at babying or taking real good care of my guns. I find that I’m very busy thru the week getting everything done so I don’t have to do them on the weekend.

So the guns I use are not prone to issues after weeks of carry, getting tossed around, scuffed up, and generally neglected.

I haven’t even cleaned my 442 yet after the load testing this week, and it’s in the pocket right now, lol.

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
Or Kimbers. I seem to remember reading about Kimbers and how well they were made and how slick the tuning was on them. It was something that you ordered but, never saw in a gun shop. Then, all of a sudden, lots of people wanted them. Probably people new to shooting who had money or credit and, wanted to be seen at the range with nothing but the best. Kinda a status symbol in their minds. Well, Kimber got top dollar for their product and maybe they didn’t want to lose buyers. Maybe they started cutting some corners to be able to put out on more shelves so as to not lose a sale.

That’s kinda what I’m thinking. But, I was wrong once before....:rolleyes:
I've been given to understand that Kimber has always been as off the shelf semi custom gun. I understand also that prior management concentrated on product and not enough on QC/Customer service . This hurt their reputation although I would hazard the guess that a lot of it was operator error/inexperience .

I don't own one but have shot a few , nice , smooth firearm .

·
Premium Member
5,812 Posts
SA only, manual safety that must be de-activated each and every time, grip safety, low ammo capacity vs. size, recoil of .45acp, reliably issues depending on the manufacturer, cost vs. quality ratio in getting a good example (in other words one may need to spend a lot of money and/or have modifications done in order to have a good one).

These are all viable reasons why the 1911 could be shunned as a defensive carry gun by a lot of people today.

Speaking about cost, I can't begin to tell you how many stories I've heard where some 1911 adherent dishes out a huge laundry list of mods and accessories they have purchased for their guns in order to have a truly good one, some totaling in the thousands of dollars. This seems to be the norm with aficionados of this gun.

Does anybody just simply buy a 1911 and use/shoot/carry it straight out of the box? Apparently not.
Let's see, I run the crap out of mine straight from the box. Then and only then , do I do anything to them. Arced MSH,Beavertail grip safety and , on a the teh ones given to daughters, ambi safeties as #1 daughter and her husband are both southpaws.

For the record , i carry mine daily. Nary an issue . Outside of a couple of Smith revolvers, all i have are Colt Governments and commanders. None are .45s (Not that I don't love the .45)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been a long time fan of the 1911, carried one off duty, trained at Gunsite with one, competed with one, became an O-Frame armorer, etc. I later carried a lightly modified Series 80 Colt Govt. on duty for several years. I admit that I've had some 1911s, mostly Colts in the '70s -'90s, that weren't reliable as received. But I made sure the ones I carried were reliable, and manipulating the thumb safety was not an issue. The 1911 types are certainly very old school, but still a viable defensive firearm IMHO. All that being said, now that I'm retired, I usually carry a smaller, lighter firearm:redface:

BTW, and believe it or not, the pistol that malfunctioned during an incident, in which I really needed my pistol to work, was a Glock.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,915 Posts
I've been a long time fan of the 1911, carried one off duty, trained at Gunsite with one, competed with one, became an O-Frame armorer, etc. I later carried a lightly modified Series 80 Colt Govt. on duty for several years. I admit that I've had some 1911s, mostly Colts in the '70s -'90s, that weren't reliable as received. But I made sure the ones I carried were reliable, and manipulating the thumb safety was not an issue. The 1911 types are certainly very old school, but still a viable defensive firearm IMHO. All that being said, now that I'm retired, I usually carry a smaller, lighter firearm:redface:

BTW, and believe it or not, the pistol that malfunctioned during an incident, in which I really needed my pistol to work, was a Glock.
That's a good looking O1991. :35:

221 - 240 of 245 Posts