Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, Im a new guy here. Ive been visiting the site for quite some time and finally decided to just register! I currently carry a Glock 27 in a IWB holster. I own a Springfield 1911 and was just wondering how everyone else carries theirs?. Im not a very big guy so my concern is how well I could conceal it.
Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
270 Posts
If you use a quality holster it will conceal better than your G27. The thinner profile makes it more concealable and good holsters put the bulk of the gun below the belt line.

The best leather holsters I've used for a 1911 are:
Milt Sparks VM-II
Kramer #3 IWB

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oregonshooter, that url didnt work but hey, thats nice to hear that I may be able to conceal it better when what i have now. If you and anyone else who replies could post a pic as well that would be great

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Sorry no pic of mine but I use a Tucker Gunleather IWB tuckable holster for my 1911 A1. Works great. I'm not a big guy either. Check out their website http://www.tuckergunleather.com

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Give a look at www.andrewsleather.com Sam Andrews makes some of the best CCW leather there is.

His McDaniel IWB rig is very nice and conceals my full size 1911 easily under a t-shirt in the summertime. I'm only 5'8" and 150# so I'm not a big guy either.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
mmmmmmm 1911's, it dosn't matter how you carry them, just as long as you carry them :yup: I use a don hume SOB holster for my Commander and a SOB holster I bought from P95Carry for my Full size 1911. I have a modified Eagle defender on order from Kevin at K&D holsters.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
For me, an IWB with wide offset loops and a good gunbelt are key.
Some examples would be:
Milt Sparks VM-II and Watch Six
HBE Leatherworks COM-3
Brommeland MaxCon V (and VI I believe)

The offset loops spread the gun's weight over a larger area and I feel it's much more comfortable. Can't overstate the importance of a real gun belt enough, especially with the weight of a 5" 1911.
Jack

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts

although my daily carry is a glock 31 (for various reasons), of all my handguns my recently acquired springfield tactical response 1911 is my favorite (unbelievably smooth and accurate). i usually carry it when im going anywhere thats not work related, and i carry it in the above pictured galco suede lined holster (the lined version of the fletch series). some swear by the high priced custom holsters, but my off the shelf galco (over two dozen of them!) serves me very well. typically i buy the standard unlined fletch, but got the lined version for the TRP.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I also carry my 1911's IWB. A SA fullsize and SA micro.
i was skeptical i could hide a fullsize pistol in my waist like that but as i found they are so thin relative to most other guns it surprised the heck out of me how well they carry.
it did take me about a week to get used to IWB carry due to pressure points on my hip/butt so if ya go this route give it some time. i initially thought for sure i made a bad choice on IWB but now its perfect for me.
and second on the good belt. my 1911 carries better on a good belt than does my leatherman on a dress belt. and there is a significant weight diff between a leatherman and a loaded fullsize 1911!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I carried my 1911 in a Milt Sparks Executive Comapnion IWB. Even when I pulled my jacket open wide an looked in a mirror, it was hard to tell there was a gun there. Clip a cell phone on the belt at about 1:00 o'clock and I doubt anyone would see it at all. Also, I found the holster to be very comfortable.

·
Registered
455 Posts
+3 for the C-TAC; I carry my Springfield Champion in it for 8-16 hours/day, and I hardly know it's there. I also like the option of tucking over the gun. As others have said, make sure you use a quality gun belt, and wearing a gun IWB means you will probably have to go up a pants size. Since the photo was taken, I have switched to the velcro clips which make the holster even easier to conceal.

·
Registered
563 Posts
This is a timely discussion (for me at least.)
I have a galco holser and find that the safety can be disengaged as my Ultra Carry to the leather strap has a little relative movement.
Anybody have that occurance? Advice?
It makes me nutz to think I can have it cocked, & not locked.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
elkhunter said:
This is a timely discussion (for me at least.)
I have a galco holser and find that the safety can be disengaged as my Ultra Carry to the leather strap has a little relative movement.
Anybody have that occurance? Advice?
It makes me nutz to think I can have it cocked, & not locked.
My advice in all due repect is lose the Galco and get a holster that works from one of the big boys on this forum.

As Chris, (P95 Carry) says, we are spoiled with the talented leather craftsman we have here, Or something to that affect!

Ti.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts