Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a stainless 1911 around $750 tops. Based on my limited research, there only appear to be a few players.

Springfield Milspec or Loaded (which may be out of my range)
Taurus PT1911 - Not sure of the quality
Rock Island/Armscor - very hard to fine

First, are there any others I am missing? I am leanign towards the SF becuase I like the company, they seem available, however I am torn between a Milspec and a Loaded and cannot seem to make my mind up.

The taurus has my attentions becuase they offer a Rail which seems like it would be handy, But I am jsut not sure if I can trust their history.

THe Rosk Island, would be very hard to find.

Can anyone suggest any others??? I am sure the Milspec/Loaded has been posed before,m any Ideas on how to make a decision?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Everyone I know who has a PT1911 loves it. They have had no problems with them at all. I'm considering one for my next 1911 purchase... They come with many upgraded features that you'd pay hundreds more for with another maker...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Honestly, IMHO and I own a PT1911AR, buying a Taurus is a crapshoot. You might get a really good piece or you might get a piece of junk. If you get a bad one then you get introduced to a real world of hell....Taurus Customer Service.

I would suggest you go with the Springer loaded. You could get a bad Springer, but at least if you do, you have a great customer service dept. standing behind you.

·
Super Moderator
10,458 Posts
I'd look for a Springer loaded, although you might have to raise your price a little bit, or look for used ones. I have a SA GI 1911 and a Stainless Target 1911 (like a loaded with target sights), both have been flawless and are great guns. I haven't had a need to use SA's customer service yet, and don't think I will have to.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hard to wrong with the Milspec from SA. Has everything you need for a SD weapon and is extremely reliable. The loaded is nice but the Mil-Spec is ready to go outta the box without extras you don't really need. I'd especially avoid any 1911 that uses a FLGR system. Not needed and makes maintenance APITA.

Back that up with the best CS in the business (If you need it which is doubtful) and you've got a winner.

Mines 19 years old and still going strong. It was my main CCW till I went back to packing a S&W revolver or two. I still have 100% faith in it's performance and it's now my bedside buddy.

I'd stay away from the Taurus as already mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Hard to wrong with the Milspec from SA. Has everything you need for a SD weapon and is extremely reliable.

Back that up with the best CS in the business and you've got a winner.

Mines 19 years old and still going strong. It was my main CCW till I went back to packing a S&W revolver or two. I still have 100% faith in it's performance and it's now my bedside buddy.
I have two milspecs - both are more then ten years old - one is probably 16 years old. You can't go wrong with them and when the time comes, you can always customize the gun. Springfield makes a very good gun with excellent customer service.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
+1 for all the SA love especially their customer service.

Although I have heard horror stories about their customer service I might consider the new Para Expert which has great features for under $600.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I like the traditional lines of the Springfield MilSpec. I dont get too caught up in the world of custom or semi custom 1911s. Make mine with sights you can see and a lowered ejection port and that is pretty much all I care about. Exended this, ambidextrious that, and my favorite, "memory bump."

Keep it simple with your 1911 and you will live a longer life.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Springfield... you won't be sorry! :wink:

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
First 1911? Go with the SA. The Taurus is a great tinkerer's (sic) gun. Out of the box it's OK, but really needs some reworking to be great. The lawyer hammer with it's goofy lock has to go, and the sear is just awful. The one on mine was so crooked it is amazing that it worked at all. Good rebuild gun but not a starter 1911. Not familiar with the RIA's but pretty sure they fall in the Taurus catagory.

·
Registered
253 Posts
First 1911? Go with the SA. <snip> Not familiar with the RIA's but pretty sure they fall in the Taurus catagory.
OK, I must come to the Rock's defense here. Fine guns at an unbeatable price. Standard GI ia a true mil-spec 1911A1 model 70. No gimmicks, no wierd locks. 3 basic sizes; 3.5 inch barrel (compact, or CS model) 4" barrel nd full size 5" barrel.
There's also a tactical version with better sights, trigger, beavertail MSH and bobbed hammer. Unfortunately for you, no stainless model but there is a very pretty brushed nickel a nd a 2-toned model with a nickel frame and a matte black slide. I have a compact and the full sized 2-tone tactical. You'ld never regret getting one. Great price and the best customer service in the biz.
My Compact

2-tone:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I agree with the majority here, the Springfield 1911s are fantastic for the money and come with a lifetime warranty. I hear nothing but good things about their customer service, so if something ever happens to your Springfield 1911, they'll treat you right!

You can easily find a GI or Mil-Spec model for around 600 dollars. If you're willing to save a little bit more, you can get into a Loaded model.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
I am looking for a stainless 1911 around $750 tops. Based on my limited research, there only appear to be a few players.

First, are there any others I am missing? I am leanign towards the SF becuase I like the company, they seem available, however I am torn between a Milspec and a Loaded and cannot seem to make my mind up.

The taurus has my attentions becuase they offer a Rail which seems like it would be handy, But I am jsut not sure if I can trust their history.

Can anyone suggest any others??? I am sure the Milspec/Loaded has been posed before,m any Ideas on how to make a decision?
There are really only a few really good 1911's. Most are going to be somewhat more that what you are willing to pay for. My advice is to save and then buy a 1911 pistol of great quality.

I have a Kimber SS TLE/RL II Custom that cost about twice your budget but it is a pistol I will never part with. It is possible to sometimes find them used. In fact, probably easier now due to the economy.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I won't comment on the firearms themselves, I will say that when you do decide don't let saving a couple of bucks keep you from getting exactly what you want. I'm sure everyone around here has at least once, including myself, and you'll end up spending even more money trying to make it the gun you really wanted or you'll eventually buy the gun you did want. That being said, you can never have too many firearms.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
+ 1 for Para's GI expert its nice for under the $600 mark.

·
Super Moderator
22,291 Posts

I would try and handle as many of the manufacturer's I could, I would not buy a 1911 "cold." And don't get caught up in the "bells & whistles" you don't need, nobody but you knows what you need. :wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts