Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all -

Was in a LGS and saw they had an RIA 1911 Tactical in 10mm. I was curious if anyone has a 1911 chambered in 10mm, and the pros/cons of them?

The 10mm is a hell of a round, and it carries 8 like the .45. I understand the basic comparison in ballistics, but I was wondering more from a chassis and firing standpoint.

Does the 1911 handle the 10mm alright? Does it cause any issues, like accelerated wear, with the spring or maybe the frame or breech? Does it recoil excessively harder than the .45 in a metal frame? Or does it not really matter? I was thinking of getting another 1911 and a 10mm seems like a fun addition with carry potential.

·
Super Moderator
18,479 Posts
I have a Colt Delta Elite in 10MM; so far I have only run a few boxes of ammo through it. To me recoil is just slightly softer than 45ACP and no real problem.

ColtDE_R.JPG ColtDE_L.JPG

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that's nice, I love the matte finish. Have you tried JHP's yet through it? Does it have some of the typical feed issues with JHP's? I know that's often make/model independent but I'm just thinking that since the design is essentially the same it might be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
18,479 Posts
Wow that's nice, I love the matte finish. Have you tried JHP's yet through it? Does it have some of the typical feed issues with JHP's? I know that's often make/model independent but I'm just thinking that since the design is essentially the same it might be an issue.
JHPs, FMJ, just like a teenager it will eat anything.

Reactions: AK_Brian

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, understood, thanks :) I figure for the price it's worth a shot (pun intended) but just like to get input before buying something different :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Does Colt currently make the Delta Elite? I know they made it off and on for awhile.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 10mm is a hell of a round, and it carries 8 like the .45
I have no useful experience/relevance to your question but I've told myself if I ever get a 10mm it's going to be the Perfect Ten with chrome finish. It holds 14+1 btw. Surprised to hear someone feels the 10mm has a softer recoil. My thinking would be the 10 would be much snappier with the "real" loads but then again, never shot one.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I've had a 5" and a CCO chambered in 10mm, ad well as a few other 10mm platforms. With full power loads it will kick a bit. Shooting 45acp after shooting hot 10s feels like going from 45acp to 9mm in a 1911.

I had no feed issues with either of mine that weren't mag related. It's a great caliber if you get real 10mm rounds. Most off the shelf stuff is weak.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Who still makes "real" 10mm loads?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Who still makes "real" 10mm loads?
Underwood loads them to potential. Buffalo Bore is another. Double Tap has a reputation for not meeting claims. Winchester Silvertips are good as well.

Check out the forum 10mm Firearms for more info. There are numerous ammo tests done by members there.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I carried a 10mm on duty as a street cop when it was still popular with law enforcement. The Winchester Silvertip is a really good load and packs a whallop on the receiving end. I performed the ballistics test for the 10mm for my department in order to find a duty load for the caliber. We ended up selecting both the Winchester and Corbon loads. I am uncertain if Corbon still has a 10mm, but if they do, they are great as well. I was privy to information on one police use of the 10mm in an actual shooting. At traffic stop distance the Silvertip that was fired was simply devastating....and I truly mean devastating.

Reactions: AK_Brian and G-man*

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
When I was with the department that authorized the 10mm the Colt Delta Elite was not on the approved list (the sitting sheriff didn't like SA's like most administrations don't). However, a fellow officer in a concurrent jurisdiction carried one on/off duty. Since we shared an affinity for the 10mm, we often discussed it while working in the same patrol areas. The Delta was as smooth a pistol as a person could hope for, and showed the years of craftsmanship that Colt is known for. Accuracy was beyond acceptable with the ammo commonly used decades ago, which averaged around the 1 3/4 to 2" mark. As I said in the post above the 10mm in loadings for serious work is a devastating round. The Delta is also one serious pistol to fire it from.

Reactions: msgt/ret and OD*

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
As a side note: I did a quick search of the distributors and it appears Lucky Gunner and Midway both have ammunition for the 10mm. Midway is stocking the DoubleTap and Buffalo Bore loads which should prove to be real haymakers.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
20,563 Posts
There are now several companies that make original Norma type loads for the 10mm. They are all good.

I exclusively use Double Tap, because I am loyal. DT is probably the reason for the popularity the 10mm is now seeing, because they made 10mm full power loads when everyone else turned their backs to it.

The others are good, but have more so jumped on the bandwagon.

Reactions: GhostMaker

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
I think the ballistics of a 10mm are quite a bit better than the 45 ACP. From what I have seen there is a greater difference in those 2 as there is from a 9mm +P and a 45 +P. From the gel tests I have seen the 10mm expands quite a bit more than a 45 as well. The ammo for the 10mm is fairly expensive but not a lot more than a .45. The recoil on the target loads like CCI Blazer is not too bad but still are accurate. I have tried the Double Tap and Underwood and IMO the Underwood felt like a much hotter load. If you go with a 1911 you just need to watch what ammo you buy because I know Underwood has some ammo that they say not to shoot in the Delta Elite and some other 1911's. I have a Glock 20 which I think is nice because you have 15+1 of a hot round like the 10mm.

I believe that Colt stopped making the Delta Elite for a while because there was a part that was breaking but they corrected that issue before they put them back in production.

·
Registered
14,712 Posts
You have to be careful. Colt does not fully support the chamber and this could cause problems with hot loads. I would check the RIA and see if it has a ramped chamber or the standard 1911 chamber.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
There are now several companies that make original Norma type loads for the 10mm. They are all good.

I exclusively use Double Tap, because I am loyal. DT is probably the reason for the popularity the 10mm is now seeing, because they made 10mm full power loads when everyone else turned their backs to it.

The others are good, but have more so jumped on the bandwagon.
Do you have a chronograph and if so have you ever tested the Double Tap ammo to see if the velocity is close to what they advertised.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts